Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Odometer not working

A993LAD

Right, I helpful chums I'm baffled by this one so am hoping someone has the solution.

My speedometer and the odometer and trip meters within it were all working fine. For no particular reason when I was driving along the other day I decided to reset the trip meter and I pushed the reset button returning it to 0 miles.

A couple of days later I noticed the trip meter was still at zero even though I had probably done about 50 miles. So I then watched the odometer and realised it wasn't increasing either.

The speedo continues to work fine.

Does anybody know what drives the trip meter and odometer or why they might suddenly stopped working.

I've tried pushing the reset button again a few times but that is having no effect. Obviously I should have just left it alone in the first place.

Any suggestions for fixing this will be gratefully received

Cheers

Marc

The odometer and speedo needle drive are the same one, so that is obviously working. If I'm not mistaken there is a thread on this forum somewhere detailing the procurement and replacement of a nylon odometer drive gear wheel which tends to wear or get damaged to the point that it no longer engages, and fails as you describe.
If someone doesn't come along shortly with a link, you should be able to find it using the search function.

PS: Here's one: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=84822&highlight=odometer+gear

This is a classic fault. You have a worn cog on the trip most likely caused by pushing in the reset whilst the car is moving :dont know:

Good news is it can be fixed but is a bit fiddle to do. IIRC someone has just done the repair on their 993 on here :?:

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/

:thumb:

What you've just described is the reason that so many low mileage 993's are knocking about :D

Seriously though - I had the wobbly needle issue, caused by the nylon cog getting soft as it ages. There is a co that will totally rebuild and refurb the speedo, I had mine done and it takes a month or two and costs £200 or so. Apparently they are total craftsmen who take their time but its worth it. Mine was done through my indie Precision Porsche, might be worth a call to them if you want the number of the guys

Hi,

I had my speedo repaired in the US, friends were travelling there. However, the below link was posted on here some time ago, I have not used them but might be worth a look.

ATB :)

http://www.speedycables.com/index.html

Julian Reap (Reapautomotive) may do it as he changes out dial faces :dont know: Worth a call

Hi, I posted my repair of that problem two months ago if you want to give it a try yourself. See link:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=84822

Still working well. If you have an option of getting it fixed by somebody local with experience and reasonable price you can go that path. Here in Malta it was not an option and was not ready to send the whole unit abroad. I was quite proud that I completed the job myself but not for the faint hearted. Watch and read the other links on the thread before attempting. If you want some more info pm me

Good luck.

NOOOOOOOOO!

Never ever reset whilst moving.

The cogs will be bust.

Thanks for all the responses guys - very helpful and informative.

We've owned this 993 for almost 2 years and had another one before that for about three years and I thought I knew most of the problem areas. But have to confess I had never seen anything about this "jelly" cog in the odometer. So I'm kicking myself now for resetting it whilst on the move.

Having read the instructions for doing DIY fix from Eye Candy and watched the video on you tube I have to say I can't see me being in a hurry to start that job!

So looking for a company that has done this before is probably my favourite option.

One of the posts mentions they had contacted a local VDO office that had a repair department - but it was in another country. Anyone know if VDO offer a service like this in the UK?

Search for Hans peters vdo and you will find his website. Based in the Netherlands and very capable at fixing these. Turnaround time is a few days.

You will receive a few pictures taken during the repair and it will be refurbished and cleaned. Very reasonable price as well.

David

DLK said:
Search for Hans peters vdo and you will find his website. Based in the Netherlands and very capable at fixing these. Turnaround time is a few days.

You will receive a few pictures taken during the repair and it will be refurbished and cleaned. Very reasonable price as well.

David

Web page is

http://www.hans-peters.nl/

They seem to know what they are doing but its all in Dutch so you may have to contact them directly. If they have the right cogs (miles) in stock the job takes less than three hours.

I did not fancy p-cars' method of removing the resetting button and the speedo needle. That is why I mounted everything on a polystyrene stage.

The back of the bezel has to be bent out to remove, but the scratches and unsightly irregular edge after refitting will not be visible as they face backwards into the rubber jacket mount.

Take care when you disconnect the speedo electrical connection as the plastic locking lugs look brittle. This odometer problem seems to be rare up north and I suspect that it tends to be more common in hotter climates like over here.

I have never checked the chassis legs which forum members seem to have often reported to be corroded and I wonder if hot climates which tend to gel the odometer cogs are associated with non corrosion of the chassis legs. I also have pristine looking headlamp rails corrosion of which may also be related to corrosion in other known parts of the 993.

It may be a good survey if members who found corrosion on the chassis legs also had rusty headlamp rails. And if people with odometer failure from broken cog teeth had no corrosion. Just a thought.

Yes, just contact the guy. Great to deal with and he works quite quicly.

He has special tools to open the gauge and equipment to calibrate the speedo aswell.

I tackle most problems on cars myself, but this fiddly job I was happy to outsource.

DLK said:

He has special tools to open the gauge and equipment to calibrate the speedo aswell.

I tackle most problems on cars myself, but this fiddly job I was happy to outsource.

Great advice - I'll email him today. Thanks guys

DLK said:

Great advice - I'll email him today. Thanks guys

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back