Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tools on Ebay, your thoughts please

I would buy a nice big empty toolchest and then fill it with the tools you want.

tbrown said:
I would buy a nice big empty toolchest and then fill it with the tools you want.

I would agree. Why pay for a load of stuff you will never use. It will be cheap stuff too...when your washing machine dies it gets picked up from the quayside in newhaven, sent to China and returns as a 13mm spanner :lol:

Have a look at his other items , I have the 26 and the 40 .
Really great gear.
Buy the tools you need not a job lot of stuff you won't use.
The sgs jacks on ebay are great gear too. They did a good deal for 911 uk.

Not sure about that specific item, but I'd be very wary of Ebay specials- I've seen a couple of those things in the flesh and they were not great.

You can do a lot worse than Halfords Professional range. I've had their socket sets, spanners and ratchet spanners for years, badly abused them and they are all still good to go. Also have a lifetime guarantee of sorts so you if you break a spanner or socket you just go back in and they give you another. Their pro tool cabinets are good value too- I have a rollcab, mid box and top box from them and they have lasted well over 10 years so far.

Clarke HD pro cabinets from machine mart are good to but can be a bit pricey.

PS: buying tools is addictive. Typing 'Snap-On' into Ebay is not advised :grin:

Simple, buy a halfords pro socket set, job done!

The only reason that I would consider purchasing the chest and tools together was if the drawers had the foam liners cut out to take the tools which this set doesn't appear to have.

I purchased one of the tool chests from the same ebay seller about four years ago and i'm very pleased with it, although I did go and look at it before handing over the money.

Not sure about the quality of the tools and as others have said its usually best to get the tools you need and Halfords Professional are up there with the best, especially when on offer.

Something else to note about that set...

The spanners all appear to be double open enders, or double ring spanners.

No self respecting mech I know would ever buy them.
Completely pointless & a waste of money.

As everyone else states: Buy a half decent roll cab & fill it with the tools you will use.

Can't recall off hand, but some of the callipers have cap screws M8 or M10.
Others have Torx, although I cant remember which size.

The halfrauds isnt a bad looking set, although for most cases the only thing you will use 1/2" drive sockets is taking off the wheels.

Everything else I use 3/8" & a good 1/4" set.

:thumb:

As said above the cabinets are really good , when I spoke to the seller before my purchase he advised me you can stand in the draws and test the runners for strength and smoothness , so I did.
I have had the halfords and machine mart tool chests for work and the paint never seems to stay on , they bubble up after 12 month of light use.
When buying mine I decided on stainless steel , 4 years later it still looks like new.

Re: Thanks

PaulC4S said:
What type of hex head do i need to remove the discs on my C4S btw?

10mm hex & T55 torx, You may not need both if the caliper bolts
have been replaced recently.

Thanks, I have bought the Halfords 170 peice tool kit and the spanner bundle, looks very good.

Paul

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back