Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

heat exchanger

Mark Houghton

Trainee
My car recently failed its MOT on a few minor things including a leaking pre-silencer. I tried to remove it but only successfully removed one bolt. Whilst working on it I noticed the nearside heat exchanger could be moved up and down I.e. the vertical downpipes could move up and down inside the exchanger. Forgive my lack of understanding but can I take it that its had it?

Thanks

Mark

Sounds like the case has come away from the main pipes, maybe still usable but sounds like its on the way out

Not going to be cheap, either I am going for S/S mine are being fitted in two weeks a complete system with rear exhaust.
The bonus going S/S fit it and go no need to touch it again.

SEE YA said:
Not going to be cheap, either I am going for S/S mine are being fitted in two weeks a complete system with rear exhaust.
The bonus going S/S fit it and go no need to touch it again.

Would you mind letting me know where you're buying it from and how much please?
Thanks
Mark

9MLS said:
Sounds like the case has come away from the main pipes, maybe still usable but sounds like its on the way out

That's what I thought as the other side is tight.
Many thanks

A stainless steel heat exchanger is about £450.00 with the VAT, you're bound to need other parts though!

Hayward&Scott £2650 fitted by them. If you break a stud doing it DIY its a engine out job so for £250 they can do .
They have a very good rep, for there systems however not the cheapest by far.

I am selling my old exchanges £200 a pair, they are not to bad overall good nick one has a small hole could be fixed better when off the car for a better job.

Also selling my rear exhaust, in very good condition £400 .

Both will be ready after the 29 March.

Yes 930 I did a lot of research before my choice.
The only bonus is, its fit and go never have to replace it again plus the cars a keeper .
I have had it since 2007, could not afford to buy one now gone up in value far to much.

These big bills do come up in Porsche ownership, I knew it was coming sooner or later.

I'm going down the route of a repair I've decided. There's a guy just a few miles away from who is a bit of genius with fabrication. He assures me he can repair my existing system. The crossover pipe, offside heat exchanger and the main silencer are solid. Just a hole in the connecting end of the pre-silencer and loose nr side heat exchanger. Fingers crossed I can save a few grand!!!

Goodluck the thing is, sooner or later its a bill you may have to face.
As you can only patch things for so long.

Just as I have had to do :)

I never said they would, just saying sooner or later its bill most 911's have to pay.

My car is back on the road with new MOT and no advisories. The guy I used to sort the exhaust has made fantastic job of it. He completely plated the pre-silencer and fabricated a new covering over what was left of the heat exchanger. At last a craftsman rather than a fitter. I'll post pics when I get car back tomorrow.

Well done, I pick up my car with new system fitted on Saturday.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back