Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does your screen wash stink......

jonttt

Monaco
Whilst chatting to the guys at Unit 11 during my cars annual service they showed me one of the most common "faults" of a 993 (I guess any car which is a summer toy) and that is stinky windscreen wash :eek:

Basically as my car only gets used in the dry :hand: and in summer the windscreen wash is an unused accessory :) so the water simply goes stagnant as it can sit in there for years :oops:

The solution is easy ..... just run the jets until it is all used.

Whilst your at it you can check the operation of each jet, then fill with fresh water and nice smelling screen wash....

My top tip of the day :thumb:

I like seeing the headlamp washers in action :thumb:

Screen Wash also goes stinky when certain brands with differing ingredients are mixed.

We get this a lot with our cars at work. Even those in constant use.

Those left to fester stink more though as said.

You can pop a headlight out of the 993 and pull a pipe or even a motor from the bottle to let the fluid go, if you don't want that stinky crap all over your car that is.

Mine may as well be empty :grin:

I had never noticed an issue with smell but over many services and screen wash top ups by the opc at service time the fluid in the washer bottle ended up so old and concentrated with screenwash that there came a time when a service technician operated the washers and it covered the car with a white milky solution that dried to powder.
Since then I have flushed the system and tend to run the car with the washer bottle empty and leave a note at service time not to add screen wash.
I have so many bottles of the stuff supplied by the opc at services that I may have to open an ebay shop.

For the last couple of years when it's due an mot I have filled it with filtered rain water or mineral water.

I think I will fill the washer bottle with quick detailer from now on :grin:

That's a cool idea, you could have the jets pointing at various parts of the car, mmmmmm

My washers have suddenly packed up. I asked OPC to have a look whilst in for service, but when I picked the car up yesterday, there was a note on the invoice awaiting me, that the jets lack of operation needed further investigation.

Whilst driving her home last night, I noticed the 'low water' amber light was on.

Guess I'll check myself, the level when I have a chance. :puh:

Im shocked that nobodys suggested yet that perhaps on the last service someone pi55ed in your washer bottle :lol:

My washer water stinks of a sewage manhole (street manholes that is) has been there since I bought it in 2008! Incidentally, car washer fluids may develop a culture of various bacteria including that for Legionnaires Disease - Legonella pneumophila. So do not underestimate its impact on health.

[q
uote="Dream911"]De-ironised water for best results :thumb:[/quote]
Can I ask how you 'ironise' the water in the first place?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theitalian06
Back