Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Insurance help for the young driver

apw2007

I spotted this and thought it might be of interest to those of you with kids - have no idea if it's any good but might be worth investigating.

Insurance premiums may have witnessed a slight respite recently with the introduction of legislation to cut down on so-called 'ambulance chasers', but for young people the nightmare of the first year's premium is still a crippling burden.

Parents often help with the cost, and high-profile Insurance broker R K Harrison has come up with a new Insurance portfolio idea that the firm says can significantly mitigate the financial impact of a new driver's Insurance premium. Not only that, but company bosses have joined forces with a long-standing motoring institution that's well placed to help reduce young drivers' premiums.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has stepped forward in partnership with R K Harrison to try to reduce the burden on young drivers with a revolutionary new technique – called helping them to avoid crashing. After all, eliminating crashes would all-but eliminate the premiums as well as saving many young lives every year.

It works like this: a parent takes out a 'family' Insurance portfolio covering a number of different policies including cover for their child's car. It's completely legal and the young driver can build up their own no-claims discount. A 'black box' monitoring system is installed into the car to measure speed, acceleration and braking, plus a GPS location logger to correlate driving inputs to road types.

Then, within a month of the policy's start the youngster must take a specific half-day course with an IAM instructor, who goes through various key – and 21st century relevant – aspects of staying safe behind the wheel. There are theory elements and practical on-road sections too.

Katie Small, director of R K Harrison, explains. 'Telematics isn't a new idea into the market," she says during an extended telephone interview, 'but unlike any other telematics solution that just monitors the driving, we are giving young drivers the tools to have the accelerated experience that they wouldn't have by only taking normal driving lessons and a driving test, [like] real-life scenarios, consequences, cause and effect, and in that the IAM are leaders in their field.

'They can also respond very quickly to make sure that the courses are done very quickly, but it's really to give the young drivers the tools to be able to stay safe rather than just penalising them for bad driving when they haven't actually been taught how to do it properly."

Every month, a report on the young driver's 'safety performance' is sent to them and their parents. It's hoped that the family pressure will help to encourage more considered driving. Ms Small says that the family portfolio should work out at between 10% and 30% cheaper than an equivalent product outside of this scheme, reducing the impact of that first year's car Insurance.

'Different parts of the policy will make up different elements of the discount," says Ms Small, 'and while there's no such thing as a 'standard' risk, all of the test studies we've done so far have saved between 10 and 30%.

'What we would see is a 20% reduction in what people were paying in year one, so in year two it very much depends on the [previous year's] driving. It will come down, especially because we can actually apply science to it; we're not just using computer-generated numbers."

Neil Grieg, director of policy for the IAM, is on board with R K Harrison's aims. 'Your average young driver will probably have learnt to drive in a town or city in daylight," he notes. 'They haven't gone onto rural roads; they certainly haven't gone onto motorways and they haven't built up that experience yet. What we're trying to do is give them a little bit of extra experience.

'Young drivers often don't recognise hazards until it's too late. Sometimes they get away with it because their reactions are quick, but often they can find themselves getting into situations."

Accident rates among young drivers, although steadily declining in line with all other age groups, are still a chief concern for the IAM. 'Our biggest road safety issue is young drivers; those first six to 12 months of solo driving, and we want to be doing something proactive," says Mr Grieg.

'What tends to happen is that when drivers get past that first 12 months and start to build up no-claims discount and a safe track record, Insurance companies start to reduce their premiums anyway. They need the help in those first 12 months.

'If they don't get priced off the road then they could get the chance to build up experience. There's research in Sweden that shows that those drivers that had the most hours out there end up as the safest drivers in all seasons."

Ms Small agrees that safety is the top priority for everyone. 'Parents' primary concern is their children's safety, and they also want to receive value for money. [We] can put the two together and have it cost less than customers' current solutions.

Love them or loathe them, telematics boxes are becoming a necessary piece of kit for young drivers but they don't have to be a big deal, as Mr Grieg explains. 'The thing about these black boxes is that drivers quickly forget that they're there and just drive normally, and then get the feedback afterwards."

Ms Small adds: 'We want to be promoting good behaviour rather than penalising the bad."

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/young-drivers-insurance-difference-110500059.html

http://911uk.com/template.php?page=1

Young drivers can drive well to test standard, and if they are driving with their parents they will drive impeccably, if they are driving with some post-test examiner who goes on to send a driving report to their folks, again, they will drive to test standards.

But put them at the wheel with a car full of their mates...

:(

Many thanks for this thread apw,
The partners nephew has recently passed his test at 20years so I'll be having a closer look at this. :thumb:

My 17 year old son passed his test in March and we got Insurance from drivelikeagirl.co.uk

He has a Mini One and we live in fairly Insurance friendly postcode and premium was £1800. This included fitting box to monitor driving and you get a login so that you can look at his 'score'.

If he 'drives like a girl' :D for the first 3 months, there is up to £300 refund as a 'reward' and to try and motivate him, we have offered him whatever cash back he earns.

Only downside is that you have to pay full premium when you buy, no direct debit.

So far so good and he is on target for maximum cash back. He also says that he likes having box fitted as when out with mates they know about the box and cash back so they are not surprised that he drives sensibly/legally, so don't take the p***!

Nick68,
my son passed his test at 21 and the Insurance was £2700 for a CH41 post code so £1800 looks a snip. :thumb:

Thanks for that, I'm now on it for her nephew who lives in Aviemore, this could well be a "friendly" post code. :D

:eek: Well here's a turnout. Daughters car renewal drops through @£2,100 :pc:

Last year when she passed her test the best and cheapest policy I could find with them was c£1,500 with a black box fitted. Over the year she has had money back every quarter (c£45 each time) for driving like a nun. Needless to say when I drove it to 'test' the new brakes I'd fitted she got a red card which took some explaining and me emailing proof I'd changed the brakes to have it removed :frustrated:

Now she had a bump last year (year one) when some knob was looking at his phone and piled into her, albeit applying rules of the road it was her fault. Other driver who I suspect was '3 sheets to the wind' despite having a good dollop of damage decided to drive off rather than hang around and never claimed :roll:

Anyway here we are at renewal time so the comparison sites come into play. I record the (driver fault) accident details and that no NCB has accrued and I get a quote of £760 including breakdown cover on the same car with Admiral :eek: OK it has a black box again or I could go with the next one up for £830 which only has the box for 3 months.

I wonder if her present insurer will price match :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back