Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing the centre air vent: Rattle above above???

michelin

I've followed the instructions on Renntech but I still can't get it out.
Any ideas greatly received.

michelin said:
I still can't get it out.

Renntech instructions are incorrect from memory. Although that may be the side vents.

All of the vents have two clips that are pushed up above the line of the top of the vent. The centre has one on each side, the left aperture and the right aperture.

Get a torch and shine it at the top of the inside of the vent. You will see them. You will also see they each have a bend with a hole in the middle. You need to get a hook into each of them then pull down. You'll feel it spring. If you need extra working space you can remove the two topmost louvres by lifting them in the centre and pushing down firmly at one end.

They will not come out unless the clips are fully disengaged. I enjoyed the experience so much when I removed mine I even did it in the dark.

Obviously, disengage the clip by making the tool parallel to the top of the vent, not by pulling down as you'll just snap them. The centre vent in Galvano SIlver is around £200.

Good luck. :thumb:

post-1-1168745969_zps3e30b0bc.png

Thanks Plav for the reply.
I have tried using a small 2mm screwdriver to disengage the clips but to no avail. The vent seems attached in some other way.
Do you have to pull the clips towards you or pull them down?
I'm worries I may snap them or cause damage.
£200 is some money to pay for an air vent!
Cheers bud
:thumb:

You need to pull them down. The best way is with a hooked tool, but you will need two. One for each side of the vent. Once it's hook push the handle end up, which acts as a fulcrum, and will force the clip end down.

You need to do both simultaneously. While holding the hooks you need to start wiggling the vent left and right. Start at the top. There is also a plastic seated clip in the very top right in the middle of the vent. It's not always engaged but to make life easier, get a trim tool between the dash and vent too.

Removing the louvres helps. Once out there are many wires!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back