Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acquired a little something from 1965... wheel help please!

NinjaPower

Hi all,

Yes, I know I don't ususally stray out of the 993 forum, but I have just bought a 1965 912 :D

The car is 100% original but fully 'nut and bolt' restored, however I am going to make a few changes to make the car just a little nicer (and keep all the original bits).

One of the things I am going to change are the wheels. It has the standard 14" Fuchs on it, and to be honest, there is far too much sidewall going on, and not enough width.

I want to stick with Fuch wheels, but want something like a staggered width set and go up to 15's or 16's.

I know nothing about what sizes fit and what doesn't though?

So...

Are the wheel fitments the same on the 60's 912 as they are on the 60's 911?

I have seen a set of 15" fuch that are 7" front and 8" rears. are these likely to be ok on the car?

Thanks

Couple of bad phone pics here for you. Better ones to follow :thumb:

Photo24-05-2014042621pm1_zpsa538f0d2.jpg

Photo24-05-2014042715pm_zps9aa83430.jpg

Photo24-05-2014042700pm_zps9fc1eeff.jpg

Photo24-05-2014043500pm_zps8811fc04.jpg

Can't help with the wheels but that looks fab. You must be a happy boy! Congrats :thumbs:

Gorgeous car .. lovely :thumb:

:bow:

Looks special congratulations :thumbs:

Love the car but cant help on wheel sizes.

Personally i would leave them as is unless i was going to really hot rod it but as it is completely standard everywhere else it would be a bit like adding Pepsi to a glass of Hennessy XO Cognac.

Admittedly you can always put the proper wheels back on after but.... :dont know:

skinnedknuckles said:
Love the car but cant help on wheel sizes.

Personally i would leave them as is unless i was going to really hot rod it but as it is completely standard everywhere else it would be a bit like adding Pepsi to a glass of Hennessy XO Cognac.

Admittedly you can always put the proper wheels back on after but.... :dont know:

I know what you mean, however I will be keeping the originals to swap back onto the car if/when required.

I'll see what they look like and if I'm not happy I'll take them off :)

Beautiful car, congratulations

You are all far too kind!

Thanks for the comments.

I have to say, I was more excited about getting this car than I was about pretty much any other car I've had.

Wonderful choice :thumb:

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1965-porsche-912

if anyone is wondering the 912 is the same 911 from 1965 but with the engine from the 356

The original 2.0 litre format made it expensive, but Porsche used the outgoing 1600cc unit from the 356 to address the issue and offered the 912 to an eager market.

15" Fuchs will fit fine with the correspoding change in the Tyre profile

Wow! :worship:

'100% original but nut and bolt restored'???? Is that not a contradiction in terms? I dont think that car would ever have had fuchs alloys in 1965 but please correct me if Im wrong.

Big Jock said:
'100% original but nut and bolt restored'???? Is that not a contradiction in terms?

I meant original in spec, color, trim, options etc.

It's all as it was when it left the factory, right down to the wooden gear knob and Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM radio.

I understand that the 14" Fuch 'windmill' alloys were an option on 912's, but I'm not sure from what year.

Just checked and the 14" Fuchs were made available from 1969 through to 1971 as a "comfort" package which could then be ordered on an 911 and 912

Comfort from the high profile tyre.

IIRC the OEM wheel was that Steel 15" with polished hub caps :thumb:

911UK said:
Just checked and the 14" Fuchs were made available from 1969 through to 1971 as a "comfort" package which could then be ordered on an 911 and 912

Comfort from the high profile tyre.

IIRC the OEM wheel was that Steel 15" with polished hub caps :thumb:

The Oracle speaks :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back