Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Project - 'The Red Baron!'

Chief

Well as some of you good people know, I purchased 'The Red Baron' just before Christmas. PeterS and I had a whizz around Oulton Park and managed to spin at the end of the main straight. This lead to us questioning the brakes (ABS pump, sensors etc..). I decided to start by cleaning up sensors and various earthing points in the luggage compartment. So to get started I thought give under the arches a good clean so I could see what I was doing...

After a few hours getting soaked, I was staring to get somewhere.

Some tyre rubbing but it is lower than a snakes belly!
Cleaned all the ABS sensors and that's when it started to get out of hand.
You see, when I reconnected the battery I had an alarm screaming at me from somewhere in the scuttle area. This would be fine if I had a remote control to disarm it :eek: well cutting to the chase I have now removed from the wiring loom 4 separate alarm systems! I guess as each broke an new one was installed leaving the old one too it's own devises...
So I ordered the correct loom tape from Germany and basically spent a month re soldering and replacing quite a large part of the loom. To do this meant taking out the Roll Cage, seats, carpet and a lot of the dash.

Now whilst I was at it I thought maybe I could get the trim modified to remove all the seat belt exits from the rear parcel shelf and rear quarter panels (More of this later).......
Anyway, we were looking at the brakes but got somewhat side tracked :grin: Well the calipers took some time to identify as the faces had been machined off (I guess to make them look more modern). After some considerable effort (Thanks to Boxey, Thomas from Porsche Calipers and a few others on Rennlist) they are now identified as C2 fronts with 993 C4 rears. Anyway I digress...

I removed the said calipers and spent nine hours removing the pad plates!

And bleed nips!
I ended up with a rag tag collection of brakes to go over to the blasters.

Popped them over to a good friend of mine who lives for painting :p

So onto the back plates, handbrake shoes and cables.

The damage from the track spin was next. The front jacking point had been smashed clean off and was embedded into the side skirt. So let's get the welding kit out.

Now fixed and in top coat.
Next was to paint the rear arch which had been rubbed by the tyre during the 'Off'

Then I noticed that the oil thermastat was looking very cruddy.

Now the more I looked the more I saw, so oil tank out

Fortunately no rot behind. So onto removing the crud and paint from the tank.

Right, this as far as I have got at the moment, I have ordered two of the biggest spanners to remove the oil pipes (32 & 36mm Zombie Bashers). If they turn up for the weekend I will be crossing my fingers that I can remove the corroded pipework (They are as rusty as Sponge Bob's door knocker!) and remove the front oil rad as it looks like it's took a bash in the spin. I don't mean to bore anyone, I know a few of the guy's on here are doing something similar, but a few people have wandered where I've been. I will carry on adding to this thread if there is interest. If not I'll carry on quietly bashing at the Barron.
:bye:

Keep posting Chief :thumb:

It's great to see this kind of work being done. If the weather ever improves, I might even tackle mine :floor:

Chief - Keep going :thumb: Some areas of work for me to do as well. The nuts on the oil thermostat must be shite as mine are as rusty as the hinge on Pete's wallet :nooo: I will be replacing those parts as well.

I suspect the spin may be the extra weight of 4 x alarms not being evenly distributed has thrown the car out of balance :dont know:

What the heck did the jack point run into :dont know:

It's a slippery slope but at some point it needs doing! :thumb:

You could ask Pete's mechanic to get on with it :floor:

BTW - Lose the silencer and fit a G-Pipe. You must have the quiestest car on track :wack:

Excellent thread, keep posting.

Absolutely brilliant work so far :thumb: please do keep the reports and pics coming.

I know it's a 964(yawn) having seen it in the flesh so to speak it is quite interesting keep up the good work in you heated decorated garage :grin:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will post more as soon as I've made progress.

Sausage said:
Nice, but begs the question "Do you have too much time on your hands?"

Mark
Mark, you are properly right! :oops:

Zingari said:
You could ask Pete's mechanic to get on with it :floor:

BTW - Lose the silencer and fit a G-Pipe. You must have the quiestest car on track :wack:

Brilliant Brian, as always mate.....poor old Pete :floor:

Re the exhaust, it's de catted and the box across the back has gone.
It's running at 106db !!

I was going to put up a similar thread but it seemed a bit pointless as i was only removing my air filter :grin: .
Nice job Chief , mine is under investigation at the docs at the moment .

Great thread, but doesn't start to do any justice to all the work and hours Chief is putting into this.

His story is only scratching the surface.

This car is going to be the dogs wotsits.

:worship: :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back