Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back into a P-Car

Ian Donkin

Monza
Having previously owned a 3.2 Carrera, 964 Turbo 2, '72 model year 1971 2.4T, 993 Carrera & 996 Turbo (as well as my Wife's swb 1968 911L), we've just taken the plunge on an '06 997.1 Carrera 3.6.

I had always previously avoided the M96/M97 engined cars due to all the horror stories but a very inclusive 2-year warranty with high single claim limit gave me the confidence to buy and thus far it's great to be back.

We were sorely tempted by some well optioned cars but in the end decided that 18" wheels and non-PASM suspension would give us the closest experience to our previous cars and I'm already looking forward to a Goodwood trackday following a planned visit to Centre Gravity at the end of next week.

Just thought I'd say hi!

I'd be keen to hear details on the warranty too. Also, any immediate thoughts on the comparison between the 996t you had and the 997?

Thanks for the welcome guys - I was planning to purchase 2 years cover directly from WarrantyWise with a £5,000 per claim limit however the supplying dealer also uses the same company and I was able to negotiate a higher level of cover via them into my purchase price.

Of course I hope to never need it...

As for 996 Turbo vs. 997 - a very good friend referred to my 996 from the passenger seat as a 'vomit comet' because it was very fast, but with little sensation of speed, whereas our 'base' 997 feels like a much more pure 911 driving experience. Both my 996 Turbo and 993 always felt like there was a big weight at the back of the car (as did the 964 Turbo 2), but strangely I'm not sensing this in the 997.

The turbos also really muted the soundtrack of the 996 whereas the 997 at full chat reminds me of our previous 993, but with a better ride, better steering lock and MUCH improved driving position for my 6'3" frame.

It feels really good to be back in a 911 :)

:welcome:

it's good to hear some balanced appraisal of the 911.

You'll be in very good hands at CG.

But, :useless:

Still no car pictures (I will get there one day), but whilst at 9e today they read the DME for me as well as performing a compression test.

Whilst they were generally complementary about my cars wellbeing (and my ability to self-fit new front discs and pads), they were really pleased with matching compression figures of 250psi across all 6 cylinders and the DME readings gave no cause for concern either:

A couple of exhaust nuts have corroded away to nothing (quite literally), but apart from that I'm looking forward to a few months of fuel-only expenditure.

The best bit is that almost one month in with over 1,500 miles driven there has been NO oil consumed, nor coolant and the aircon is icy cold.

Let's hope it stays that way... Just need to remind the Wife to keep it away from the red line :)

Ian Donkin said:
Both my 996 Turbo and 993 always felt like there was a big weight at the back of the car (as did the 964 Turbo 2), but strangely I'm not sensing this in the 997.
Agreed. Can't comment on a 993 but on my 996 I always felt the weight at the back too especially during the couple of times I managed to swing it unintentionally at roundabounts.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
Ian Donkin said:
Both my 996 Turbo and 993 always felt like there was a big weight at the back of the car (as did the 964 Turbo 2), but strangely I'm not sensing this in the 997.
Agreed. Can't comment on a 993 but on my 996 I always felt the weight at the back too especially during the couple of times I managed to swing it unintentionally at roundabounts.

~ Maxie

I discussed this with the guys at 9e today and their view was that my 997 being on the standard and relatively light 18" alloys combined with only having the 'small' brakes as fitted to the 3.6 reduces the unsprung weight significantly.

I do know that compared to the car I contemplated with 19" wheels, the standard setup feels much more nimble and I'm absolutely loving the whole experience more than I ever imagined I would.

Welcome Ian and some very interesting posts here already.
I own an early 997 in 3.6 guise with the standard carrera 3 18 inch wheels.
I also felt that it was somehow a simpler (purer) car with standard suspension and slightly thinner wheels (and more sidewall).
I also understand that the 3.6 is less prone to bore scoring (be interested if someone could confirm or deny this - if anyone really knows).
The lower undprung weight at the back had never really occurred to me so that is really interesting.
I was thinking of moving onto some 19s but have reservations about the ride - you may have just given me another good reason to stick with the 18s.....
Good luck with the new car.

I have only had my 3.8 C2S Gen1 a couple of moths or so and i am gradually learning it, i was always very aware of the weight out back thing with a 911.
Gave it some on a cambered roundabout just up the road from me a couple of nights ago, it simply hung on then catapulted me out of the roundabout..........Lovely !

rob_p said:
Welcome Ian and some very interesting posts here already.
I own an early 997 in 3.6 guise with the standard carrera 3 18 inch wheels.
I also felt that it was somehow a simpler (purer) car with standard suspension and slightly thinner wheels (and more sidewall).
I also understand that the 3.6 is less prone to bore scoring (be interested if someone could confirm or deny this - if anyone really knows).
The lower undprung weight at the back had never really occurred to me so that is really interesting.
I was thinking of moving onto some 19s but have reservations about the ride - you may have just given me another good reason to stick with the 18s.....
Good luck with the new car.

Thanks Rob - I love the look of the 19" wheels in their many guises and the slightly lowered stance of many cars, but the 997 follows many of the 996 suspension design principles and components that were never intended for 19" wheels.

In the back of my mind is still my 993 that had been fitted with 18" sport designs by a previous owner; they looked fabulous, but were bigger than that car was ever intended to wear and on top of this I had the standard suspension replaced with a lowered Bilstein setup that absolutely ruined the ride on the road although it was epic on trackdays.

I guess it's horses for courses, but the 18's on a 997 really work for me.

Frenchmeister said:
I have only had my 3.8 C2S Gen1 a couple of moths or so and i am gradually learning it, i was always very aware of the weight out back thing with a 911.
Gave it some on a cambered roundabout just up the road from me a couple of nights ago, it simply hung on then catapulted me out of the roundabout..........Lovely !

They are indeed mightily capable and can seemingly be teased into a drift or even happily steered on the throttle; one handy 'trick' they haven't dialled out from the early cars is the ability to be able to temporarily release the steering wheel if it gets too out of shape and the car will self correct to a straight ahead position. Not something to try for the first time on a busy road, but I have already discovered in a controlled environment that it's still there :)

Four wheel drift on an adverse camber in an AWD. :grin:

Pushing it hard into a corner and dabbing the brake short but hard forcing the weight of the momentum to the front and then swinging the rear, so it steps out slightly, and holding it briefly. :grin: :grin:

Giggle.

Sadly, the superior balance and stability of the 997 over the previous generations is often lost in the mists of Internet horror stories. :pc:

As for wheels, Ian is correct as the 997 was still only designed for 18", hence why there is only one wheel option for the Sport Suspension. Having said that I run 19" on mine and experience very little difference in ride and handing. Only time will tell if it introduces accelerated wear to the other parts of the suspension. almost all of which from springs & struts to control arms & steering rack have been replaced on mine this year. However, I would highly recommend a forged set as opposed to a cast set of wheels as they are somewhat lighter and add to the magic of reduced unsprung mass. :D

Congrats Ian. The 997's are indeed fantastic cars!

+1 congrats

... good choice re the Carrera spec, I'd go for something similar if I was getting into a gen 1 997 Carrera (non-pasm, 18" wheels). Something basic and pure to have fun with. I'm sure I've said elsewhere on the forum that the M97 3.6 is a great engine, more revvy and fun than the 3.8 IMO.

Enjoy :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back