Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PASM failure... Ouch

clarkey979

Hi all, I had some knocking from the front of the car, assumed it was the usual drop links, however turned out to be the dampers. Confirmed later by a warning on the dash "PASM failure". I've had to book the car back in in a weeks time, in the meantime I am stuck in the seriously firm track setting. It's just not funny on oxford roads, horrendously uncomfortable.

Anyway, I thought I should share the latest cost with you. An eye watering £500 per corner for pasm shocks, excluding labour. Something to consider as the 997 gets older

Hi clarkey,

What's the mileage on your car?

bilstein b6, better and cheaper

I am sure I had heard that you can have them rebuilt as the bilstein facility is in Leicester. I think centre gravity can arrange this so may be worth a few phone calls?

I will check out both suggestions thanks, really helpful. Just checking its ok to drive around on failed Pasm isn't it? I am assuming it is, like its just the suspension working in its firmest setting as the valves don't open! Thanks

its fine, I drove that way for a month on CGs recommendation

Im in a similar position, changed everything apart from the damper in an attempt to resolve a knock on my drivers side. (80k)

Can i change just the fronts to b16's with the PASM option to start with or do i need to do all 4 at the same time?

Im just after a quiet car, not one with a fancy setup :)

Hi guys, can you clarify this for me please? Can Bilstein in Leics rebuild existing PASM units, or just their own replacement non PASM units?

Thanks
Mark

supposedly the oem and their own

I wouldn't mix dampers generally, the B16 you can only by as a set anyway as they a full coilover solution

B6 are the PASM dampers and they can be bought in pairs

slackster said:
Im in a similar position, changed everything apart from the damper in an attempt to resolve a knock on my drivers side. (80k)

Can i change just the fronts to b16's with the PASM option to start with or do i need to do all 4 at the same time?

Im just after a quiet car, not one with a fancy setup :)

Glad to hear I am not the only one, same here, garage went through all the obvious stuff- drop links anti roll bar, changed bump stops... Didn't work. Dampers were the last resort. I knew it would be the dampers as just before the pasm failed it made less noise in sport mode. Anyway I am looking forward to a quite car too. Don't suppose I can use the warranty for this? Its probably down to wear and tear?

Dampers are specifically excluded from the OPC warranty, sadly :(

Cheers Markiii , i did a bit of investigation earlier and you confirmed my suspicion that the b16's are an overkill for me, do you know if the b4's are effectively the OEM replacement for the stock ones?

Depending on the price i'd be interested in bilstein refurbing my suspect one though if its cheaper all round.

B4 are oem equivelant, b6 are same but mono tube and gas filled

B8 are b6 but designed for use with lowering springs

I recently had the b6 fitted, and would again

markiii said:
supposedly the oem and their own

I think that the point that everyone is skirting around here is that AFAIK, Bilstein actually are the OEM - they make the standard dampers (which is why they are the people to go to in order to have them rebuilt).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back