Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 90
996 : 1997-2005 39
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

jamesr36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: OPC Warranty - minor work not by Porsche centre Reply with quote

Hello

I have just bought a 997 C2S privately. The previous owner bought it used from a main dealer and has passed the balance of the OPC warranty to me. I'm very happy with it

One of the warranty terms is that the car must not be serviced, repaired or maintained by a non Porsche centre.

I have no problem getting servicing and repairs carried out at the OPC but how far do I need to take this. Do I really need to get my MOT from the OPC, or replacing brake pads etc, or can I get minor work carried out at a local indy or local garage using genuine parts.

Has anyone ever had their warranty cancelled for this reason?

Thanks

John H
Nürburgring

2011 Porsche 997 Carrera GTS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the MOT - OPC's out-source this job anyway...

Zantaz
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked this question before and strictly speaking everything needs to be carried out at an OPC however for something like replacing brakes then providing you're using genuine Porsche parts then they're not going to know.

The only time you could be at risk is if you've modified a part of the car and you develop a problem with it, at this point the OPC may void the claim. I would guess that it's at the dealers discretion.

Overall though, I've found OPC's to be very negotiable on pricing, I've had 15% knocked off my servicing and tyre prices matched within £10 to the best quote out on the market so they're not too bad.

The OPC warranty is definitely one of if not the best warranty on the market for Porsche so I wouldn't risk voiding any future claim as I spent a premium from buying from an OPC.

Ekona
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writing is very clear on the documents: You MUST use the OPC for everything.

Ask an OPC and they'll say you just have to use OEM parts and the labour by a registered garage. We had a slightly heated debate about this late last year, which was fun Very Happy

Your call, ultimately. I have no issues getting quality indies to do the work using OEM bits, but that's at my own risk (or was, until I left the warranty scheme). Totally your call, you know what you're comfortable with risk-wise.

Ex-997.2 C2S PDK

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume the OPC is more expensive. I've been surprised more than once with this. I had a quote for some work last year, and the cheapest quote was from an OPC, cheaper than two major Indies! I can tell you the Indies were quite surprised when I told them they were more expensive.

SausageCreature
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the odd thing done at amazingly cheap rates at OPC.

Porsche are sticklers for detail on warranty and if they find something that is not an official part they wont do any work under warranty on it or any thing that might have had a knock on effect - i.e. if your steering rack failed and you had non OEM steering arms you wouldn't stand much chance as far as I can tell. (might be a terrible example to use, but hopefully you get what I am trying to say).

Play by the rules with most OPC and they are great and very helpful and flexible and goodwill is quite common.

I have work done elsewhere on simple stuff such as brake pad changes and many do their own - so quick and easy.

F15HAR
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a new car warranty then under European legislation you are entitled to have the car serviced and worked on by whoever you want without voiding the warranty, providing the standard of work is carried out in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.
However with a used car warranty the legislation does not apply and they can tie you in to whatever they like, and would no doubt do anything they could to avoid paying a claim.

Previous Porsche
02 996 Turbo,Aero kit, 450BHP
06 Cayenne
02 Boxster S
96 Boxster 2.5

Disco
Estoril

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F15HAR wrote:
If it was a new car warranty then under European legislation you are entitled to have the car serviced and worked on by whoever you want without voiding the warranty, providing the standard of work is carried out in accordance with the manufacturers requirements.
However with a used car warranty the legislation does not apply and they can tie you in to whatever they like, and would no doubt do anything they could to avoid paying a claim.

The footnote to this is that only the first 2 years of the warranty are the new car warranty from Porsche. After that everything is on extended warranty terms (so if you bought a brand new one with 3 years of warranty, only the first 2 are under that European legislation).

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten

carruthers
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this one again !! Ask your OPC and, it would seem, Porsche GB. Apparently they have stated in writing that you can have work carried out by a VAT registered concern using genuine parts without voiding the used warranty. I would suggest that they are the only authority on this matter, causes lots of fuss on these forums!!!

Zantaz
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carruthers wrote:
Not this one again !! Ask your OPC and, it would seem, Porsche GB. Apparently they have stated in writing that you can have work carried out by a VAT registered concern using genuine parts without voiding the used warranty. I would suggest that they are the only authority on this matter, causes lots of fuss on these forums!!!

I think that applies to new car and not used car.

I asked my supplying OPC and they said strictly speaking all work carried out on your 997 should be done by an OPC as per the terms of the warranty but providing customers use genuine parts then its hard to police who has done what on the car.

F15HAR
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/documents/communication.pdf

The extended warranty issue is something the EU is clearly unhappy with, but to date has done nothing to remedy. As seen below...

31. As regards access to technical repair information, it should be recalled that Regulation (EC) No 715/20079, which regulates the type approval of light passenger and commercial vehicles provides for a detailed set of rules ensuring full and non- discriminatory access to such information for all independent operators. This regulation is already applicable on a voluntary basis and will become mandatory for new type approvals from September 2009 onwards.10 However, for several years, the car park will still contain large numbers of vehicles not covered by Regulation (EC) No 715/2007, which will constitute a significant market for independent repairers. The Commission therefore concludes that it is important to continue to enforce competition rules in order to prevent foreclosure of independent operators by ensuring equivalent access conditions for technical repair information pertaining to the existing car park.
32. It should also be observed however, that anticompetitive foreclosure effects may equally stem from other practices aimed at sheltering authorised repairers from competition by independent repairers. A typical example is the possible misuse of legal and extended warranties granted by the vehicle manufacturer which are sometimes honoured only on condition that all repair and maintenance works, including those not covered by the warranty terms, are carried out by a member of the authorised network. A drawback of the current Regulation is that, by exempting qualitative selective distribution agreements without any market share threshold, it has prevented effective remedial action against such potentially harmful practices.

Previous Porsche
02 996 Turbo,Aero kit, 450BHP
06 Cayenne
02 Boxster S
96 Boxster 2.5

carruthers
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zantaz wrote:
carruthers wrote:

I asked my supplying OPC and they said strictly speaking all work carried out on your 997 should be done by an OPC as per the terms of the warranty but providing customers use genuine parts then its hard to police who has done what on the car.

No, Porsche have stated in writing that this applies to used warranty.

Zantaz
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carruthers wrote:
Zantaz wrote:
carruthers wrote:

No, Porsche have stated in writing that this applies to used warranty.

May I ask where?
I haven't seen this in writing from my local dealership.

EDIT: I realise my post could be going over old ground already covered so I'll stop there.

Last edited by Zantaz on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ekona
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no Sad

Ex-997.2 C2S PDK

HarryH
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekona wrote:
Oh no Sad
Hand Pop Corn

jamesr36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I reckon brake pads and MOTs at the local garage/indy with OEM parts. Everything else at the OPC

carruthers
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is in the archives a thread dealing with this issue where the OP had written assurance from his OPC and the warranty department of Porsche GB that work could be carried out by VAT reg business using genuine parts. The OP did get a lot of hassle and some very pointed insults but others have confirmed this.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carruthers wrote:
There is in the archives a thread dealing with this issue where the OP had written assurance from his OPC and the warranty department of Porsche GB that work could be carried out by VAT reg business using genuine parts. The OP did get a lot of hassle and some very pointed insults but others have confirmed this.

Unfortunately the written assurance also contained the following paragraph.

"However if any failure happens to your vehicle and it is linked to work carried out by a non Porsche Centre a warranty claim will be declined."
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

carruthers
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, seems a quite reasonable clause. If any failure occurs due sub standard work or parts what do you expect.

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carruthers wrote:
Yes, seems a quite reasonable clause. If any failure occurs due sub standard work or parts what do you expect.

And that is the point.

If you have work done at somewhere other than an OPC you run the risk of a warranty claim being turned down.

Because of this most people wouldn't take that chance and, having bought an OPC warranty, would have work done at an OPC.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: