Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT throttle response

Pickse

Nurburgring
Now I'm getting to drive my new turbo more often I find what I thought was me being ham fisted (footed?) with the throttle may actually not be me.

When applying throttle slowly from closed not an awful lot happens, despite definite movement of the pedal, until suddenly we're off with a bit of a lurch.
It's more noticeable when cold but still there when warm.
I don't believe it should be like this and searching the forum I see reference to cleaning the throttle body, and potentiometers, and also the maf.
Does the symptom I'm seeing sound like cleaning these parts would help?

I still have a couple of months warranty left with RPM but if a clean will do it I'll have a go.

Any advice from those who've done this appreciated.

I can't advise on the solution, but I can say that it isn't normal in my experience so something is up somewhere.

MC

If you have a warranty, rush it in and have it checked out.

Are you sure what you experience is not 'turbo lag' combined with that inevitable slight lag there always is with an auto box due to the fluid drive torque converter rather than the firm friction clutch plate biting the flywheel in a manual box?

Get the car back to RPM for a check. Could be boost leaks or actuator related too. A quick check of the waste gate operation on both sides would be easy to do. I had an actuator go down which gave similar symptoms to yours, very 'laggy' response.

It is fixed now and absolutely flying! Mine still had boost by the way, despite this problem, it just took a while to build up.

It's definitely worth removing the TB and cleaning the butterfly valve (to remove sticky oil residue which may collect behind the valve and gum up the smooth operation of the valve) - and while it's out open up the actuator, lift and spin the main cog round (the cog that opens/closes the butterfly valve) "a few teeth" then reinstall (this mitigates any wear on the teeth in the original position, causing "backlash" and/or slack operation), and clean the tracks and contacts of the potentiometer with IPA and a cotton-bud. Finally; taking out the MAF and giving it a good spray with IPA will restore "perkiness" to the throttle response.

Bear in mind that electronic throttles always seem to suffer from a little hysteresis - hence the use of electronic trickery like a SprintBooster (which essentially sends the ECU a false - i.e. increased - throttle angle than is actually the case)

If you have a fluctuating idle (rev counter needle wavering on idle) then you may have extra air entering the system post-MAF (i.e. unmetered air) - this is more often than not caused by a vacuum leak pre-TB.

I've just got mine out for the first time this year ( car that is ! ) and noticed a similar thing, if I pull off gently it doesn't go then suddenly does more than I want, then the power goes off a bit and finally back on, then its ok. It's far from un-driveable, but it is annoying.

In the past it was a lot worse and cleaning the tracks in the throttle plate potentiometer, and turning the cog as mentioned above, made it much better.

I'm going to see how hard it is to remove the potentiometer for the throttle pedal, and see if I can clean it in the same way as the rear.

Mac

Thanks for the replies.
And Mac yeah that's exactly the symptom I see. Nothing, nothing, nothing & woah!

I have plenty of boost (1 bar at max) and it goes like a missile just makes me look a bit of a idiot at the occasional roundabout.

I'll start with the TB & maf and if it persists it'll be back to RPM for sure.

Cheers,

Mac996t said:
I'm going to see how hard it is to remove the potentiometer for the throttle pedal, and see if I can clean it in the same way as the rear.

Mac

I think the throttle pedal position sensor is a sealed unit and can't be taken apart for cleaning like the potentiometer on the TB can ...

(Porsche p/n 99660611500)

Check your turbo actuators.......sound like sticky wastegates to me.

DeathStar said:
Mac996t said:

Mac

I think the throttle pedal position sensor is a sealed unit and can't be taken apart for cleaning like the potentiometer on the TB can ...

(Porsche p/n 99660611500)

hope your wrong on this one, but suspect your probably right LOL

I don't think it has anything to do with the boost control, on my car at least.

It's most noticeable on mine at very small throttle openings. For example if I drive along at 1000 rpm in first then try to speed up to 1500 rpm as gently as I can, that's when it does it the worst. I don't think the turbo's will be producing any boost at this speed hence the wastegates are not being asked to move and control the boost, also the boost control is very good on my car ever since I replaced the wastegate solenoid.

Mac

A sticky wastegate can stay in open position , just a little bit can make the car really laggy.

Mac996t said:
hope your wrong on this one, but suspect your probably right LOL

Sorry dude - I got under the dash today and had a look at mine - it is the sealed unit version, so it's a replacement job rather than something you can open up and clean (it's a real fiddly bastard to get at too!)

Thanks for all the replies.
I did get the car back to RPM but, as with every other niggle I felt I had with the car, no fault found

So I finally got around to obtaining a throttle body gasket and yesterday removed and cleaned with IPA. It was really quite dirty with a black oily deposit especially around the edge of the butterfly. Also cleaned the MAF, got it all back together and hey presto! The car is transformed.

Score one for 911UK, nil to RPM due their lack of interest.

Pickse said:
Thanks for all the replies.
I did get the car back to RPM but, as with every other niggle I felt I had with the car, no fault found

So I finally got around to obtaining a throttle body gasket and yesterday removed and cleaned with IPA. It was really quite dirty with a black oily deposit especially around the edge of the butterfly. Also cleaned the MAF, got it all back together and hey presto! The car is transformed.

Score one for 911UK, nil to RPM due their lack of interest.

I love it when a plan comes together.

great to see it fixed and potentially help others if they get the same symptoms!!

I had a similar problem on my turbo which was solved with new plugs and coil packs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back