Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Aventura Adventure

ch3tman

#01 [The beginning of an Aventura Adventure]
#02 [10 weeks and 1.5k miles into ownership...]
#03 [2 years and ~10.5k miles...]
#04 [3.5 years and ~15k miles...]
#05 [4 years and a winter summary...]
#06 [France/Germany/Austria roadtrip..]

The dream started almost 20 years ago at the Earls Court Motor Show; the Porsche marketing team could see an excited youngster was truly fixated with their 'all new 911' and so let me in through the barrier to see this amazing machine. They soon set me on my way, handing me a hardback copy of the 911 Carrera sales brochure...

To this day, that parting gift remained carefully placed in my study & work space to serve as a constant reminder, keeping the dream alive.

Fast forward 14 or so aspirational years, this month marks the realisation of that dream - I've managed to finally secure a 993! With the market moving the way it currently is, it was seemingly now or never.

The car is a late 1995 Carrera 4, Aventura exterior and Black interior. It currently sits on ~75k miles having covered ~10k miles since 2008. There are a few nice touches including a recent retrim of all seats/gear knob/gaitor/steering wheel/door cards, 17" Cup II wheels, working AC, PA1000 alarm and Becker Grand Prix. Cosmetically the exterior does show several stone chips, a perishing rubber seal here and there, and potential signs of a door check strap on it's way out, though I couldn't expect concours standard. Mechanically, the PPI flagged a few items too but advised nothing should deter me away...

The car spent many of its earlier years with Bob at RGA Porsche Centre, has been sold by Paragon twice now, and in recent years been tended to by Steve at Jaz Porsche - so I can only hope this bodes well for the car's health.

Many thanks to those who have provided advice over the past 12 months; it has been much appreciated - you know who you are! Be warned, there will no doubt be more silly questions incoming :lol:. Here are two images for your viewing:

vsWtD7G.jpg

Whilst they advise to never meet your heroes, I'm really, really glad I've done just that 8).

Welcome to the club! It looks nice. If you join Porsche Club GB you get a discount on parts from the Porsche dealers so it pays for itself soon.

Welcome. I love stories like this, mine was similar. It makes these cars all the more special when you have waited a long time to realise your dream.

Welcome to the 993 club, looks lovely, congratulations :thumb:

Lovely car, great colour and in super nick. Well done.

Well done, looks a good 'un :thumbs:
But get those wheel centres aligned quick, before anyone notices... :lol:

Welcome, I've recently had a similar story too, and I think I was at that show as well, daydreaming "one day, I'll have one of these..."

Congratulations: the leather in your car looks particularly good in the pic!

Congratulations on your purchase.

Nothing quite like driving away in your first 993! :thumbs:

That interior looks to be in great condition. Enjoy.

I remember that Motor Show too well, didn't they have the Targa there on the wall?

Interior looks brand new, has it been retrimmed? Looks fab.

Congrats.

Ooooooooh very nice and a great story :thumb:

It's 12 months since I bought mine and the only regret I have is that I did not buy one sooner, enjoy :D

Congratulations Ch3tman! :thumb:

So it was the manual C4 that won over the tip C2 then. Good choice, but then I am pretty biased :puh:

Aventura is a wonderful colour to boot.

Congratulations :thumb:

Your car looks amazing and with the history clearly a great example !

Sure the car will bring you a lot of pleasurable motoring :thumbs:

Welcome to 993 ownership. Looks a fine machine.
I read your story, you convey the emotion of yearning that was ultimately fulfilled.
I recall my ascent (my wife would calls it descent) to ultimate 993 ownership in 2008. I was always a moderate petrol head but family and house commitments would not allow me to entertain ownership of such a machine. The bug started when I refurbished my 1985 BMW 316 in 2001, Did a lot of dismantling, surveying and reassembling but not the heavy stuff. I started wishing for a classic car project I could tinker with and initially my eyes swung towards a Jaguar Mk II from 1960 - so that we can age at the same time together! A classic car magazine opened my eyes to persisting rust issues with the Jag so I was having second thoughts when my wife bought me a Porsche magazine (for some time she regretted that act). One look at the vast ages of the 911 model on offer and I was hooked. I first toyed with going for a decent 1972 model but while reading about rust issues pre-1976 and the lively handling characteristics, I started going down the age ladder. The curvaceous design of Tony Hatter won me over when it came looking for a 911 between the 964 and the 993. The rear suspension advances in the 993 also had a say. I did not want to tail end first into a gutter since I really do not pretend to be a Sterling Moss!
In May 2008 I went to Sicily (next door here) to look over a 1996 C4 (my original choice to further feel safer) but it was a sorry run-down case which was down played by the seller. Fortunately the meeting place was a Porsche service center were I intended to get a pre-purchase inspection which I didn't need because I just could not live with its condition. We went our separate ways but just before leaving the OPC suggested If I would like to look over a 993 they had that was for sale. It was somewhat above budget but seeing the markedly superior condition and low mileage of the example shown, I was blown over, phoned my wife back home and told her the story and the high priced one on offer expecting her to send me to hell. Surprisingly she came up with a reasonable excuse (even she can master man-maths) why I should go for it. The expense of jetting around Europe to find a good one would have cost me easily the difference between amount budgeted and this example on offer. Two months later (it took that long to get the local paper work bureaucracy and bank transfers to be done - the OPC got pissed off that it was taking so long they offered to return the deposit and just forget the issue!)

When the big day had arrived to be handed over the keys (just 24 hours after the bank draft was cleared after 4 weeks in the bank's hands) one look at the machine which was uncovered in front of me and I practically fainted. I had to crouch down to prevent me from blacking out.

I do not have the opportunity to clock up too may kms on this Island but just having that mean machine in my possesion is a satisfaction of its own. After 5 years of ownership I had no issues. I still have to change the engine mounts though!

Good luck with you new baby! :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back