Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Lid Struts - 993

Tombri

Nurburgring
My rear lid won't stay up if there anything more than a gentle breeze and I'm not sure one of my blue pills in the washer fluid will help...

I know I can source new struts but has anyone had any experience of changing theirs? Is it a simple 60 minute or a skin ripping weekend job? :dont know:

I have done mine, because when I changed to a rear wing I had to fit stronger ones (make sure you get the right ones wing or no wing type).

Park the car in the garage, tie the lid up with rope.

It's the rear of each strut that is the hard bit, the R/H one behind the airbox is supposed to be the easiest and the airbox is easy to take off to get to it, however this makes it all a bit left handed.

I found (after removing the fan unit) that the L/H one was easy as I was doing the work mainly with my right hand.

It's a spring clip and a pin. I heard many stories about the spring clip firing off into space so I slipped a cable tie under it's 'U' section before removal, with this looped under my finger it was going nowhere, then slide out the pin and it's out.
:)

Top tip (Clinchy told me this):

When you get the new struts, FIT ONE ONLY FIRST. They will be strong and you don't want your lid flying up. I fitted just one of the spoiler type and that is more than enough (with the original strut the other side) to hold the winged lid up - had I fitted both it would have been like a jack in the box and I'd have needed to take one off.

The only thing I would have done different is buy two spare pins and two clips in case I lost either of the rears.

:)

Tombri said:
I know I can source new struts but has anyone had any experience of changing theirs? Is it a simple 60 minute or a skin ripping weekend job? :dont know:

I have the same problem and funnily enough attempted to change them this morning. It looked from the DIY that it would be tricky, but achievable, so I ordered two new struts + 4 new pins and clips from Design911. Note: they have 'Normal' and 'Heavy Duty' versions, I ordered normal as I'd heard stories of the lid flying up too quickly with new struts BUT, I received 'Heavy Duty' then I noticed the part codes on the site are the same for both, though the prices are different :?: I emailed them my concerns and pointed out the part code issue, but they just sent back a one-liner saying it would be ok. So I thought ok, if they're too strong, just replacing one will do the trick, so I gave it a shot.

The driver's side is the easiest, just unclip the air cleaner cover and remove it with the element to get better access. I pulled out the back clip and pin easily (the closest one) and managed to get the other one out too, but that one's trickier as you're working more by feel and at arm's length. Anyhow, I got the old strut out, and it looked in pretty good nick, date stamped 3/94. Then I tried to fit the new one and TBH, found it too awkward and after dropping and losing one of the pins into the engine bay, I gave up. It's going in to the Indy for a few jobs in early May, so I'll just have to hand them the bag of bits to sort it out. :oops:

So, to summarise. If you're comfortable working at arm's length in awkward places, give it a go, BUT, SPREAD A SHEET OR SIMILAR below your working area to catch dropped pins and clips or you will regret it...

Good luck.

Martin

Easy enough I did mine without taking the engine apart :thumb:

Yes like Clarky says try one first. I put both on and they were so strong once I pulled the release it opened by itself with such gusto I was worried about the hinges :oops:

Kimbo said:
Skin ripping. Get a man in.

Nah,

Like I said, if you are right handed then the L/H side is the best to do as that hand does all the work and vice versa. And you can slip something round the clips so when they pop off you don't lose them, and the pins are magnetic and I assume you guys all also have one of those 'sunday market' magnets on a car ariel thingys.

Pop the clip off with just a screwdriver and it WILL fly into space, slide the pin out with just your sausage fingers and it WILL fall somewhere rattley I'm sure.

But I've got 26 years on the tools on my side, I kind of 'feel' these things, one glance and I could do it with my eyes shut. It's a tricky job, but it's easier than work.
:thumb:

martinfc said:
Then I tried to fit the new one and TBH, found it too awkward and after dropping and losing one of the pins into the engine bay, I gave up.

After undertaking a number of so-called "simple" jobs over the winter I can sympathise here. Lots of knuckle-scraping, swearing, slow progress and moments when you think the job is just plain, physically impossible. I find at times of crisis (& a couple of times I really do mean crisis :sad: ) there is a LOT to be said for tea-breaks and a bit of further surfing/research before resuming efforts.

I (eventually) sorted out my ISV, engine mounts, rusty driver's side headlamp rail and fitted HIDs and RSRs over the winter. I put those achievements down to 10% of my input, 40% the recuperating properties of PG Tips and 50% down to various contributors on this site and others (Dommorton, Jackal amongst others).

Maybe it's worth one more go before throwing the towel in? :dont know:

When I ordered mine from design911 they sent me the heavy duty ones as well. They also told me that they would be fine. And TBH they are.

They seem a bit urgent when you first put them on and I developed this dance move of being able to pull the release and reach over and stop the engine lid from flying up and hitting the stops at a rate of knots. However, after they have been on the car for a few weeks they settle down and are fine.

Bit fiddly, but not a hard job.

ATB
Steve.

Citori said:
When I ordered mine from design911 they sent me the heavy duty ones as well. They also told me that they would be fine. And TBH they are.

They seem a bit urgent when you first put them on and I developed this dance move of being able to pull the release and reach over and stop the engine lid from flying up and hitting the stops at a rate of knots. However, after they have been on the car for a few weeks they settle down and are fine.

Bit fiddly, but not a hard job.

ATB
Steve.

I've got heavy duty ones fitted by accident too. As you say they are a bit savage when new but after a few months they're only a bit stiffer than standard ones. The way I look at it is they should last for years over the standard ones. This is a real bonus given the PIA they are to fit :x

They're not hard to change.

If you want loads of working space you can remove the air filter cover and the blower motor pretty easily.

Would recommend the extra few quid for correctly rated ones from your OPC. This ensures no extra stress on the fixings and engine cover.

Top tip. Stick a rag under them as you remove the clips just in case you drop one in to the abyss.

dommorton said:
They're not hard to change.

If you want loads of working space you can remove the air filter cover and the blower motor pretty easily.

+1

Am thinking maybe I should do more work on my own car if changing these struts is rated on the job scale as being hard? I'm considering swapping my lid back to the electric spoiler for a bit, just for a different look and the only thing I considered is getting someone to give me a hand lining the lid up to bolt back on, had honestly not given the strut change part of it a second thought!
:?

PIA to change :dont know: Come on MTFU. Try the front ones if you want a challenge :frustrated:

Zingari said:
PIA to change :dont know: Come on MTFU. Try the front ones if you want a challenge :frustrated:

LOL true that.

Offside front can be a bit of a tricky fish.

Still not what should be considered 'hard'

I would give it a 2 spanner rating.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back