Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S oil leek

threespins

Spa-Francorchamps
My 2006 C4S 3.8 engine is making a mess on the drive. On investigation it is leaking from what appears to be a nut or blanking plug on the underside of the engine. It is on the near side just ahead of the exhaust ports, slightly to the right. (see photo) The nut appears to be very tight so I presume it needs a new washer or seal.
Can anyone confirm what it is and is this the right way to go.
Thanks, G.

Attachments

• leakedit1_edited_14_625_x_631_166.gif
    leakedit1_edited_14_625_x_631_166.gif
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,679
If it's left-hand side near the manifold then it may be hydraulic oil. Can't quite tell from the picture. Someone should be along shorty who knows the right end of a spanner from another. :dont know:

Here's another shot showing some more of location.

Attachments

• 911_oil_leak_010_400_x_300_761.jpg
    911_oil_leak_010_400_x_300_761.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,636
It's a cam chain tensioner.
There is an aluminium sealing washer & a rubber O ring on it.
It's a simple job to fix but the engine must be locked in position.
If you just undo it the timing chain will move and you'll end up in a world of s**t !
So if in doubt just take it to your local Indy or OPC to fix.
Less than an hour to sort & pennies for the parts.
Hth.

Thanks for that, much obliged. I have a two year warranty so I'm hoping I should be covered. It is nice to be to be for armed and know what you are talking about.
I also have a leak (spelt correct this time)in the cooling system the bottom joint where the hose comes from the rad to go to the back of the car. Also play in the front steering arms.
Non of these faults are major and the car can be driven as normal, but they all should have been picked up at it service, its MOT or its for sale preparation.
Prepared to Porsche standards, I don't think so.

copmots said:
It's a cam chain tensioner.
There is an aluminium sealing washer & a rubber O ring on it.
It's a simple job to fix but the engine must be locked in position.
If you just undo it the timing chain will move and you'll end up in a world of s**t !
So if in doubt just take it to your local Indy or OPC to fix.
Less than an hour to sort & pennies for the parts.
Hth.

Good shout. :D

Yep, good shout, that's why forums are brilliant !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back