Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore scoring on 997 Gen 2...

greyingfast

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of Gen 2 cars having issues with bore scoring. I am under the impression that this is a Gen 1 only issue, is this the case or not.

Any expert knowledge that can be thrown at me?

Richard

greyingfast said:
Any expert knowledge that can be thrown at me?

Plenty of opinions and anecdotal information. Unless of course the mighty Baz sees this.

Coking appears to be of higher likelihood with the Gen 2 DFI engine.

It has been discussed before too. :thumbs: This is one which became a DFI discussion: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=91726

Nearly 6yrs in and there have only been 2 reports of gen2 bore scoring on any forum, UK or US.
One is a confirmed case on pistonheads (photos to prove), no cause given, engine replaced. A freak occurrence.
The other case was mine and the initial panicked diagnosis (Porsche GmbH were heavily involved, demanding multiple diagnostics of the UK OPC, engine out, stripped etc) was bore scoring.
However after inspection it turned out to be a misaligned piston ring allowing oil in, hence the massive oil use and smoke. I've got some 991 bits in there now. And I'm happy.
All in all I'd say it's a non-issue.
Neither is the coking. The links in that thread are from predictions of what might happen, and they all date back to 2009. There aren't any current posts bemoaning coking issues in the DFI engines. At least that I know of and I've seen in the inside of my 30k mile engine.

I'd be interested to hear from hartech though, but I would assume (as he posts here fairly regularly) that it'd be newsworthy if he'd worked on gen2 bore scoring.

F1ashgordon said:
I'd be interested to hear from hartech though, but I would assume (as he posts here fairly regularly) that it'd be newsworthy if he'd worked on gen2 bore scoring.

I think it unlikely Baz would stick his neck out with any conjecture. It's not in his nature and it would serve no purpose for him to be disavowed by Porsche UK.

Nice to hear from someone who actually has suffered. Not the suffering mind, the fact that it's, well, a fact and not an opinion.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back