Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 vs BA.....this time I have to win! (Rematch!)

aak

Well, it's been a year and the gauntlet has been set again!

Some of you may remember my trip down last year.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=85424&start=0

It really did come down to the wire! It was all smooth sailing until I was just outside Nice. The GF won by about 15 minutes! I couldn't believe it!! All in all I had a great drive down. Simply put: it was so much fun.

Last year it was the first big road trip to get to know the car. The 993 didn't put a foot wrong. At every petrol station people came up to take pictures and have a look round the car. Even the local boys in blue wanted a look around the car.

This July a friend of ours is having her birthday in St Tropez. The GF is flying into Nice and I am driving to the hotel in Cannes. She is flying out of Heathrow on the 3pm flight. I haven't been given the full details yet! Al i do know for sure is that I've got a full day of work the day before.

I've got to be honest with you guys: I am excited again!

The car has and quite a few changes since last year (none increasing the power though!). I'll list them in alter post. It has recently had a major service and it is due to go back to Sid at PorscheTorque for a pre trip inspection as well as having a few other things fitted.

I've got to do it this time!

:thumbs:

Good on ya a 993 actually being used :thumb:

I followed this last year and was shaking like a shitting dog when it came down to the wire at the end :what:

Good luck, but you might want to remove her phone battery to cause some delays at security and give you an edge... :bandit:

Yep, I'm looking forward to it. Just a couple of weeks time. Friends at work are already starting a sweepstake.

Loving this....

What tactics are you employing to give you the edge this time?

mohitos said:
Loving this....

What tactics are you employing to give you the edge this time?

Get my petrol stops right for a start! I had a completely unnecessary one last year that aded about 20 minutes in total! Aggghhhh!!

All I know is that I *must beat her. I can't lose twice! Last year I met her at the parents house but this time we are meeting at a hotel which is a little easier to get to.

Happily listen to any suggestions. I think Pzero won the poll last year

:clap:

I still owe him a drink!

Just read 'Part I' - brilliant! Must have been a thrilling drive down. Route Napoléon (or even Gorges du Verdon) a must on the way up if you didn't last time :yes:.

aak said:
It has recently had a major service and it is due to go back to Sid at PorscheTorque for a pre trip inspection as well as having a few other things fitted.
What does the pre-trip inspection cover, that a major service doesn't? You definitely spoil your car 8).

Look forward to the 'live updates' once again, and more photos. Drive safely - I'm sure you'll win this time :).

ch3tman said:
Just read 'Part I' - brilliant! Must have been a thrilling drive down. Route Napoléon (or even Gorges du Verdon) a must on the way up if you didn't last time :yes:.

aak said:
It has recently had a major service and it is due to go back to Sid at PorscheTorque for a pre trip inspection as well as having a few other things fitted.
What does the pre-trip inspection cover, that a major service doesn't? You definitely spoil your car 8).

Look forward to the 'live updates' once again, and more photos. Drive safely - I'm sure you'll win this time :).

Thanks Chet. I just need a few things fitted to the car and asked Sid to give it the once over. The trip isn't for a couple of weeks time but TBH I have full faith in the car. The GF is coming back with me in the car so we have booked a few restaurants on the route home. The one caveat was that I had to have functioning AC (she almost became exGF). I don't ever use, never have. Thankfully it really did only need "seal and regas". Two months down the line and it is still blowing cold.

Chet when is your next big road trip?

aak said:
Thanks Chet. I just need a few things fitted to the car and asked Sid to give it the once over. The trip isn't for a couple of weeks time but TBH I have full faith in the car. The GF is coming back with me in the car so we have booked a few restaurants on the route home. The one caveat was that I had to have functioning AC (she almost became exGF). I don't ever use, never have. Thankfully it really did only need "seal and regas". Two months down the line and it is still blowing cold.

Chet when is your next big road trip?

....ahh yet more TLC :) - it most definitely shows - your car looks fantastic!

The route back has great potential if there is the two of you - scenic roads, nice hotels, restaurants, etc.
I guess the loser will be picking up the bill? :lol:.

No venture into continental Europe this year I'm afraid - the focus is very much on the property work. I'll be keeping my 993 forever (yep, really) so plenty of scope for road trips from 2015 and beyond, hopefully.

In the meantime, will be taking inspiration from your adventures and reports - as someone described in the Part I thread - living the dream! :thumbs:.

It will all come down to what time of day you hit Lyon......often fighting your way through the city (by the river) is quicker even though the AutoRoute signs will tell you to use the ring road - they always say there is a delay to discourage people from the central route. Bon chance!

Riviera Bob said:
It will all come down to what time of day you hit Lyon......often fighting your way through the city (by the river) is quicker even though the AutoRoute signs will tell you to use the ring road - they always say there is a delay to discourage people from the central route. Bon chance!

Thanks Bob. :thumb:

Where in the South are you?

Zingari said:

I followed this last year and was shaking like a shitting dog when it came down to the wire at the end :what:

You certainly know how to paint a picture with words. :floor:

Millomboy said:
Zingari said:

You certainly know how towing a picture with words. :floor:

Just read this :floor:

aak said:
Where in the South are you?

On the coast between Nice and Monaco.....does the clock stop at the Cannes hotel or Nice airport? If it's the hotel you can win this year as you'll avoid the traffic going into Nice (which is heavier than usual at the moment due to roadworks on the A8/airport junction - they'll never be finished in time!) - and the girlfriend will have to negotiate them on her way to Cannes.

Thoroughly enjoyed your thread last year, I doubt this one will be any less compelling..
I must make sure that "my friend" gets his timing right for the bomb hoax call at Heathrow. :eek:

With you all the way. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back