Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Introducing my Guards Red C2S

Kiernan

First post, so let me introduce myself and my new car.

I've had BMW M3's for the last 10 years, but due to a combination of slight disappointment with the new M4 and the desire for a change, started thinking of where to go next. The obvious progression for me (and others on here, it would seem) would be a Porsche. I initially tried a Cayman which I thought was excellent, but the demon in my head told me that a 911 was what I really wanted. Unfortunately, a new one was too expensive so I had to look at used cars. This leads me to the 911 you can see below.

My list of must haves was;

- Guards Red
- C2S
- Sunroof
- Manual gearbox.

Thankfully after a bit of searching I found this car which I picked up on Friday. It's a 6 month old example so it's effectively brand new.

Still getting to grips with it, but I'm loving it so far. It's nice to have what I'd call a proper sports car. What I mean is that whilst the M3 was a fantastic car, with a great V8 engine, it was still a fast 3 series The 911 feels relatively bespoke and more intimate. It also generates much more interest, and so far it's all been positive.

As I had to compromise a bit on the choice of specification, I might want to make a few changes, so wondered if anyone could answer a few questions;

- My car came with the Heated Steering Wheel. Is it possible to fit the multi function controls to this wheel, or do I need to buy a completely new wheel? If the controls can be fitted at a reasonable cost, it might be worthwhile just to gain a way of adjusting the volume.
- No rain sensor/auto dim mirror. Unbelievable when a reasonable spec Fiesta comes with these as standard, but not an £80,000 + Porsche. Again, can the be fitted?

Anyway, onto the pictures.

And finally, a shot parked up with a friends 997 C4S having been out for a blast on some country roads on Saturday.

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum. Great choice of colour - the 991 looks stunning in Guards Red. Know what you mean about some of the features and toys we now take for granted. Most can be retro-fitted - but at a price! I'd give it at least six months as you'll probably find you can live without them anyway.

Nice car OP :thumb: the 991 does look good in red which will be the colour of my next 991

Kiernan said:
My list of must haves was;

- Guards Red
- C2S
- Sunroof
- Manual gearbox.

I like the must have's

Very nice indeed! :thumbs:

Now that 'S' is nice in Guards, ( i had a GT3 in GR & loved it ) it really suits the 991 S....... looks the business..
The 991 has a few foibles which i dont like but overall its a stunning car & that must be one of the nicest Ive seen so far - Congrats on your purchase !!

T

Cheers Guys. Thanks for the compliments. Seems to sum up 911 ownership so far for me, everyone seems to be positive about the car which is a nice surprise.

Unfortunately I can't drive the car as I've done my shoulder in, so all I can do is look at it parked up in the garage. Hopefully the recovery will be quick and with the help of antibiotics I'll be able to get back to having some fun again in no time.

Very nice....how are you finding the 7 speed manual?

~ Maxie :thumbs:

Maxie said:

And the clutch :?:

Maxie said:

I've not had a problem with the gearbox at all, in fact it's still one of the better manual gearboxes out there. I'll be honest and say that it's not as slick as the manual in the 997, but it's still pretty good.

Then again, I've come from an E92 M3 manual which seemed to get slagged off by many users, but other than the change from 1st to 2nd, I got on fine with it. This was probably helped by fitting the shorter gearknob from the US market F10 M5, but it was never much of an issue anyway.

The clutch felt a bit odd at first (slighly 'springey') but after half an hour, I've stopped noticing.

Agree with Fox Terrier's comment on the toys, I'm going to live without them for a few months to see how I get on with things. I suspect it won't be an issue (is the stereo really that far away as to make adjusting the volume difficult?), so I'm just going to enjoy driving the car. Hell, let me just remind myself, I've got a 911 - sounds pretty good to me!

Kiernan said:
Maxie said:

I've not had a problem with the gearbox at all, in fact it's still one of the better manual gearboxes out there. I'll be honest and say that it's not as slick as the manual in the 997, but it's still pretty good.
That's good to know as I would like to have a manual should I tread down the 991 route. I saw a manual C4S for sale on PH the other day for £68k which I thought was pretty good value. I had thought that the depreciation was caused by lack of PDK which can only mean good news for buyers who are interested in the manual option only.

~ Maxie

Kiernan said:
Then again, I've come from an E92 M3 manual which seemed to get slagged off by many users, but other than the change from 1st to 2nd, I got on fine with it.

My first E92 was a manual and I never understood the complaints about the gearbox...

Kiernan said:
Hell, let me just remind myself, I've got a 911 - sounds pretty good to me!

Snap! Keep thinking the same. Caught sight of the cars reflection leaving a BP garage this morning and just thought "Wow, that is some car... and you are sat in it!"

:puh:

Keirnan,
As was mentioned in another thread, some folks have been hearing rattles in their glass sunroof when it's closed. Any issue for you?
Thanks, UT Bondman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back