Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vibration through car & oil leaking. Update, Engine Fail

infrasilver

I had a vibration through the car at about 6500 revs that has gradually got worse, I drove from Guildford (been on the Top Gear track all weekend) to the East Midlands on Sunday afternoon and the vibration got gradually worse and meant I had to slow from 85MPH over the miles home until I was doing 70 to keep the vibration at bay. All the while I was diagnosing in my head what it could be, I did think maybe the Dual Mass Flywheel had gone and was planning my repair schedule but it wasn't until I got the car home that I noticed I was losing gearbox oil from the bellhousing (I thought it was engine oil initially until I smelt it).

It goes through the gears as it should but the bite point is not feeling great and I can feel a bit of vibration through the clutch pedal, this is my reason for thinking DMF but the gearbox oil leaking has thrown me a little. Could it be a bearing going in the gearbox making the oil seal leak or could the vibration from a shot DMF cause anything in the gearbox to fail and subsequently make the oil leak.
Anyone got any other ideas before I tear it apart?

No idea about the mileage, but my money would be on a gearbox seal (and I'm no mechanic by the way).

I too would think it's the DM flywheel that's gone. The half that's bolted to the crank would stay in line hence the starter would engage fine and the other side is moving around which in turn is shaking your input shaft about causing the leak on the oil seal.

It's the same dismantle if it's either.

Best of luck with the repair.

Darren.

Thanks for the replies, I guess the DMF could cause the gearbox seal to leak if out of sync enough and may of only got really bad as I got close home, hence the leak on the drive.
I'm not going to get time to remove the box for a week or two so will update later on. I have a spare gearbox so in a way I was hoping it was that just to save a few quid.

Not had much time to look at the car but the last couple of weekends I've had a good poke around and I was quite shocked to find the gearbox totally cracked up one side of the bellhousing and the DMF moving about on the crankshaft mounting enough to wear the internal of the of the bellhousing. I've removed the old DMF, fitting a new one, thinking this has caused the gearbox to shatter only to find that the crankshaft is moving in the engine too. So the result is that the engine is coming out again.

I've spoken to a couple of people and think the crankshaft main bearing is the culprit but unsure of the circumstances, its either the DMF (which isn't bad really) or the gearbox had a weak point and culminated in the main bearing failing due to it shifting about.

Couple of pics so far.

Different picture to last time.

Chain guides haven't worn hardly since they were replaced.

And the bores on 5 and 6 are still okay just showing the same minor marks as they were before.

Hey Chris,
So sorry to read this thread and see you're troubles. I can only offer sympathy, but know how much you love taking things apart, so I shall enjoy all the pics that are sure to be coming our way. Good luck with it :thumb:

Sorry to hear that Chris, give me a shout if I can help out at all.

MC

Wow, not seen that before! Most unfortunate. But at least you know what you're doing with it - imagine the garage bill otherwise!

Are you planning any mods whilst the engine is out?

When you say the crank is moving,does it have endfloat?

If so,does it have enough endfloat for the DMF to grind away the gearbox castings? Thats a LOT of endfloat if so...

Chief you know I love picking up those spanners, just don't like spending all that money again and again. May become picture heavy as I've got some unusual circumstances as usual, DMF had been rubbing on the IMSB cover plate and Crank Sensor so its been going off at all angles.

MC I may be getting in touch, looking for a quick turnaround this time as there seem to be no collateral damage like last time and everything looks brand new in there, as it should I suppose.

IMSB cover where the sensor teeth of the DMF have been touching. See the clean marks above the centre bolt.

And also where it had been catching the Crank Sensor.

Back of the flywheel where it mounts to the crankshaft with corroded part that should be part of the DMF.

You can see the top of the Crankshaft end at a slight angle, the top facing out about 3mm more than the bottom. Even with the vibration and movement that seem to of taken place the updated RMS was still leak free.

It should only be about an hours work now to get to the bare crankshaft and all will be revealed, just need to get back working on it ASAP and start ordering parts.

alpinaman said:
When you say the crank is moving,does it have endfloat?

If so,does it have enough endfloat for the DMF to grind away the gearbox castings? Thats a LOT of endfloat if so...

Not just the gearbox but the back of the engine and it's not so much end float in the sense of the words but just lots of float. :dont know:

MAN ALIVE :eek: Chris what the ekie peck is going on here :dont know:
If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all!!!!
I guess all will be revealed as soon as the case halves are slit.
Keep us posted....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back