Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Warranty - minor work not by Porsche centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesr36

Hello

I have just bought a 997 C2S privately. The previous owner bought it used from a main dealer and has passed the balance of the OPC warranty to me. I'm very happy with it

One of the warranty terms is that the car must not be serviced, repaired or maintained by a non Porsche centre.

I have no problem getting servicing and repairs carried out at the OPC but how far do I need to take this. Do I really need to get my MOT from the OPC, or replacing brake pads etc, or can I get minor work carried out at a local indy or local garage using genuine parts.

Has anyone ever had their warranty cancelled for this reason?

Thanks

No problem with the MOT - OPC's out-source this job anyway...

I've asked this question before and strictly speaking everything needs to be carried out at an OPC however for something like replacing brakes then providing you're using genuine Porsche parts then they're not going to know.

The only time you could be at risk is if you've modified a part of the car and you develop a problem with it, at this point the OPC may void the claim. I would guess that it's at the dealers discretion.

Overall though, I've found OPC's to be very negotiable on pricing, I've had 15% knocked off my servicing and tyre prices matched within £10 to the best quote out on the market so they're not too bad.

The OPC warranty is definitely one of if not the best warranty on the market for Porsche so I wouldn't risk voiding any future claim as I spent a premium from buying from an OPC.

The writing is very clear on the documents: You MUST use the OPC for everything.

Ask an OPC and they'll say you just have to use OEM parts and the labour by a registered garage. We had a slightly heated debate about this late last year, which was fun :D

Your call, ultimately. I have no issues getting quality indies to do the work using OEM bits, but that's at my own risk (or was, until I left the warranty scheme). Totally your call, you know what you're comfortable with risk-wise.

Don't assume the OPC is more expensive. I've been surprised more than once with this. I had a quote for some work last year, and the cheapest quote was from an OPC, cheaper than two major Indies! I can tell you the Indies were quite surprised when I told them they were more expensive.

I've had the odd thing done at amazingly cheap rates at OPC.

Porsche are sticklers for detail on warranty and if they find something that is not an official part they wont do any work under warranty on it or any thing that might have had a knock on effect - i.e. if your steering rack failed and you had non OEM steering arms you wouldn't stand much chance as far as I can tell. (might be a terrible example to use, but hopefully you get what I am trying to say).

Play by the rules with most OPC and they are great and very helpful and flexible and goodwill is quite common.

I have work done elsewhere on simple stuff such as brake pad changes and many do their own - so quick and easy.

If it was a new car warranty then under European legislation you are entitled to have the car serviced and worked on by whoever you want without voiding the warranty, providing the standard of work is carried out in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.
However with a used car warranty the legislation does not apply and they can tie you in to whatever they like, and would no doubt do anything they could to avoid paying a claim.

F15HAR said:
If it was a new car warranty then under European legislation you are entitled to have the car serviced and worked on by whoever you want without voiding the warranty, providing the standard of work is carried out in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.
However with a used car warranty the legislation does not apply and they can tie you in to whatever they like, and would no doubt do anything they could to avoid paying a claim.

The footnote to this is that only the first 2 years of the warranty are the new car warranty from Porsche. After that everything is on extended warranty terms (so if you bought a brand new one with 3 years of warranty, only the first 2 are under that European legislation).

Not this one again !! Ask your OPC and, it would seem, Porsche GB. Apparently they have stated in writing that you can have work carried out by a VAT registered concern using genuine parts without voiding the used warranty. I would suggest that they are the only authority on this matter, causes lots of fuss on these forums!!!

carruthers said:
Not this one again !! Ask your OPC and, it would seem, Porsche GB. Apparently they have stated in writing that you can have work carried out by a VAT registered concern using genuine parts without voiding the used warranty. I would suggest that they are the only authority on this matter, causes lots of fuss on these forums!!!

I think that applies to new car and not used car.

I asked my supplying OPC and they said strictly speaking all work carried out on your 997 should be done by an OPC as per the terms of the warranty but providing customers use genuine parts then its hard to police who has done what on the car.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/documents/communication.pdf

The extended warranty issue is something the EU is clearly unhappy with, but to date has done nothing to remedy. As seen below...

31. As regards access to technical repair information, it should be recalled that Regulation (EC) No 715/20079, which regulates the type approval of light passenger and commercial vehicles provides for a detailed set of rules ensuring full and non- discriminatory access to such information for all independent operators. This regulation is already applicable on a voluntary basis and will become mandatory for new type approvals from September 2009 onwards.10 However, for several years, the car park will still contain large numbers of vehicles not covered by Regulation (EC) No 715/2007, which will constitute a significant market for independent repairers. The Commission therefore concludes that it is important to continue to enforce competition rules in order to prevent foreclosure of independent operators by ensuring equivalent access conditions for technical repair information pertaining to the existing car park.
32. It should also be observed however, that anticompetitive foreclosure effects may equally stem from other practices aimed at sheltering authorised repairers from competition by independent repairers. A typical example is the possible misuse of legal and extended warranties granted by the vehicle manufacturer which are sometimes honoured only on condition that all repair and maintenance works, including those not covered by the warranty terms, are carried out by a member of the authorised network. A drawback of the current Regulation is that, by exempting qualitative selective distribution agreements without any market share threshold, it has prevented effective remedial action against such potentially harmful practices.

Zantaz said:
carruthers said:

I asked my supplying OPC and they said strictly speaking all work carried out on your 997 should be done by an OPC as per the terms of the warranty but providing customers use genuine parts then its hard to police who has done what on the car.

No, Porsche have stated in writing that this applies to used warranty.

carruthers said:
Zantaz said:
carruthers said:

No, Porsche have stated in writing that this applies to used warranty.

May I ask where?
I haven't seen this in writing from my local dealership.

EDIT: I realise my post could be going over old ground already covered so I'll stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back