Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2014 Race 1 & 2 Brand Hatch

Porsche News

Brands Hatch start for 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB

The new season for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB starts at Brands Hatch (29/30 March) and there is an exciting new look for 2014 with the arrival of the sensational Type-991 911 GT3 Cup.

Aside from a silencer system developed to meet UK noise restrictions, the car is the same as used in Porsche Super Cup and is the race evolution of the latest 911 GT3 road car. The car is completely new and has many fundamental and detail changes over the previous Type 997 911 GT3 Cup.

While the car is brand new, the driver likely to be at the very front of the action is certainly familiar as Michael Meadows bids for a record-breaking third championship title with continued backing from Samsung. The 2012 and 2013 champion made his intentions for the season clear when he headed the times during the recent pre-season test and media day at Silverstone.

'That was a good start and the car ran strongly," said Meadows who is back with Redline Racing for the coming season. 'The new car is going to blow last year's lap times away," he added, having instantly gone faster than in the previous model car.

However, Meadows knows he will need to keep pushing hard and one of his biggest challenges could come from his new team mate, Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Josh Webster. On his first full day in a Porsche, Webster ran Meadows very close and the Suffolk teenager will only get quicker and quicker as his experience grows following a successful single-seater career. 'I love the car!" said Webster.

Former single-seater racer Paul Rees is another strong contender for overall glory and will spearhead the In2 Racing squad as he makes a move into sports and GT racing. Rees progressed up the single-seater ladder into the FIA Formula 2 Championship in 2010 but has not raced regularly for several seasons.

'I had a great opportunity to come back to racing, and sports and GT racing is now my career focus," said the Oxford-based driver. 'I want to make my mark in the Carrera Cup and I want to challenge Michael Meadows. He's going to be the man to beat and it is great to have a benchmark like Michael."

Another Redline Racing driver will also contest the Pro category as popular Spanish racer Victor Jimenez steps up as the reigning Pro-Am1 champion. With several more drivers likely to be confirmed in the final run-up to the opening race, there should be some great racing at the head of the field as well as in the Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 categories.

In Pro-Am1, Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) set a strong pace at Silverstone to lap within half a second of Meadows' best time and will also be a contender for the overall podium. Meanwhile, Pro-Am2 is shaping up for an excellent season as Will Goff (In2 Racing) goes up against Carrera Cup newcomers Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing). Both Kyle-Henney and Liquorish move up from the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge and Kyle-Henney scored his first race win at Brands Hatch last September.

Attachments

• brands01_830.jpg
    brands01_830.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14,874
  • brands02_101.jpg
    brands02_101.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14,874
Rolling starts to feature in Carrera Cup GB

Rolling starts will be a spectacular new feature of the 2014 Porsche Carrera Cup GB, when the all-new type-991 911GT3 Cup is introduced into Britain's fastest one-marque race championship.

In each of the race weekends supporting the MSA British Touring Car Championship, the second race of the weekend will feature a rolling start. The weekend's first race will continue to have a traditional standing start.

The development is primarily to prepare drivers for the high-profile race at Le Mans in June, when the Carrera Cup GB will link with the Carrera Cup France for a race on Saturday morning (14 June) ahead of the start of the world-famous 24-hour race. The Le Mans race will be from a rolling start.

'We wanted to make sure our drivers were ready for the Le Mans race, so we have introduced rolling starts for the second race of all our BTCC weekends," said Marion Barnaby, motor sport manager at Porsche Cars GB. 'For any driver aiming at a career in sports and GT racing, mastering rolling starts is an important part of their development, so this change has a double benefit for our drivers."

The Carrera Cup GB has only once before featured a rolling start when it was part of the Porsche Carrera World Cup at the Nurburgring in 2011. The championship's first rolling start in the UK will be in round two at Brands Hatch on Sunday 30 March.

Attachments

• pccgb14_199.jpg
    pccgb14_199.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 14,872
Barker tops Carrera Cup GB test at Brands Hatch

Ben Barker tops the testing times at Brands Hatch
Josh Webster and Michael Meadows run second and third
Karl Leonard and Will Goff top Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Ben Barker ended the day at the top of the time sheets for the Porsche Carrera Cup GB after testing at Brands Hatch today (Friday 28 March). Barker, running the guest car with Parr Motorsport, Barker set the standard at 46.288s, a whisker ahead of Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Josh Webster and his Samsung UHD TV Racing team mate Michael Meadows.

In Pro-Am1, Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) headed the category with sixth best time overall while Will Goff (In2 Racing) set the Pro-Am2 pace but only narrowly as his three main category rivals lapped within half a second of his best time.

On a day when conditions were generally dry and cool, Barker did a long new tyre run towards the end of the afternoon to go fastest, but both Webster and Meadows were right on his tail as less than seven-hundredths of a second covered the three cars as the new Type-991 911 GT3 Cup made an impressive sight on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit.

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) headed the chase of Leonard in Pro-Am1, while Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing), Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) were all close to Goff in Pro-Am2, which is set for one of its most competitive seasons so far.

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) fastest overall:
'It's good to be back in the car. It's a cool day and it took a while to build up tyre temperature. This is the ideal warm-up for the Porsche Supercup season and I just enjoyed being back in the car."

Josh Webster (Samsung UHD TV Racing) second overall:
'It's been a very good day. We worked on the car after the first session to get it just to my liking and it was going quicker and quicker. There is more time to come and I'm very positive."

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) third overall:
'The car was very good on old tyres and we we're fastest by three tenths at that stage. Then I got traffic on new tyres. I certainly expect to be in the mix for pole in qualifying tomorrow."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I'm just rusty, but I've woken up since this morning. That was my first run on new tyres and I'm just getting back into it. I certainly think I can find two or three tenths."

Will Goff (In2 Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:

Meadows takes double Carrera Cup GB pole at Brands Hatch

Michael Meadows tops qualifying at Brands Hatch
Ben Barker and Josh Webster lead the chase of Meadows
Karl Leonard and Will Goff top Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Michael Meadows got his bid for a record breaking third Porsche Carrera Cup GB title off to a perfect start by taking two pole positions during qualifying at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 29 March). Ben Barker and Josh Webster took second and third places for both grids as a quarter of a second covered the top three.

In Pro-Am1, Karl Leonard took two poles for Team Parker Racing while Will Goff (In2 Racing) set the pace in the hotly-contested Pro-Am2 category. Making an impressive Carrera Cup debut was local racer Jake Hill, who took fourth overall on both grids.

In warm sunshine, the latest Type-991 911 GT3 Cup made a stunning spectacle around the Brands Hatch Indy circuit as Meadows set the mark for Samsung UHD TV Racing. However, guest racer Barker (Parr Motorsport) ran him close as Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Webster showed fine pace to take two third places ahead of his championship debut.

Leonard ran up among the Pro drivers to set a fine Pro-Am1 pace from team mate Justin Sherwood, while Goff had a strong session to head Pro-Am2. However, Steve Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) and Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) were right with Goff ahead of what promises to be some great battling in Sunday's two races.

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) fastest overall:
'That was better than testing yesterday. The first tyre run wasn't so good with the red flag as I was going to do two or three more laps. It's really good having Ben here as a benchmark as he knows the Type-991 from the Porsche Supercup."

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) second overall:
'I hoped for something better, but I've never been that great here. I'm getting used to the new tyres and I can race from second on the grid. Congratulations to Michael: he's a very good qualifier and always hard to beat."

Jake Hill (In2 Racing) fourth overall:
'I'm chuffed to bits: really, really pleased. That's exactly where I wanted to be and if I can hold fourth in the races that will be a great start."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) fastest in Pro-Am1:
'I lost my best lap after running wide at Graham Hill Bend. Then I was a tenth up and had a spin, so a 46.3s is in there. I'm very happy with that."

Will Goff (In2 Racing) fastest in Pro-Am2:
'It's close this year, which is really good. It takes a while for the tyres to come in and I was pleased to stay on the back of Paul Rees during the session."

Round 1 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 46.022s; 2 Ben Barker 46.209s; 3 Josh Webster 46.307s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard 46.617s; 2 Justin Sherwood 47.117s; 3 Kieran Gallagher 48.221s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff 47.189s; 2 Steven Liquorish 47.466s; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney 47.494s.

Round 2 grid:
Pro category: 1 Michael Meadows 46.133s; 2 Ben Barker 46.221s; 3 Josh Webster 46.319s.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard 46.683s; 2 Justin Sherwood 47.143s; 3 Kieran Gallagher 48.232s.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff 47.283s; 2 Steven Liquorish 47.578s; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney 47.695s.

Attachments

• brands05_240.jpg
    brands05_240.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 14,867
  • brands04_140.jpg
    brands04_140.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14,867
  • brands03_187.jpg
    brands03_187.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14,867
Barker wins Carrera Cup GB opener at Brands Hatch

Ben Barker wins to mark debut of Type-991 911 GT3 Cup
Michael Meadows and Josh Webster complete overall podium
Karl Leonard and Steven Liquorish claim Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Ben Barker took a resounding victory in the opening round of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch this morning (Sunday 30 March) as the race heralded the arrival of the latest Type-911 911 GT3 Cup.

Guest racer Barker jumped ahead of Michael Meadows off the line and was able to stay ahead as Meadows took maximum championship points with second place. In an impressive third, on his debut Porsche race, was Carrera Cup Scholarship racer Josh Webster. Meanwhile, after some close battling in the pack, Karl Leonard and Steven Liquorish won Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 respectively for Team Parker Racing.

Barker (Parr Motorsport) drove a faultless race to win from the front as Meadows tracked him and Webster slotted into third, recognising that he did not quite have the pace to go with his two more experienced rivals.

Into an excellent fourth went Jake Hill (In2 Racing) on his championship debut, but he had Victor Jimenez (Redline Racing) and In2 team mate Paul Rees on his tail at the finish. Jimenez had to race hard after falling to last when he got bogged down at the start and was rewarded with a strong fifth place. Pro-Am1 winner Leonard ran fourth on the road, but a penalty for exceeding track limits dropped him to sixth.

In Pro-Am2, Will Goff (In2 Racing) set the early pace, but two spins at Graham Hill Bend dropped him to the tail of the pack. Instead Liquorish moved ahead and had to withstand constant pressure from Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) over the second half of the race as they both turned in excellent debut races in the championship.

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) first overall:
'I got a mega start. I've got a bit of experience with the Type-991 and the start was just what I wanted. I knew I was quick enough and that I had to get in front of Michael from the start. It was a nice race to drive."

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) second overall:
'That got the cobwebs blown away. That's the longest run I've ever done in the car and it was good to be able to see what Ben was doing. He did it all in the first five or six laps and then the gap stayed constant."

Josh Webster (Redline Racing) third overall:
'No dramas! Ben and Michael had the pace on me. The race felt very long and a tenth of a second a laps makes a big difference over 34 laps."

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'I was disappointed to get the time penalty, but I still won Pro-Am1, which was the main thing. I made a few little mistakes."

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) second in Pro-Am1:
'That was a bit lonely but it was okay. Will Goff was running behind me but then he spun. I was hoping to tag along with Victor Jimenez, but I didn't quite have the grip."

Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'I'm chuffed to bits, particularly because qualifying wasn't brilliant. I dropped a bit of time at the start when Victor bogged down. Then I saw Peter coming strongly, so I had to keep pushing."

Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) second in Pro-Am2:
'Wow: that was hard work. I was pushing Steven for all I was worth. Late in the race I saw Ben Barker in my mirrors and had to keep out of the way, which cost me a little bit."

Results round 1:
Pro category: 1 Ben Barker; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Josh Webster.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Karl Leonard; 2 Justin Sherwood; 3 Kieran Gallagher
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Steven Liquorish; 2 Peter Kyle-Henney; 3 Kelvin Fletcher.

Attachments

• brands09_159.jpg
    brands09_159.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 14,826
  • brands08_211.jpg
    brands08_211.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 14,826
  • brands07_887.jpg
    brands07_887.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14,826
  • brands06_429.jpg
    brands06_429.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 14,826
Barker does Carrera Cup GB double at Brands Hatch

Guest racer Ben Barker wins round two
Michael Meadows takes maximum champion points
Justin Sherwood and Will Goff claim Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2

Ben Barker completed a perfect day in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 30 March) when he won round two of the championship. The guest driver shot ahead at the rolling start and stayed ahead as Michael Meadows chased. By finishing second on the road, Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) claimed maximum points and the early championship lead.

Jake Hill (In2 Racing) drove a storming race to fend off Josh Webster (Redline Racing) for third while Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) and Will Goff (In2 Racing) clinched Pro-Am1 and Pro-Am2 respectively.

From the new rolling start, Barker (Parr Motorsport) held on boldly around the outside at the first corner to dive ahead of Meadows and that was how it remained as the two drivers proved very evenly-matched. In their wake, Webster was edged wide at Graham Hill Bend as Hill grabbed third. Though Webster fought back to chase Hill all way to the flag, Hill drove a very mature race to defend his podium position.

Karl Leonard (Team Parker Racing) set the early Pro-Am1 pace, but contact with Paul Rees (In2 Racing) ended in a spin at Druids and Leonard later retired to the pits. Sherwood moved ahead to take Pro-Am1 victory. Goff always headed Pro-Am2, but there was a great battle for second as Steven Liquorish (Team Parker Racing) had to work very hard to fend off Peter Kyle-Henney (Parr Motorsport) and Kelvin Fletcher (Redline Racing) in a race-long contest.

Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) first overall:
'That's been a mega weekend and the rolling start was great. I worked really hard to warm up the tyres on the left-hand side of the car so I could go really late on the brakes round the outside at Paddock."

Michael Meadows (Samsung UHD TV Racing) second overall:
'This was not a time for taking risks. The times were close and I caught Ben a little but then we had backmarkers at the end of the race."

Jake Hill (In2 Racing) third overall:
'That was such a good race. I'm quite proud of myself for holding Josh off and the last 10 laps were amazing."

Justin Sherwood (Team Parker Racing) first in Pro-Am1:
'That was pretty much the same as the first race. There was a good little battle at the start. I'm happy with the result for my first weekend and only my third day in the car."

Will Goff (In2 Racing) first in Pro-Am2:
'That was much better. I got a good start and got away. Initially I stayed with the guys in front and then just tried to manage the gap to Steven Liquorish."

Results round 2:
Pro category: 1 Ben Barker; 2 Michael Meadows; 3 Jake Hill.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Justin Sherwood; 2 Kieran Gallagher.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Steven Liquorish; 3 Peter Kyle-Henney.

Attachments

• brands10_188.jpg
    brands10_188.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14,824

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back