Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Senna

Senoj

Zandvoort
In a few weeks time it will be twenty years since the tragic incidents at Imola in 1994. There's a really good piece Motorsport mag this month about Roland Ratzenberger and i have just watched the Senna movie again which superb still even though i have seen it a few times now. I was never a huge Senna fan in period but all of these guys were still working in a far less safe F1 world than we have today. If Lehto hadn't stalled on the grid and got collected by Pedro Lamy there would have been no laps behind the ridiculously slow vauxhall Vectra ( looks like..) and perhaps things would have turned out differently. John Boggiano said .."he didn't have a broken bone in his body, not a bruise on him. If that piece of assembly had gone six inches higher or six inches lower he would have walked back to the paddock"

There goes they way of such things, a good time for refection and a good excuse to watch that movie again...

But, start with that qualifying lap at Jerez in 1990 :thumb:

Senna movie in full here on youtube too.

Good post Danny. :thumb:

It's strange...

He died when I was 22, he was 34 and will always be older than me, even though I'm 42 now.

clarkycat said:
It's strange...

He died when I was 22, he was 34 and will always be older than me, even though I'm 42 now.

We have many sporting greats who will always be older than us, sadly the term older doesn't spring to mind when I think of Sean Edwards.

On a lighter note, how was the Big Apple, it's getting on ten years since I was there last. My son is launching a three month Stateside jaunt from there in a couple of weeks.

Hard to put into words now we have the sterile field that is f1 now
A world where Kimi is a rebel.
Senna would crash into you, if he was undermined, and he was by Prost and Balestre for that inside line.
A world where we had Piquet, Mansell

Ayrton was my everythery thing when he raced.

Everything.
Same kit, same car, against everyone.
He beat them all.

Look at the pre race 190e mercedes victory, and you'll get him.

The best.

pzero said:
On a lighter note, how was the Big Apple, it's getting on ten years since I was there last.

Good as always, Fifth time there in six years. Now we are just down dirty with bars and neigbourhoods, no sight seeing at all. Next time I want to do only Brooklyn, probably stay near Greenpoint with it's many immigrant areas, good bars and a chance to use my Polish and maybe play some chess in the park.
:)

On the back of this thread I'm going out to buy the Senna DVD, I liked 'Rush' but though with so many actual footage available it was IMO a wasted opportunity not to make it the same way as 'Senna' using actual footage rather than use actors and recreate grids and races when we could have actually watched the real thing.

I didn't really think Rush was that good. Everything looked fake, because it was..I would have much rather it was a documentary style, its like football movies, never really works...

Not watched this yet but looks a good way to spend an hour or so. Came out earlier this year.

Life On The Limit

I watched '1' last week and totally agree.

There is a world of difference between a actor being paid to look like someone else being sad/happy/angry decades ago, and real footage of the actual person at the time.

The TV documentary Hunt v Lauda, repeated many times, was very good.

I love the manual gear change in that clip and the hand full of opposite lock out of the last corner...just imagine a whole GP at that effort!

I havnt seen that clip before .. immense skill , strength and bravery , great .

Senna on Coulthard

"Julian Jakobi, who was involved in Senna's management, told me, in the context of my getting the Williams drive, that Ayrton had been impressed with my testing and suggested I might be a good option for the future"

...and Coulthard on Senna

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27190030

1994 Imola F1
The Darkest weekend.

http://youtu.be/j6F6FCSNwEg

Barrichello's career nearly ended when he suffered a violent crash during Friday practice. His car hit the wall in Variante Bassa, turning him upside down. This accident knocked him unconscious and threatened his life, with his tongue blocking his airway. F1 Doctor Professor Sid Watkins saved his life.

http://youtu.be/xeDlBgD_mHI

Roland's car failed to turn into the Villeneuve Corner and struck the outside wall at 195.7 mph.
As a result Roland died from a basilar skull fracture.

http://youtu.be/ekzXk0AQcx8

A crash at the start sent wreakage into the crowd injuring fans resulting in a safety car.
Senna rounded the high-speed Tamburello corner on lap 7, the car left the racing line at around 191 mph, ran in a straight line off the track, and hit the concrete retaining wall at around 145 mph.

Senna was extracted from his race car by Professor Sid Watkins and his medical team. Initial treatment took place by the side of the car, with Senna having a weak heartbeat and significant blood loss (approximately 4.5 litres). Because of Senna's poor neurological condition, Professor Watkins performed an on-site tracheotomy and requested the immediate airlifting of Senna to Bologna's Maggiore Hospital, where he was declared dead hours later. Watkins later said that as soon as he saw Senna's fully dilated pupils, he knew that his brainstem was inactive and that he would not survive.
Senna sustained fatal skull fractures, brain injuries and a ruptured temporal artery.

That clip is horrific to watch ...

The 20th Anniversary of Senna's death today .. RIP

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back