Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 SC Backdate Project

willchappell1

Hello there, new to this forum, but not new to 911's. This will be my third, but my first 911 project. God knows how long it will take, probably about ten year or so and £30k! But i thought i would show some fellow enthusiasts what i am up to.

Here it is to start, 1980 SC with Carrera tail

Here after the body shop had sorted out the rust in all the usual places. Sun roof delete and prime.

This is where i bought into the project. The last owner had run out of time and his partner was expecting a baby soon, so either the car or her had to go. I'm going for a backdated look, as close to a Singer 911 as possible really.

Here are some of the panels just being mocked up. Dansk front wings, MShaw carbon long hood, boot and rear bumper. Original SC doors. Its a bit daunting knowing where to start, but seeing as im lacking a donnor car at the moment i thought i would get the panels i have to fit right. First job was to cut out the reflector strip at the back so that a 70's bumper could be accepted. Quite easy just drilled out the spot welds.

The next much bigger job is to cut back some of the metal work to allow the bumper supports to attach to the rear chassis legs. Not for the faint hearted. Am waiting on a right angle drill to get the rest of the spot welds out. Will keep you posted. If anyone knows of a proper scrapper tatty as possible old 911 sc, 3.2, 964 etc at half sensible money please let me know.

Will

Subscribed
popcorn2.gif

Good luck chum. I wanted to do this but I couldn't get the SC I had my eye on for the right price
mecry.gif

Also subscribed , best of luck enjoy the project , singer type , nice :thumb:

Loving it, subscribed :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
ATB
Ian :thumbs:

progress..........very slow

Quick update, once the right angle drill turned up! I have finally managed to get one of the bumper supports off. It has taken on and off three days, plenty of swearing drilling out 49 spot welds, then repairing and making good again, once removed. Now just got to muster up the energy to tackle the other side. I think the key thing is, firstly don't rush, it takes as long as it takes, have all the right tools, and some sharp spot weld drill bits!

The metal section i replaced wasn't because it was rotten, after 34 years of the chassis being bonded and welded together, they didn't want to come apart without a fight. In the process making a bit of the mess of the metal in some places. As i plan to keep the car, i didn't want to lash up the holes, i thought it best to cut the affected area out and replace it with nice new metal. Once its seam sealed and undercoated you wouldn't be able to tell.

Here is the finished article before it was painted and sealed for another 34 years. I plug welded up all of the other spot weld holes then ground back.

Off to start the other side now. Will Check back in when i have the bumper in place!

I'm in for this one :food:

Great stuff :thumb:

Subscribed and good luck Will, the Singer Porsche is, IMHO, just about the most beautiful thing on the road - so very interested to see your progress.

I know that Singer use a 964 - is it because of availability or just easier to update?

I would have liked to have started with a 964 but had to start with what was available really. The shell came up with all the rot sorted. A good selection of new parts, too good an opportunity to turn down. Still need a donnor and a 993 engine!

Little update, the other side is off, haven't had much time recently due to racing commitments and plenty of issues with the racing toys. But in other news i have found a donor. 1978 German import 911 SC with some steel arch extensions. The guy never got around to painting, rubbing down or generally finishing any job he started on it. Its been sat in his garage for the last 10+ years. But got nearly everything i need to make my decent shell a go-er.

Finally managed to wrestle the sc bumper bracket off on the off side rear. Just got to plate it up, but here is a mock fit of the backdated bumper on.

all hidden away as i can't bare look at the primer abortion any longer.

here is the "hamburg hooker"

next job is to attack the back with the welder and get the rear bumper mounted properly. stay tuned.

Wonderful thread and great progress. Pls keep them coming and thanks for sharing.
:thumb:

I'm tuned :thumbs:

Speedy said:
Wonderful thread and great progress. Pls keep them coming and thanks for sharing.
:thumb:

+1 Loving this thread - look forward to the next instalment!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back