Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smokey 997 Turbo

kaisersolsay said:
I'm I right in saying that 80% of all 911 smoke a little on start up?
Yes, but only when people are watching/looking at you :wink:

Haha.

But I am right that the top end is prone to leaking into the cylinder? I'm thinking of going 5 up on the viscosity.

any thoughts?

I had done 45K in mine and never saw a reason to change the oil spec..
It tends to be when the car has had a short run and the oil sits in/on the bores due to the obvious flat 6 arrangement not allowing it to drain away, occasionally they start up in a lovely white smoke for a few seconds and following that nothing more. :D
It does seem to be one of the flat 6 unique foibles

I mentioned this to my dealer after I experienced the same and they told me that Porsche has another oil that smokes a lot less but it's more expensive. Never asked what it was called.

It's all part of the character along with the gurgles and rattles from a mezger.. :thumb:

Theres many threads on the US forums about oil viscosity and they say Porsche actually use a 5/40 as a matter of course.

isysman said:
I mentioned this to my dealer after I experienced the same and they told me that Porsche has another oil that smokes a lot less but it's more expensive. Never asked what it was called.

That's Porsche's special snake oil..

Senoj said:
isysman said:

That's Porsche's special snake oil..

Is that the Cobra or Python?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back