Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 Turbo - Over rev on start up, see Page3

kam

Nurburgring
On normal start up the rev range is below 2k.

Mainly when the car is cold and not used for a few days, the car over revs to nearly 3k. Sound of the engine and exhaust is very load.

OPC is looking into this and have not come up with any answers at present.

Have done a few searches over the web and found one possible cause of incorrect gap between the the crank sensor.

Has anyone had this issue and solved this....

I occasionally get this in my car, I spoke to an OPC about it and they said don't worry they do this now and then, actually I may bring it up as they have my car at the moment.

BingB said:
I occasionally get this in my car, I spoke to an OPC about it and they said don't worry they do this now and then, actually I may bring it up as they have my car at the moment.

Not a good answer from OPC!..

I have taken video of the various start up over revs and passed these onto the service manager. He is looking into this, I have warranty and would like to solve this.

Seems to be a large amount of cars across the 997 models doing this....

Be interested to hear how you get on as mine always overrevs on start-up for about half a minute before settling down. bought the car in January and I assumed it was normal!

I'm 99% sure an element of higher revs is normal on startup ( i have had it on my c2s and turbo) and I read on a 911 brochure I had in my OPC wallet that its to do with emissions and getting the cats up to temperature quickly.

Or is this more serious revs?

Yep mine does it , not sure about the revs in numbers but I start mine take the charger off and open up the garage doors and you can hear the engine note drop very slightly . Is it not something to do with the pressure for the hydrolic clutch.

isn't the slightly increased revs at start up by design and to do with the secondary airpump? - which does what it does for the sake of emissions on cold starts. - This is certainly the case for the NA cars.
The increased revs at startup for the OP does sound excessive though. Mine starts at about 1000 and then drops back to 800.

The issue is only on first start up.

Revs up to just below 3k and settles down to normal cold start.

Not right, sounds as if I have pushed the pedal right down as I start up.

Let you know if I get any outcome from OPC.

On normal start up it's around 1.5k 2k rpm then settles, the OP is saying his goes to nearly 3k from cold, mine does exactly this occasionally and I'm sure 3k from cold is not normal.

Mine does exactly the same - on some cold starts when it initially fires it jumps straight to around 3k before immediately falling to a normal cold idle, then after about a minute, reduces to a normal idle figure.
I read that it is possibly due to crank sensor spacing?

One possible solution I read that seems to work for me 100% of the time - before starting the engine, turn ignition to position where all the warning lights come on, then press accelerator all the way to the floor and release, then start the car. Every time I have done this I have avoided the initial over rev on start.
No idea why it works!!

Yeah I get this, was wondering why but never got around to asking about why. Will be interesting to hear the outcome.

I'm no technician but I think this is normal as it's the cold start mechanism doing its job. The engine revs at idle probably cannot be adjusted as per a carburettor car as its all controlled by algorhythms in the ECU.

So probably not worth worrying about as its somethign that appears to be the norm on cold start-up. But I'm willing and open to learn if this is not the case.

cheshire911 said:
I'm no technician but I think this is normal as it's the cold start mechanism doing its job. The engine revs at idle probably cannot be adjusted as per a carburettor car as its all controlled by algorhythms in the ECU.

So probably not worth worrying about as its somethign that appears to be the norm on cold start-up. But I'm willing and open to learn if this is not the case.

I agree with what you are saying, but thought I take it further with opc.

Car is going in next week, let you know of any outcome.

Hi
No luck with OPC, they had the car for over a week and could not find any faults.

I was thinking maybe it is a problem with the throttle body. Removed it off over the weekend and gave the flap area a good clean.

Removed the side electric body part and cleaned the internal circuit board tracks which where quiet dirty.

So far so good, will let you know if it has solved the start up issue!...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back