Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audi RS4 seats being stolen to order

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Audi RS4 front seats are being stolen to order - with the cars being written off by insurers due to the £19,000 cost of replacing them

Adam McKenzie saw the broken windows as he soon as stepped out of his south London home late in January. His beloved Audi RS4 performance saloon had been broken into. But when he got closer his annoyance turned to outright amazement: working right under his bedroom window, the thieves had managed to unbolt both his front seats and squeeze them out of the smashed window.

Audi-RS4-seats-1_2854729b.jpg

"I was just gobsmacked. In a way I was impressed with how it had been done," he says.
But much worse was to come. His Insurance company told him that to fix the 2007 car and replace the seats would cost £19,000. Although worth about £26,000, McKenzie's once immaculate, low-mileage car would be written off.

McKenzie wasn't the only one affected. In July 2013, cameraman Chris Smith lost the seats from his RS4 outside his house in Fulham. A week after McKenzie's car was targeted, equity fund manager David Torbet from Clapham woke up to find the roof ripped open on his RS4 convertible and the seats gone. In November last year management consultant Matt Rhodes from Richmond narrowly avoided the same fate when neighbours disturbed a thief about to do the same thing.

Smith said: "I have only met two other people who have the same RS4 and all had seats stolen. That's three out of three." Tales from dealers, forums and aftermarket alarm-installers suggests seats aren't safe in any street-parked RS4, especially in London.

Torbet's car was also a write-off and Smith only managed to get his car repaired with Insurance money after he put in strenuous leg-work to get the price of the seats reduced.

So what is it about the RS4's seats that makes them so expensive? The so-called B7 version of Audi's practical supercar was sold between 2006 and 2008 and although the V8-powered machine is still highly desirable and worth upwards of £30,000, Audi doesn't make the seats any more.
The interior of the B7 Audi RS4, including the highly valued seats
So they have to be imported in parts and according to mechanic Daniel Parsons at Five Oaks Audi, who had painstakingly done just that for Smith, it takes in excess of 20 hours at £132 an hour. "It was hard work," he says.

So that accounts for the cost. But who on earth are these seats being stolen for? Audi only sold about 2,000 of the cars in those two years and the race-inspired, leather-skinned bucket seats are hard-wearing enough not to need replacing.

grossb.jpg

The answer could lie in a new modification fashion, according to one expert. "There's a type of styling trend called OEM-plus where you use original equipment parts but from a superior car like a Bentley, Porsche or Audi," says Elliott Roberts, editor of Performance VW magazine. "You see Audi TT dashboards in Golfs and all sorts of stuff."
This he says is a step up from the old days when the Max Power generation slapped on an aftermarket body styling kit. This is much more sophisticated.

Fitting the parts to cars such as Golfs is fairly easy given how companies like VW encompass so many brands, all sharing parts and platforms. But these parts are not easy to get hold of, and they're not cheap.
"Normally it's a case of going on eBay or to a scrapyard and buying parts from a scrapped car," says Roberts. "Even secondhand they go for £2,500 for two front seats, so you see why there's a black market out there."
High-end seats are the latest parts to be targeted following on from a spate about three years ago when Bentley Continental GT owners were finding their £100k-plus cars sitting on bricks with the wheels missing.

Two things are making life easy for the RS4 seat-theft criminals and hard for the police. The first is the lack of identification on the seats linking them to the original car. Go on to eBay and RS4 seats can be sold with impunity. Audi confirmed to us that they still don't put VIN numbers on or tag the latest RS4 seats, something that energy trader McKenzie is unimpressed with. "It's not going to stop unless they help existing owners," he says, pointing out that identification data tagging on (Audi-owned) Ducati motorcycles has been standard since the late Nineties.

RS4-interior_2855347c.jpg

The second problem is the ineffectiveness of the alarm. "The RS4 security system is very poor," says Antony Noto, owner of Bristol-based alarm company Secure My Car. "The siren is very quiet and the sensors can be disabled in seconds." Exactly what happened to both McKenzie and Rhodes (the ripped-out sensors are pictured above).

Noto said he's seen about 30 cases of seat-theft around London in the past year, mostly RS4s but also less rarified models such as the S-line high-spec versions of standard Audis. "An Audi dealership called today about one of our systems. They have three cars in at the moment which have been attacked," he says.

Source, The Telegraph

:eek:

Just checked on eBay - there seems to be quite a few for sale on there.......

~ Maxie :what:

They are great seats though - the bolsters would tighten when you activated sports mode :thumb:

....£132/hour....... :eek:

that guy has even bigger balls than a Porsche OPC !!!!

Audi RS4 front seats are being stolen to order

Read the title and was just about to place my order :wink:

VAG are clearly missing a trick here - if people are paying £2.5k for hooky used merchandise : if they put them back into production (in volume they would cost nothing like that on a production line) there should be money to be made selling them retail... :?:

The seats are the only decent bit of the car. :hand:

Maxie said:
:eek:

Just checked on eBay - there seems to be quite a few for sale on there.......

~ Maxie :what:

No need, just pick up a couple from a London street.

Why anyone would want to live in the Smoke amazes me.

(Unless your rent is being paid by me, of course)

Bet its roro

First off... I think its disgusting that VW Golf MK4 owners put Bentley and Porsche wheels on their cars. It actually makes me sick.

If you want Porsche wheels - buy a F@~&*^&^%^%$^ Porsche for the love of Allah!

Secondly... The fact that people are breaking into cars for the seats only is ridiculous. I think it is stupid. A real car thief would take the vehicle and sell it whole. Who cares anyway? If they really loved the stupid piece of metal it would be garaged. Just my opinion - don't all start crying.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back