Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting from cold - What does yours do?

Mark Houghton

Trainee
When I start her up from cold the revs go up and down. The engine doesn't cut out or anything but just wondered if this is normal. Once warm which seems to be a matter of minutes the car runs fine. Could the cold start valve be faulty?

Thanks Mark

My sc did the same and it was the csv.At the time I could only find one from a turbo which made it rev a little too much from a cold start but it did work ok.Easy DIY job too.

Mine revs up and down like a motorbike (well not that extreme, but as if someone is blipping the throttle gently) just for a minute, and stalls easily. after that it's fine.

I will have a poke at the CSV sometime, but I only ever think about it for the first minute.

Common on my 964 for a minute when it's cold. All other times OK. Not got any further to investigating as it doesn't really cause me an issue.

Its a much different set up on an SC compared to a Carrera and the 964 is different again.Although both have a type of csv it differs as the K-jetronic is essentially a mechanical injection whereas the later models are run by an ecu.

Mine does exactly that from cold (It is an SC - '79) just a mild fluctuation but noticeable - it warms up in about 30 seconds and is no bother after that. I'm pleased Im not alone...

Mine does exactly that from cold (It is an SC - '79) just a mild fluctuation but noticeable - it warms up in about 30 seconds and is no bother after that. I'm pleased Im not alone...

My 89 3.2 does it too, only for about 15-20 seconds. I've never thought about investigating why it does it as I've read about it before and it does seem to be quite common.

My 1985 3.2 wouldn't tick over when cold and a new Idle Stabiliser was fitted. Now it starts first time and doesn't cut out but it does hunt around from 1000 to 1800 revs or so, for 10 - 15 seconds. I'm pleased to hear this seems quite normal.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back