Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A tale of love and rust....964 style

B345ty

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi everyone!

A little while ago I posted a small list of "to dos" for 2014. This has grown somewhat:

Repair headlight rust
Replace windscreen
Repair scuttle/front wings
Check behind shark fins and repair as necessary
Redo shoddy repair of tail light rust
Repaint engine lid
Repair rust in rain gulley nr rear screen
Investigate rust bubble on rear quarter
Repair rear screen rust in lower corners
Patch up hole in rear quarter inside engine bay
Repair and respray rear PU
Repair and respray front PU
Full caliper refurb and paint
New alloys and tyres
Adjust ride height to accommodate new wheels
Replace body seals
Replace horns

So decided full respray as well - why not! With all of that going on it seems silly to restore all panels bar the doors roof and bonnet!

Will post 'before' pics tomorrow, weather permitting. Le Pork is booked in for 3rd May for a few weeks so a little while to go but a lot of goodies will be arriving in the meantime!

New windscreen ordered from OPC this week - apparently last 1 available in UK and Germany? Wonder if the '1' in stock even exists.

to be continued...

Go for it!

Repairing individual panels can be a bit demoralising in my view. However, a full respray gives something genuinely to look forward to.

As promised, here are some photos of the rust situation. Apologies for the quality of these...

Various rust bubbles all over the place. Some worse than others.

I think I should be more concerned that somebody has covered my car in arrows!

Attachments

• os_scuttle_and_wing_rust_copy_865.jpg
    os_scuttle_and_wing_rust_copy_865.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 7,581
  • ns_scuttle_rust_2_copy_369.jpg
    ns_scuttle_rust_2_copy_369.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 7,581
  • os_headlight_rust_copy_133.jpg
    os_headlight_rust_copy_133.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 7,581
  • ns_headlight_rust_copy_102.jpg
    ns_headlight_rust_copy_102.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7,581
  • as_it_is_now_copy_833.jpg
    as_it_is_now_copy_833.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 7,581
  • from_a_distance_copy_213.jpg
    from_a_distance_copy_213.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 7,581
More pics...

Attachments

• various_chips_to_rear_pu_copy_694.jpg
    various_chips_to_rear_pu_copy_694.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 7,574
  • rear_pu_hairline_cracks_copy_185.jpg
    rear_pu_hairline_cracks_copy_185.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 7,574
  • engine_hole_copy_122.jpg
    engine_hole_copy_122.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 7,574
  • ns_rear_quarter_bubbles_copy_188.jpg
    ns_rear_quarter_bubbles_copy_188.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 7,574
  • os_rear_quarter_bubbles_2_copy_110.jpg
    os_rear_quarter_bubbles_2_copy_110.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7,574
  • rear_rain_gulley_rust_copy_572.jpg
    rear_rain_gulley_rust_copy_572.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 7,574
  • rear_window_rust_copy_210.jpg
    rear_window_rust_copy_210.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 7,574
An odd bubble....maybe rear quarters damaged/replaced at some point? No record of the work having been done but looks suspicious. Maybe something got caught in the paint? We will see.

Attachments

• strange_bubble_copy_109.jpg
    strange_bubble_copy_109.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 7,572
Good, another one on the road to perfection.
Looks like the inner rear quarter has been looked at before. Good luck with it and keep us up to date with pic's :thumb:

Is that Clinchy's old car? Number plate looks very familiar.
If so, he may have some history on it.

Out of interest you have 993 16" alloys on, have you got spacers too? Reason I ask is I'm sure these rub on 964's on the oil pipe or trailing arm opposed to arch.

Chris W said:
Out of interest you have 993 16" alloys on, have you got spacers too? Reason I ask is I'm sure these rub on 964's on the oil pipe or trailing arm opposed to arch.

Yes, there are spacers on rear wheels. These 993 alloys will be for sale in the near future as I will be replacing them with Veloce 3.6 Speedline replicas.

RobIpswichUK said:
Is that Clinchy's old car? Number plate looks very familiar.
If so, he may have some history on it.

Don't think this is Clinchy's old 64 but happy to be corrected! It did belong to a previous forum member called BK911 about 5 years ago then fell off the radar until I bought it in 2012. It had sat about for a fair bit and the usual electrical gremlins and other bits needed doing. As long as it gets driven regularly, all is well (touch wood)!

One other bizarre thing is the belt tension sensor is missing. Looks like it has been snapped clean off...Belts have been checked by Autostrasse and are ok but will definitely be getting this sorted when it goes in for service/MOT in June!

Good luck with it.

Don't forget to post lots of pics as you go.

:thumb:

Apart from the rear wing/engine join it doesn't look too bad chum and I dare say you could touch it up with some of that dark nail varnish you're using :thumb:

Essentially a good rub down, some treatment and a full respray. Best of luck :thumb:

Evening all

I ordered the new alloys/tyres today and am thinking it might be a good idea to get some locking wheel nuts. I don't have them on the current wheels at the moment as car is locked away when not in use, although it does sometimes visit unsavoury neighbourhoods. What are your thoughts?

First delivery from the postie arrived today....containing...
(walks away in anticipation of the jokes that will ensue) :oops:

Attachments

• wp_000237_copy_935.jpg
    wp_000237_copy_935.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 7,165
Is that a pic of types from a matchbox car or some kind of reinforced teats :dont know:

Zingari said:
Is that a pic of types from a matchbox car or some kind of reinforced teats :dont know:

They cover the light pins inside the doorframes. The rubber had perished on one so bought the pair. Couldn't find the part number on the diagram but they turned up on fleabay.

Off to OPC tomorrow to get prices for vast quantities of rubber. So far Type911 are cheapest.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back