Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2014 Race 5 & 6 Thruxton

Porsche News

Thruxton date for Porsche Carrera Cup GB

Thruxton, one of the tracks that can always throw up drama and surprise, is the location for rounds five and six of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB (3/4 May) and the high-speed Hampshire track has regularly delivered some of the championship's most exciting racing.

Even when the track conditions are consistent, Thruxton is a daunting place in the latest Type 991 911 GT3 Cup, with the 460hp cars topping 150mph on the rush up Woodham Hill. Add in the issue of tyre management, which is always a big factor at Thruxton, and the stage is set for two compelling races heading into the championship's spring break. After the Thruxton weekend, the Carrera Cup action resumes with a sensational date on the morning of the Le Mans 24-hour when it runs alongside the Carrera Cup France as the key support race to the famous 24-hour marathon in mid-June.

However, even the high speed sweeps of Thruxton will be hard pressed to top the most recent race at Donington Park for drama. While championship leader Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) recovered from a first corner spin, young Josh Webster (Redline Racing) made an inspired call as the rain arrived mid-race. He dived into the pits for treaded tyres and duly romped to victory on an increasingly wet track.

For 20-year old Josh, the 2014/15 Carrera Cup GB Scholarship driver, this was a first victory and marked the earliest victory in the season for any of the Scholarship winners. Meadows, the reigning champion, remains the ultimate benchmark after two maximum scores at Brands Hatch and a win in the opening race at Donington, but has only an eight-point lead over Webster after the first four races.

Fastest of all in testing at Thruxton earlier in April was Spanish ace Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and he currently lies third in the points ahead of series newcomer Paul Rees (In2 Racing). Paul is getting quicker and quicker as he builds experience of the car and took an important first podium finish at Donington. Ranged against the established Pro racers will be former single-seater racer Oscar King, who handles the guest car from Parr Motorsport.

With Pro-Am1 points leader Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) missing Thruxton due to business commitments, Pro-Am1 is set to be headed by his team mate Justin Sherwood, who will face the challenge of Salisbury racer Graeme Mundy (In2 Racing).

Perhaps the most open of the three categories this season is Pro-Am2, with three winners from four races to date. Six points ahead starting the weekend is Oxfordshire's Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and he is the only one of the trio of Pro-Am2 racers with previous race experience at Thruxton.

However, both Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and actor Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) have shown themselves to be fast learners and both ran strongly in testing. With Will Goff (In2 Racing) electing to miss the weekend, Liquorish and Kyle-Henney in particular will be eager to build their points' lead over the defending Pro-Am2 champion.

Attachments

• thx01_118.jpg
    thx01_118.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16,302
Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Thruxton

Michael Meadows tops qualifying at Thruxton
Josh Webster runs Meadows close for P2
Mark Cole and Steven Liquorish head Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows claimed a double pole position in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during qualifying at Thruxton today (Saturday 3 May) with an impressive performance on the high-speed Hampshire track.

However, Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) was pushed hard by Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Josh Webster (Redline Racing), while series returnee Mark Cole (Welch Motorsport) headed Pro-Am1 and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) topped Pro-Am2.

The session was red-flagged early on after Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) spun into the barriers at Goodwood. Justin was unharmed, but the car was heavily damaged and will not be ready for Sunday's races.

Once into his stride, Meadows set the pace but was conscious of the need to save his tyres for race day by running as few laps as possible. It was a case of mission accomplished as he took pole for both races in the space of just eight laps. But Meadows certainly did not dominate the session, as Webster was little more than a tenth of a second slower for both grids after another impressive run. Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) completed the top three.

Cole, in the car tended by GT Marques, was an excellent fourth for both races to top the Pro-Am1 category. Once again, the Pro-Am2 category was very hotly contested with Liquorish, Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) all heading the times at some point, before qualifying in that order covered by four-tenths of a second.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'I was trying to preserve the tyres as much as possible for the races, and I was using the momentum through the corners. I needed to push on two laps on each set of tyres and that's what I did. It all felt good."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) second overall:
'I'm really happy with that. I'm still working on getting in the car and doing the lap times straightaway. To be a tenth of Michael on both grids is really good."

Mark Cole (Welch Motorsport) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'That was okay. I lost the time on braking into the chicane: I was braking too early and that's just down to a lack of time in the car. But the preparation from GT Marques was spot on."

Graeme Mundy (In2 Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'That's a lot better: we're going in the right direction with the set-up. We changed the car a lot after Donington and it's much better. I feel that there's a bit more time in both me and the car."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:
'It's so quick round the back here and watching Justin Sherwood go off at Goodwood didn't do anything for my confidence. I had a problem with the timer display and ended up doing more laps and took a lot out of the tyres."

Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) second in Pro-Am2:
'I'm quite pleased with that, but it could have been better. I was half a second on what would have been my best lap, but just carried too much speed into the chicane."

Round 5 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m13.505s; 2 Josh Webster 1m13.654s; 3 Victor Jimenez 1m14.095s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Mark Cole 1m14.180s; 2 Graeme Mundy 1m16.017s; 3 Justin Sherwood 1m17.970s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish 1m15.967s; 2 Kelvin Fletcher 1m16.367s; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney 1m16.385s.

Round 6 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 1m13.937s; 2 Josh Webster 1m14.056s; 3 Victor Jimenez 1m14.426s. Pro-Am1 category: 1 Mark Cole 1m14.430s; 2 Graeme Mundy 1m16.507s; 3 Justin Sherwood 1m22.707s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish 1m16.591s; 2 Kelvin Fletcher 1m16.678s; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney 1m17.432s.

Attachments

• thx02_170.jpg
    thx02_170.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 16,298
  • thx03_183.jpg
    thx03_183.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 16,298
Meadows wins Carrera Cup GB round five

Michael Meadows wins from Josh Webster at Thruxton
Graeme Mundy takes Pro-Am1 victory
Peter Kyle-Henney wins Pro-Am2 thriller

Michael Meadows scored a resounding victory in round five of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Thruxton this morning (Sunday 4 May) as Josh Webster led the chase. While Graeme Mundy won Pro-Am1, a fantastic battle for Pro-Am2 victory finally fell to Peter Kyle-Henney.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) jumped ahead at the start, but had to defend initially from Carrera Cup Scholar Webster (Redline Racing) as they edged clear of the pack. Until mid-distance, there was little to split the two leaders but Meadows was later able to ease clear as tyre wear came into play.

Guest racer Oscar King (Parr Motorsport) fought back from a poor start to battle through to third ahead of Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and Paul Rees (In2 Racing) after some fine racing. Jimenez came back at King over the closing laps and was just a tenth of a second down at the flag.

While Graeme Mundy (In2 Racing) headed Pro-Am1, there was a wonderful contest in Pro-Am2 as Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) led Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing). It was nip and tuck all race as Fletcher battled into second but then had a moment into the Complex and spun. Kyle-Henney took up the fight with Liquorish and dived ahead into Allard when Liquorish was marginally slow out of the chicane.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'I got a decent start and had to defend into the Complex from Josh. We had similar pace early on but I had better pace over the second half of the race. The tyres lasted really well and I could have pushed a bit more if I'd needed to."

'That was a good learning experience. I learnt a lot and I worked the tyres too hard early on. I didn't have the pace to go after Michael in the second half of the race."

Oscar King (Parr Motorsport) third overall:
'I massively enjoyed that! It was a really good race, but I couldn't have held on much longer with the rear left tyre and I was glad to get to the finish. I lost a lot off the start and had to fight back from sixth place."

Graeme Mundy (in2 Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'At the start it was brilliant but later on the car was a handful and I lost a big chunk of time. I was trying to change the brake bias because I was struggling to get it stopped."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) first in Pro-Am2:
'That was very, very hard work. How Kelvin didn't take us all off the Complex, I really don't know, but it all ended okay. Every lap I was still learning the circuit and it took five or six laps to hook it all up. It was a very exciting race."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) second in Pro-Am2:
'That was the wrong result but a good race! Fair play to Peter for his win: Karl came at me as well. I was confident in the quicker stuff, but struggled a bit in the slower corners."

Results round 5:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Josh Webster; 3 Oscar king.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Graeme Mundy.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Peter Kyle-Henney; 2 Steven Liquorish; 3 Kelvin Fletcher.

Attachments

• thx05_119.jpg
    thx05_119.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 16,295
  • thx04_194.jpg
    thx04_194.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16,295
Meadows does Carrera Cup GB double at Thruxton

Michael Meadows takes second win at Thruxton
Graeme Mundy wins Pro-Am1 again
Steven Liquorish wins Pro-Am2 after another great contest

Michael Meadows scored a perfect double by winning round six of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Thruxton this afternoon (Sunday 4 May). Once again Meadows was able to edge clear of Josh Webster to make it three wins from six races this season. Graeme Mundy and Steven Liquorish won Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 respectively, with Liquorish emerging ahead from another great contest.

Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) converted pole into the lead from the rolling start and was able to edge clear of Webster (Redline Racing) as Victor Jimenez ran a strong third, well in touch with his Redline team mate.

While Meadows consolidated his lead, Oscar King (Parr Motorsport) battled hard with Paul Rees (In2 Racing) for fourth behind Jimenez. Meanwhile, Mundy claimed Pro-Am1 for In2 Racing.

One of the race's best battles came in Pro-Am2 as Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) had to push hard all race to see off first Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) and then Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport). Fletcher fought ahead of Liquorish early on, but then ran wide at Church and was instantly bundled back to third. Kyle-Henney immediately took up the fight on Liquorish and the result was in doubt all the way to the flag.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) first overall:
'That was very good. It was a case of third time lucky for me at the rolling start and I judged it really well this time. The car was good and I pushed a bit in the early laps, but then backed it off for the last few laps."

'It was the same result, but a very different race for me. I took a completely different style for race two and we were quick at the end of the race. That's the best I could hope for this weekend."

Graeme Mundy (In2 Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'It was a similar sort of race: if the car was as good for the rest of the race as the first five laps, it would be good. It was strong from quite early on and was really good in the high-speed stuff."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'That's why you come racing; to enjoy battles like that. We got the right result this time! Peter drove very well and didn't make any mistakes."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) second in Pro-Am2:
'That was good exciting stuff. It just takes one small mistake and that's what I was looking for, but it didn't come. Steven and I had pretty much the same pace."

Results round 6:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows; 2 Josh Webster; 3 Victor Jimenez.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Graeme Mundy.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney; 3 Kelvin Fletcher.

Attachments

• thx06_400.jpg
    thx06_400.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 16,292
  • thx07_142.jpg
    thx07_142.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 16,292
Meadows takes Carrera Cup GB Thruxton double

Michael Meadows takes two victories at Thruxton
Josh Webster leads the challenge to Meadows
Tremendous battles in the Pro-Am2 pack

Michael Meadows tightened his early grip on the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB with a double victory in rounds five and six of the championship at Thruxton (3/4 May) as the latest Type 991 911 GT3 Cups made a tremendous spectacle on the fastest track on the schedule.

Meadows (Reading: Samsung UHD TV Racing) dominated the weekend to take a perfect score of 44 points with two pole positions, two wins and two fastest laps. Meadows called on all his previous Thruxton experience to win at a track where tyre management is always a major factor.

In front of a very big Bank Holiday crowd and live TV cameras, Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Josh Webster (Stowmarket: Redline Racing) led the chase of Meadows to take second in the championship standings, 16 points behind. Guest racer Oscar King (Barnstaple: Parr Motorsport) and Victor Jimenez (Spain: Redline Racing) shared third places.

Graeme Mundy (Salisbury: In2 Racing) won Pro-Am1 in both races while some of the best racing came from the drivers in the Pro-Am2 category. Steven Liquorish (Didcot: Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Romsey: Parr Motorsport) each took a win while Kelvin Fletcher (Oldham: Redline Racing) was right in the thick of two excellent battles. Liquorish earned the 'driver of the weekend' award for his superb pace, while team Parker Racing was named as 'team of the weekend'.

Paul Rees (Oxford: In2 Racing) won a set of tyres as part of Michelin's long-standing support of the championship. Before the start of testing at each race weekend, a name is drawn from a hat to receive the tyres, with a value of more than £1200.

Provisional Carrera Cup GB championship points after round 6:
Overall: 1 Michael Meadows 123; 2 Josh Webster 107; 3 Victor Jimenez 92.
Pro-Am1: 1 Karl Leonard 51; 2= Justin Sherwood and Graeme Mundy 37.
Pro-Am2: 1 Steven Liquorish 63; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney 55; 3 Kelvin Fletcher 33.
Teams: 1 Redline Racing 199; 2 In2 Racing 145; 3 Samsung UHD TV Racing 123.

Next round: 14 June, Le Mans (France).

Attachments

• thx11_503.jpg
    thx11_503.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 16,284
  • thx10_976.jpg
    thx10_976.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16,284
  • thx09_213.jpg
    thx09_213.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 16,284
  • thx08_179.jpg