Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo LWFW

Remote

Spa-Francorchamps
Im contemplating removing the LWFW from my 2002 Turbo.

The flywheel was installed along with a brand new Sachs uprated clutch approx 3months ago and has covered 2K miles.

If anybody is interested in it please PM me

I will look up the invoices later and see how much I paid for it and will price it accordingly

This is now off the car and ready to go

Will have pictures by the Weekend, includes all bolts that come with the flwheel.

This was nearly £800 from nine excellence one year ago, it has covered approx 3-4K miles max.

Removed because I prefer the dual mass, I'm not sure if this will fit the 997 Turbo, it appears some of the flywheels advertised do.

will put up on pistonheads also

BUMP

Still have this down in the garage.

Perfect condition, just taking up space

To save me searching previous posts/threads. . .what didn't you like ? and also, what were the "good bits" I guess there were some ?

the other me said:
To save me searching previous posts/threads. . .what didn't you like ? and also, what were the "good bits" I guess there were some ?

I had it removed due to basically finding it hard to deal with.

(1) It makes a chatter noise at idle which according to some people can sound like

(A) your engine maybe in the process of self destructing
(B) A lovely mechanical noise

I was personally in between the two.

(2) The car can stall if the revs drop suddenly, for example, approaching a set of lights, if you take it out of gear and the revs were dropping from 3/4k, you would have to get it into another gear quickly, or apply some slight throttle as you are in the process of clutching to keep the revs from falling towards the idle limit as sometime sthe revs would just drop to zero and stall the car.

You can adjust your driving style to cope with this by as I said applying some throttle on downshifts. However I do alot of city driving and it was becoming to much effort.

The good points - the engine response was much improved, the revs would rise more like an N/A car, M3 for example, rather than a Turbo. Since putting a dual mass back in the engine response feels more lethargic than with the LWFW.

Short response

Good Points = Performance

Bad points = Can be a pain in the ass and can sound like a bag of nails

The problem with the revs dropping can be fixed by drilling a hole in the throttle butterfly, this stops the revs dropping quite as quickly, although they still rise just as before. This completely stopped the problem with erratic idle and stalling on mine in the same manner as yours.
It still sounds like a bag of spanners when warm in neutral and there is some chatter at low revs.

If I was doing my mods again I wouldn't bother with one, but now that the driving issues are fixed I can live with the noise, once on the move it is great :thumb:

MC

Remote,

Sounds like time to refit it . . . . well, if not, at least you can add the "fix" to the recipients info bank & they can have an easier time with it.

the other me said:
Remote,

Sounds like time to refit it . . . . well, if not, at least you can add the "fix" to the recipients info bank & they can have an easier time with it.

:?:

sorry buddy have no idea what your on about??

Remote said:
the other me said:
Remote,

:?:

sorry buddy have no idea what your on about??

I think he is referring to the fix I posted above WRT the issue of stalling a lot when this is fitted. If you don't want to refit it, at least letting a potential customer know the fix will help them.

MC

Ok,

TBH I never heard of that fix, I have heard that you can incorporate the LWFW into a remap to run the car more smoothly at idle. I didnt have any issues at idle though.

I would ideally prefer if any potential buyers had experienced a LWFW on these cars before, I wouldn't recommend it for anybody using their Turbo as a daily driver.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back