Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker again

highway

Mexico City
Took car in today to have Grand Prix (Amber) fitted. I have the head unit, phone mic, phone cables for phone mic and the proper Becker iPod kit in the box.

Installer tells me my amp isn't compatible with the Becker which has pre out for a sub but not an amp. My Becker powers up with the code on the installers bench but apparently iPod kit not communicating with head unit. I have lost interest in it all.

I'm changing the amp and keeping the vaguely offensive looking hu in the car. Before I list on eBay does anyone here want the Grand Prix with the boxed phone kit and mic?

That all sounds a bit strange. What amp do you have ? Maybe give Greg at Autoaudio a call - I'm sure they'd get it going for you. Shame to get rid of such a perfect HU.

Fallen out of love with the whole idea now. The current system can do.

:eek:

Beats me why you all bother will all this modern digital audio stuff in cars that gets driven so infrequently.

Engine sound, with the odd blast of Radio2 from a 'period' HU is enough for me.

I can listen to the glorious air-cooled all day :grin:

Sounds to me like the guy does not know what he is talking about and he should actually read the Becker manual as you have to swap over a plug in the default Becker harness connector block with the iPod cable. This involves relocating the microphone connector which you need a special tool ( or some imagination) to do !

I plugged mine into the amp as that it what a pre out is for ie unamplified to go to an amp :roll:

Ps as far as I can remember it actually has amped outs as well to install where there is no seperate amp. Has the guy ever seen a high end head unit before :dont know:

I don't recall any harness lead swapping with mine. I've put the unit in both my 993's, and both times they have been plug and play.

The iPod lead connects where a CD Changer would normally be. Again this should be plug and play so long as the lead isn't defective.

Sounds like its time to move to a capable installer.

Is your installer actually trained on transistors, or valves :dont know:

Don't give up on this Highway. Unfortunately I have had too many similar experiences of installers and auto electricians not having a clue what they're doing.

dommorton said:
I don't recall any harness lead swapping with mine. I've put the unit in both my 993's, and both times they have been plug and play.

The iPod lead connects where a CD Changer would normally be. Again this should be plug and play so long as the lead isn't defective.

Sounds like its time to move to a capable installer.

Dom it depends if the iPod lead is added later. It shares the same plug in tHe Becker harness as used by the microphone lead. So if you add the iPod interface later you have to swap over the microphone to the iPod connector block. This requires a special tool to pull the connector from the original Becker block. It's all described in the installation instructions. I assumed as the report was no comms with the iPod and no mention of swapping mic connectors during the test that the installer had not even connected it properly :dont know: compounded by the fact pre amps seemed to confuse him.

My Becker didn't need any leads swapping as far as I remember.

Fitted HU, Mic and iPod Interface all at the same time, all parts being brand new.

I have the last version of the iPod interface, and fairly certain it was dead simple plug and play in to both my 993's.

This is why I am confused by the swapping of the mic talk.

Here's how mine is wired.

photo21_zpse22c049d.jpg

photo31_zps797d3179.jpg

V4 Lead

photo12_zpscbc893f1.jpg

Do you mean something else? :?:

Your top pic shows the mic lead and pin which pushes into one of the Becker connector blocks. Without the iPod interface there is a default block used which the mic pin pushes into. If you have the iPod interface when first fitted you push the mic connector into this instead. If however you later fit the iPod interface or buy a second hand unit and iPod interface seperately you have to remove the mic from the default block. As you can see on the pic the mic pin which pushes I to the block is very small and has retaining clips to hold it in the block. A special tool is needed to remove it to swap it to the iPod interface block or you can try to get it put without which usually involves destroying the original block (I've done these with and without the tool).

Ps the guy on ebay who sells a lot of these refurbed supplies new blocks without the mic connected because of this.

As the OP bought the unit second hand and interface seperately I have assumed the mic needs transferring to the iPod block which is not easy to do without the tool. It would not stop you testing the operation of the iPod interface but ISO done who does not know Beckers may not even bother identifying which block to remove to fit the interface.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back