Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Daughter's car insurance

Millomboy

My first born is currently on a gap year. In her absence the wife and I have been using her car now and again to keep it ticking over with a view to things not seizing. Insurance is due at start of next month. Thought it might be simple and cheaper to insure the car in my name, then transfer when she gets back, for the three weeks she will be home before going off to university. My insurer and local broker say this is not possible, Insurance has to be done by my daughter. Daughter's name is on the license document. Anyone come across this before? :dont know:

You have to have an "Insurance interest".

If you own the car then you do.

I bought the car for her and did note that the registration form says it does not represent title, just who the registered keeper is (or words to that effect). I will try again then with that in mind. Cheers Peter.

Millomboy said:
My first born is currently on a gap year. In her absence the wife and I have been using her car now and again to keep it ticking over with a view to things not seizing. Insurance is due at start of next month. Thought it might be simple and cheaper to insure the car in my name, then transfer when she gets back, for the three weeks she will be home before going off to university. My insurer and local broker say this is not possible, Insurance has to be done by my daughter. Daughter's name is on the license document. Anyone come across this before? :dont know:

Try another broker for a better deal :)

911uk recommended Insurance

http://911uk.com/template.php?page=1

Will do.

Cheapest solution would be for you to become the registered keeper of the car (mainstream insurers typically want the keeper or their spouse). However - to some extent it might be better in the medium term to keep it with the urchin and have you as named drivers. More money, but she will need to spend that regardless to build a no claims. Are you talking just the gap year or longer?

I'd say the thing to do is to run lots of possible scenarios with the meerkats or fat opera bloke and work out what is worth doing from the resultant numbers.

I will sort it somehow. Thanks.

All sorted through Bridle. Thanks for your help and suggestions. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back