Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Voltphreaks Lightweight 12V Lithium Car Battery GROUP BUY

Porsche News

For more info on the Voltphreaks Lightweight 12V Lithium Car Battery, can be found at http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56030

GROUP BUY

At least 5 orders are required to secure the Group Buy 20% off rate

911uk has been able to secure 20% off the current price of the Lightweight Voltphreaks 12V Lithium Car Battery

Recommended model for Porsche Cars is the
VPH-750
VPH-900
VPR-P6

Also for the VPH900 and VPR-P6 only, you will get free SAE posts, M6 to SAE battery terminal adapter kit (aluminum)

The recommendation for Porsche cars is the VPH750 at a minimum, while for users that want more capacity or power, the VPH900 or VPR-P6.

DATA SHEET FOR VPH 750 AND 900 SERIES BATTERIES

DATA SHEET FOR VPR P6 SERIES BATTERIES

The best is the VPR-P6, it has the best weight/performance ratio, plus it is compatible with any standard mount for the Odyssey PC680.

If you want the lightest possible weight, get the VPH750. If you'll be starting the car when it's extremely cold often, get the VPH900. If you want the car to last a few weeks parked, get the higher capacity VPH900. If the main purpose of the car is as a track car, get the VPH750. Here is a comparison chart for Voltphreaks Lightweight 12V Lithium Car Battery

This is the current state of the art in lithium battery technology. It is 3 to 5 times lighter than a comparable lead-acid battery of similar specs, and lasts 5 to 10+ years with proper use. Up to 5 times the life of a lead-acid battery; racing teams are replacing their Voltphreaks battery every 3-5 years instead of every year with their lead-acid battery.

Retail Price list for Voltphreaks Lightweight 12V Lithium Car Battery

Group Buy 20% Discount (exc Shipping, UK Taxes)

@ £/$ Exchange Rate as at 23/3 of £/$1.65

VPH-750 $899 = $719 Group Buy rate = Base GBP Price £435*
VPH-900 $1,199 = $959 Group Buy rate = Base GBP Price £58*
VPR-P6 $1,280 = $1,024 Group Buy rate = Base GBP Price £620*

996 / 997 GT3, Minimum Recommendation is VPH-900

Shipping will be to a single UK location from the USA, then Good will be forwarded on using Tracked UK Service.
* Shipping Costs are as of yet, TBC. This excluded any final UK Duty Charges, at this time budget an extra 20%.

Voltphreaks can also be contacted by PM to user "vph_tony" or by email to [email protected]

Interested Parties
1. Stuart - 996 GT3 - VPH-900
2. Ian - 997 GT3 RSR - VPH-P6
3. 911uk - 964 RSR VPH-900

Porsche User Feedback

manogh said:
Car - 996 GT3 RS 2004

Just buy a Lithium Ion battery from Voltphreaks....modern technolgy.

You can remotely switch it off yourself or it will do so automatically and you never need to worry about recharging and removals....plus it weighs 2kgs compared to 17.

You obviously dont drive your car in the winter so the cold start problem is a non-issue.

I have mine for a year or so.....bloodly brilliant. I so love the wizardry and benefits of modern techno

Note, * POSSIBLE INCOMPATIBILITY

Lithium batteries could be incompatible with some (not all) Porsche GT cars. We have heard from some customers that their GT's alternator may not maintain the right voltage to charge a lithium battery. We are not aware of any other cars that show this behavior.

Almost all car alternators (inc Porsche GT) maintain 14V to 14.6V to properly charge the car's battery, and this is what the Voltphreaks battery expects. Some Porsche GT's undercharge their lead-acid batteries, this is not compatible with the more efficient lithium batteries. Below 13V, a lead-acid battery will be partially charged, but a lithium battery will be barely charged.

If purchasing a Voltphreaks battery for a Porsche GT2 or GT3 (or if you suspect your car's voltage may be incompatible), measure the voltage with engine on (so alternator is supplying power) first to insure compatibility. Voltage at idle should be around 14-14.6V. This likely only applies to Porsche GT's, as we have not encountered this issue with other cars including other Porsches.

Attachments

• groupbuy2014_146.jpg
    groupbuy2014_146.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 13,034
  • installs997_154.jpg
    installs997_154.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 12,982
  • vph750_148.jpg
    vph750_148.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 12,982
You prob will need to get your alternators altered to charge over 14v all the time. Mine has already been done and I have the guys number if anyone needs it. Also can get some nice holders from where mine was made.

JohnnyDangerous said:
You prob will need to get your alternators altered to charge over 14v all the time. Mine has already been done and I have the guys number if anyone needs it. Also can get some nice holders from where mine was made.

Only a small percentage have been affected by his issue.

Worth checking just in case

Update

Interested Parties

911UK said:
JohnnyDangerous said:

Only a small percentage have been affected by his issue.

Worth checking just in case

The charge HAS to be over 14v at the battery to ever fully charge it, you cannot go by the voltmeter in the car, my alternator was tested and at reasonable load ie lights on and heater it would not go over 13.7. Like I said if any guys want the alternators done I can sort that but the guy will not deal with public, im quite happy to sort at cost in the interest of club spirit, same with the holders we would get a good deal on 5 !!!!
Edit to say when I went through this with Tony from voltphreaks the lower voltage will still charge the battery just not to 100%, if its possible to have the car on a maintainer now and again this is not a problem. If any one wants pics of my install just ask here.

Or you could get half of the benefit for 1/8 the cost by changing to something like a Red Top 30. No charging issues either.
MC

MisterCorn said:
Or you could get half of the benefit for 1/8 the cost by changing to something like a Red Top 30. No charging issues either.
MC

Not really! Red top is 3 times the weight at least and nowhere the same cranking amps and they last no time at all compared to an LI battery, plus the Voltphreaks have the computerised overprotection and discharge protection.

Just wanted to add, with the lower voltage of some GT alternators (13.7 volts for example), it will undercharge any battery somewhat. This isn't an issue if you drive the car regularly. Using say, a 30 pound lead-acid battery as an example, charged to 14.5 volts, might last 3 weeks parked. Charged to say, 80%, it will last 2.4 weeks parked before needing a jump start (note that the Voltphreaks battery will not need a jump start once it's empty, due to the LVC).

I'm not sure why the alternators charge to a lower voltage on some Porsche GT's, maybe to prolong a lead-acid battery's life.

It's easy to check alternator charge voltage, just start the car, put it in idle, let things settle for a minute or so, then measure voltage at battery terminals. If it's near 14V to 14.5 volts, you're fine. If it's low 13's, that's too low. If it's 13.6, 13.7V, it's not ideal but it will still work, but the battery might be only 90-95% charged at times.

- Tony

Interesting issue this. My C-TEK never gets to step 7, the maintenance charge step (stays on step 6, the 'charge' stage), I guess this means I have one of the weaker alternators that never charges my (OEM / non-LI) battery fully, and that it's on the way out. Will check the voltage over the weekend.

vph_tony said:
It's easy to check alternator charge voltage, just start the car, put it in idle, let things settle for a minute or so, then measure voltage at battery terminals. If it's near 14V to 14.5 volts, you're fine. If it's low 13's, that's too low. If it's 13.6, 13.7V, it's not ideal but it will still work, but the battery might be only 90-95% charged at times.

Measured mine today, exactly as you instructed, bang on 13.5V.

I drive mine roughly once a week at the weekend so stands for 7 days on alarm and tracker. Will I have a problem?

:dont know:

Stuart said:
vph_tony said:

Measured mine today, exactly as you instructed, bang on 13.5V.

I drive mine roughly once a week at the weekend so stands for 7 days on alarm and tracker. Will I have a problem?

:dont know:

13.5V is a little low, but it should be able to last a week. It's not ideal though, but the battery usually lasts 2-3+ weeks for most people, so a week should probably be fine.

My alternator runs 14.2v all the time :)

Why would anyone be looking at a large investment in these great batteries and skimp on getting their alternator sorted to suit ?

JohnnyDangerous said:

Hi - I am interested in this for my cars, have sent pm.

Thanks.

911UK said:
Update

Interested Parties
4. farook - 996 GT3 - VPH-900

Hi Ian am potentially interested for my 996 gt3 as well as my other cars - will confirm once I have contacted Tony @ vph.

The firm for the alternator is
http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/contact/

Someone will need to e.mail them and do this as a group buy as he is trade only, use the reference 911UK
He also does alternators for TVR's as they suffer from batteries like mad.

Ask for Luke, I will ask the holder man how much for the holders if someone gives an amount but I would say if its 5 then around £25 each.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back