Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Owners. Where would you go from here?

T8

Super Moderator
About 18 months ago I asked a similar question of 996 Carrera owners.

At that time the responses enabled me to conclude that the 996 Turbo was a car that many 911 owners really fancied as their next step.

Interestingly I also got a lot of responses from people that already owned a 996 Turbo and most of them said that they would either (a) keep it for a quite a while or (b) move away from Porsche to a more exclusive marque.

So, 996 Turbo owners, how long have you had your car and what do you see as being your next step. :?:

THREAD RESURRECTED ON 10th JULY 2015 AND AGAIN ON 17th JANUARY 2017

I know I'm not a current 996 Turbo owner but I'm going to post anyway. :grin:

The main reason I got rid of my Turbo was because I wanted something that was more fun at lower speeds. The Cayman S fits the bill nicely for now but I think I'll try a 997 GT3 when funds allow. I love the 9x7 shapes and interiors and the GT3 is the best 9x7 there is IMO.

I would probably go the GT3 route..Although I love the performance and looks of my turbo the harder edge viscerally of the gt3 does appeal.
Lack of a back seat would probably put pay to that thought though!

Kept my turbo 3 years then switched to Ferrari since I fancied a change and different soundtrack.still love Porsche though and would consider a new gt 3 (if they were not so difficult to get hold of)

997 GT3 (if I could bloody afford one! :roll: )

Or a 997 Turbo (again: if I could bloody afford one!!!)

I missed the Carrera question but I am interested to follow this as I am unsure which way I'll go after the C4S.

I bought it to use everyday and put 7k miles on in the first 6 months, as I never quite got around to selling my Merc I have been using that for work at the 996 for fun. The 996 was going to be kept for 2 years or until it had circa 80k on the clock and then be changed.

A year after the purchase, I have about 62k on the clock and absolutely love it but I am wondering whether to go 996TT or 997 (something) 996TT is not far in looks from my car already of course. I haven't driven one but I make the assumption that aside from the power and the way it is delivered it won't be a great deal different to my car now.

Headlights - They are my least loved feature of the 996 (but I can't see them when I am actually enjoying the car so it's a very small part). 997 styling is more to my taste.

4WD again? probably not. I haven't had much in the way of 4WD in the past and I bought this because I wanted the Turbo but couldn't justify it at 15-20k miles per annum (some running costs have to be considered). Also, I wanted my wife to drive it and although she loves the power, she hates the responsibility and rarely uses it anyway so all of the PSM etc. that is standard on the C4S is less of a concern going forward.

Whatever happens, it will have to be a wide body version as it makes me look slimmer! Black is slimming too isn't it? A black wide-body it is then!
:thumbs:

I have a year to decide (probably) so we'll see. I'd be interested to know of anyone that has had a C4(s) and gone for the Turbo and what their thoughts were afterwards.

I would love to get a Ferrari, but I can't see myself getting rid of the Porsche. The Ferrari is all about the looks and the sound. I like the 360 and the F430, or a V12 front engined beasty.
Not having space in the garage for two big fun cars is putting a big stop on that, that and the fact that SWMBO would either kill or divorce me.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I would love to get a Ferrari, but I can't see myself getting rid of the Porsche. The Ferrari is all about the looks and the sound. I like the 360 and the F430, or a V12 front engined beasty.
Not having space in the garage for two big fun cars is putting a big stop on that, that and the fact that SWMBO would either kill or divorce me.

MC

Not forgetting the handling... :)

niall said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

I drive my cars on the road mainly, if I'm getting anywhere close to the limit of the Porsche it is unsafe on the roads IMO. I doubt that would be any different in a Ferrari.

MC

MisterCorn said:
niall said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

I drive my cars on the road mainly, if I'm getting anywhere close to the limit of the Porsche it is unsafe on the roads IMO. I doubt that would be any different in a Ferrari.

MC

Likewise but can still enjoy some spirited driving without getting close to limits

Blobsta said:
I missed the Carrera question but I am interested to follow this as I am unsure which way I'll go after the C4S.

I bought it to use everyday and put 7k miles on in the first 6 months, as I never quite got around to selling my Merc I have been using that for work at the 996 for fun. The 996 was going to be kept for 2 years or until it had circa 80k on the clock and then be changed.

A year after the purchase, I have about 62k on the clock and absolutely love it but I am wondering whether to go 996TT or 997 (something) 996TT is not far in looks from my car already of course. I haven't driven one but I make the assumption that aside from the power and the way it is delivered it won't be a great deal different to my car now.

Headlights - They are my least loved feature of the 996 (but I can't see them when I am actually enjoying the car so it's a very small part). 997 styling is more to my taste.

4WD again? probably not. I haven't had much in the way of 4WD in the past and I bought this because I wanted the Turbo but couldn't justify it at 15-20k miles per annum (some running costs have to be considered). Also, I wanted my wife to drive it and although she loves the power, she hates the responsibility and rarely uses it anyway so all of the PSM etc. that is standard on the C4S is less of a concern going forward.

Whatever happens, it will have to be a wide body version as it makes me look slimmer! Black is slimming too isn't it? A black wide-body it is then!
:thumbs:

I have a year to decide (probably) so we'll see. I'd be interested to know of anyone that has had a C4(s) and gone for the Turbo and what their thoughts were afterwards.

I was in exactly the same boat. With a nice slimming black c4 so no wide body, and looking to upgrade. Spent a lot of time considering a 997 (similar view on 996 headlights) but for the money to get a gen 2 and avoid the same engine woes as the 996 was a big premium for very little extra (997 headlights, pasm, round headlights and a very small performance increase) vs similar money for a 996tt and having a real super car :D was just a no brainer to me.

Re the wife. The tt can be driven sensibly and easily. No worse then a straight carrera.

I went from a 996 Turbo as an everyday car to a 996 GT2 because I 'thought' I wanted something faster.

The GT2 wasn't as practical and after 2 years realised it was only going to be a matter of time before I lost my licence and came to the conclusion I needed something 'slower' but would give me as many 'smiles per mile'.

I tried a 993 and then a 964 but neither proved ideal as an everyday car.

Now I'm in a Cayman (turbo), it ticks every box except the one for '4 seats' and that's a compromise I can live with :D

I don't see me parting with the Turbo for a while - 18 months on and I'm still mesmerized by the looks and the performance!

I'd love a Ferrari - 360 as that is only vaguely in reach (though the 430 would be the one I'd really want - but way too much).

I hear such horrendous stories about how brittle Ferrari's are and horrenous servicng nd maintenance costs that after a few beers I think maybe a 5 year old Audi R8 might fit the bill in addition to the Turbo.

cheshire911 said:
I don't see me parting with the Turbo for a while - 18 months on and I'm still mesmerized by the looks and the performance!

I'd love a Ferrari - 360 as that is only vaguely in reach (though the 430 would be the one I'd really want - but way too much).

I hear such horrendous stories about how brittle Ferrari's are and horrenous servicng nd maintenance costs that after a few beers I think maybe a 5 year old Audi R8 might fit the bill in addition to the Turbo.

Im not sure there are many supercars that could be used as daily drivers, i suspect a ferrari would fall apart if anyone did the average of 10,000 miles in it, not to think of the depritiaition :D .

I doubt Ferrari's can ever be daily drivers. A Porsche can be and is for some members on this forum. The Ferrari woud fall apart as according to my research, ball joints are weak, suspension genrally is naff and engine is fickle and sensitive to service intervals. Parts are supposed to be astronomical and yes, very mileage sensitive on resale values.

That's why I am reluctant to proceed - but it's a seductive beast every time I see and hear one - but then I pinch myself to remind me of all that my research has thrown up.

The Porsche (and for me the Turbo) has to be the best value supercar around.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back