Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Fuel Pump Replacement DIY

ragpicker

Portimao
For months my fuel pump had been whining from the turn of the key until I turned it off. The whining was getting progressively louder and I thought I could sense some 'hesitation' at WOT and full boost.

After considering the options I decided to take JonnyDangerous's suggestion of a Walbro replacement pump.

My options were: New pump from OPC - £450ish, 2nd hand from breaker £200, or walbro for £120. You are not able to source the pump on its own even from the pump manufacturer VDO.

The 996 fuel pumps are 'in tank' and are enclosed in a swirl pot which is permanently filled with fuel so that even during hard cornering the pump is not starved of juice.

There is a variation in the pumps across the 9*6 range even though at first glance they look similar. There is also a difference in the swirl pots as the 2 wheel drive cars have a large fuel tank and need one venturi tube to suck the fuel in. The 4WD cars have effectively two small tanks straddling the prop shaft and therefore need 2 venturi tubes.

The 996 turbo fuel pump has a maximum output of 5 bar. The 996 carrera fuel pump is 3.5 bar.

The Walbro E85 pump I chose has a maximum output of 455 L/h at 8.0bar.

As I intend to tune my car to approx 650bhp an upgraded fuel pump is recommended and this seemed like the ideal time.

I took a lot of instruction and inspiration from this thread: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/324376-diy-tank-fuel-pump-upgrade-pic-heavy.html

Towards the end of the thread the author starts machining out the ports from the swirl pot to further increase fuel flow but fails to subsequently increase the diameter of the rest of the tubing. Therefore this seemed completely pointless to me.

old pump:
14204218221_4c820c8ebb_k.jpg

New vs Old:
14205036052_0c29003fdd_k.jpg

New pump secured into top of swirl pot by large jubilee clip. Small piece of tubing used to connect to the Y connector and some staggered rewiring done (just awaiting the finishing of the heat shrinking):
14020845708_8a374ad6a0_k.jpg

I'm not sure if its placebo but the car feels more powerful, is a LOT quieter and the hesitation at WOT has gone!

I would say this job is a 2/5 in terms of difficulty and is a viable option when looking for a fuel pump replacement.

:judge:

Nice work and a bottle of Becks to quench the thirst too.
I fitted a 255 litres per hour pump to a highly tuned Scoob that I had once, so I imagine 455 l/hour will be more than enough

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I'm hoping that the new pump is a good base for future modifications, in particular the 5 bar fpr which I will do initially (after new intercoolers) and then uprated turbos.

Is its a tip I understand that the maximum safe power before you need to start fiddling with the 'box is 650bhp so this is what I'm aiming for initially.

I'm thinking max out the stock injectors with a 5 bar fpr, gt2rs intercoolers, some bigger blowers (?which?) and a remap should get me there......

Thoughts?

Nice one Ragpicker,
I'll park this thread up somewhere for future use. :thumb:
I think 5bar will take you to 750 - 800, and if so very useful if you change your mind about 650 one day.

100 gallons an hour (455 litres) at 60mph would be 0.6 MPG...should be enough! :D

Bloomin 'eck!

Talk about thread resurrection. Interesting how things worked out... Rather predictably I had the turbo and 5bar FPR set up for about 4 months I think before doing the job properly with some bigger injectors...

To bring it right up to date I picked her back up a couple of days ago after a full engine and tip rebuild only for the alternator to die on me today, so I've just removed the alternator and hopefully will be putting a new one in tomorrow.

:pc:

At least your alternator failure didn't start a fire like mine did :sad:
14 months for porsche to build a new engine loom.
Today my fuel pump failed and the cheapest option seems like Walbro one. Fingers crossed it works out ok.

ragpicker said:
Bloomin 'eck!

Talk about thread resurrection. Interesting how things worked out... Rather predictably I had the turbo and 5bar FPR set up for about 4 months I think before doing the job properly with some bigger injectors...

To bring it right up to date I picked her back up a couple of days ago after a full engine and tip rebuild only for the alternator to die on me today, so I've just removed the alternator and hopefully will be putting a new one in tomorrow.

:pc:
:sad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back