Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evo Aug 2014 & 996 Turbo

ursicles

Spa-Francorchamps
This months Evo buyers advice section....

Evo suggesting buying a 996 turbo and using it is free motoring! Looks like the press is noticing the car is a bargain at the mo!

They advocating a low mileage manual with history and invoices as the holy grail it seems.

Haven't read the article, but good advocacy as that reaffirms my position because I bought a low mielage 2002 model with manual box (22k miles on purchase in 2012, now on 29k, with full OPC main dealer history.

It's a keeper! When I can stretch to a Ferrai Modena, that will be an addition to, not a replacement for my 996 Turbo.

996 Turbo - brilliant cars. I gaze at that seductive wide ass every day!

It's a pain that article went in when it did, I may face greater competition in trying to track down my ideal car now...! :roll:

I've driven a C4S with a Tip transmission and actually thought the auto mode was quite good. I was ideally wanting a manual though, and now reading that as a very loose steer, I may now hold out for one.

Could take a time though (and still haven't sold the Lotus yet :wack: )

Mole, don't discount the 'tip version, they are amazing bits of kit. Manual owners need to try one properly before dismissing them.

They are quick too, johnnydangerous sent me some 1/4 mile info for a stock K16 turbo vs his modified manual car. The tiptronic was slightly quicker time wise but about 10 mph down on the trap speed. Bear in mind that his car had 500 horses, not 420. A properly driven tiptronic car might prove to be surprisingly rewarding in the twisties too.

Mine was certainly no slouch on a Silverstone track day, the tip buttons work pretty well once the 'box has warmed up. As for future values, who cares! If they rise, all well and good, if they stand still, that's a bonus too but the real value of these cars is the drive they deliver down your favourite stretch of road. And that to me at least, is priceless. If they rocket in value, they will all disappear into collections and garages, which would be criminal in my view.

My preference for a manual turbo is not based on speed and lap times.
To me there is something about the third pedal and that stick in the left hand, dropping a cog down to 3rd and blasting past everything in sight and changing up to 4th before the red line, braking, and then dropping down a gear for the tight left or right hander and accelerating out of it on seeing the exit point and snicking the next gear up before repeating it all over again on twisty country lanes.

Have you seen my thread on 996T availability for July 2014? Not that many around it seems..maybe the article is correct in it's assumptions that the masses are waking up to the 996T.

I've never owned a Tip/Auto before. All my previous sports cars have been manuals, and i have loved them. I nearly bought a 370z Auto but decided against it (not really different enough from my 350z HR engined car at the time).

Test drove my first 996T (manual) and loved it. Couldn't agree with the £32k price tho. I ended up going the Tip route - it's a staggering gearbox (and fair few thousand £s cheaper - so that's slush-fund money!). God only knows how good the modern PDK/DSG boxes are!!!

In town the car feels like a Rolls Royce - shifts are seemless, utterly seemless. On a good A road or B road, flick the car to 'Manual' mode, and you can extract a ludicrous amount of performance out of the car. I don't know how fast the changes are...1/2 second? Less? More? But they shift this quickly each and every time i need them to, leaving me to focus on the road, the corner, the position, reducing speed, accelerating etc. All the while with both hands firmly on the wheel.

I think DynoMike is correct - until you have given the Tip a good test, you won't realise how good they can be. In the hands of an above-average driver like me they help me extract more from the car than i could with a manual. I suspect better drivers/really great drivers might feel the opposite is true of course!

DynoMike said:
Mole, don't discount the 'tip version, they are amazing bits of kit. Manual owners need to try one properly before dismissing them.

They are quick too, johnnydangerous sent me some 1/4 mile info for a stock K16 turbo vs his modified manual car. The tiptronic was slightly quicker time wise but about 10 mph down on the trap speed. Bear in mind that his car had 500 horses, not 420. A properly driven tiptronic car might prove to be surprisingly rewarding in the twisties too.

Mine was certainly no slouch on a Silverstone track day, the tip buttons work pretty well once the 'box has warmed up. As for future values, who cares! If they rise, all well and good, if they stand still, that's a bonus too but the real value of these cars is the drive they deliver down your favourite stretch of road. And that to me at least, is priceless. If they rocket in value, they will all disappear into collections and garages, which would be criminal in my view.

Check out the spec of the Syvecs S8 plug and play for the tip you can alter loads of stuff and make it even more snappy.

JohnnyDangerous said:
DynoMike said:

Check out the spec of the Syvecs S8 plug and play for the tip you can alter loads of stuff and make it even more snappy.

Yep! It is the best Ecu available IMO.We have just had a turbo Hayabusa on the Dyno running a Life F88, which is the mother system for Syvecs. That little baby gave over 400 horses from 1299cc, with a monster 240ft/lbs with not very much boost on board. The engine runs an air shift gear change, controlled electro-pneumatically by the Ecu. We were able to log the rotation of the gear barrel at 1000hz in order to set up the shifts.

It is such a great piece of kit. We managed to switch from a 97 RON, 4 injector set up, to 8 injectors, play with fuel flow control and run on Methanol, in the space of 20 minutes! The final Meth map took around 4 hours to complete, based on the initial petrol calibration, which we had refined first off. The wastegate control strategies are incredible, though I'm not sure if the Syvecs has exactly the same software in this regard. The same goes for the closed loop knock control.

Have you got one fitted to yours yet?

I really didn't mean to kick off a Tip vs Manual debate (sorry about that - I imagine it's a discussion as old as time on here).

Once the Exige is sold I'll be able to test drive with a true eye to buy - as yet I haven't gone beyond driving the C4S Tip (which as I say, for an auto box was very good).

I will look to drive both variants to decide; but can't help thinking I'll buy on condition more than the box it has because the C4S didn't turn me off to an auto.

Turbo Hyabusa??

Jesus christ that must be fast!!

For me had to be manual only becuase i think manuals are now a dying breed as auto boxes are so capable so this could well be my last manual car.

Also - as said above - with a manual box its all down to me - no computer anything.

Hey guys

New to this forum and just seen this thread.....

Fully agree with Evo as just found myself a 996 Turbo.

Manual, FPSH, 20k miles from sept 2002. Still under Porsche warranty scheme.

Wanted a manual for the involvement as I drive an auto everyday and soon there will be no manuals!

Really happy with the car, everything and more than expected :thumb:

Gregbo

Gregbo said:
Hey guys

New to this forum and just seen this thread.....

Fully agree with Evo as just found myself a 996 Turbo.

Manual, FPSH, 20k miles from sept 2002. Still under Porsche warranty scheme.

Wanted a manual for the involvement as I drive an auto everyday and soon there will be no manuals!

Really happy with the car, everything and more than expected :thumb:

Gregbo

:welcome: to 911uk and to the 996 Turbo club. :thumb:

Personal preferences aside.
I'm in a manual Turbo and have to agree you need to try the Auto Box on a Turbo before discounting it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back