Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2012 Race 19 & 20 Brand Hatch

Porsche News

Brands Hatch finale for 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB

Four-way battle for overall runner-up position
Redline Racing and Team Parker Racing battle for teams' title
Will Goff poised to secure Pro-Am2 title

Although Michael Meadows is already confirmed as champion, there is much to play for as the 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB concludes with rounds 19 and 20 on the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit (20/21 October).

To wrap up a superb season of racing, the Carrera Cup heads to Kent for the final weekend and a whole gaggle of drivers will be determined to finish the season with a race win. While Meadows (Redline Racing) clinched the overall title last time out with his sixth win of the season, Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport), Sam Tordoff (Team Parker Racing), Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed), Daniel Lloyd (Team Parker Racing) and Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) have all been race winners this season.

Barker, thanks to a run of five wins on the trot in the late summer, now lies second in the overall points but has Tordoff, Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) and Butcher all within reach of taking second place. Barker goes to Brands with a 16-point advantage over Tordoff but with 30 points covering four drivers and 44 points on offer, the battle to be runner-up it is still wide open.

Of course, Meadows is not about to ease off and would like nothing more than to sign off his championship season with two more wins. 'I want to go out on a high at Brands Hatch," said Meadows. 'We've still got the teams' championship to fight for, which is really important for Redline Racing. Everyone loves the Brands GP circuit and everyone will want to finish the season in style but the pressure is off now the title is won."

The prestigious teams' title has come down to a straight fight between Redline Racing, represented by Meadows and James Sutton, and Team Parker Racing duo Tordoff and Plant. Redline starts the final weekend with a 38-point lead, but with 80 points on offer, it is still wide open.

The next contest to be resolved is the runner-up position in the Pro-Am1 category. Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) won the category title at Silverstone after a superb season and, like his team mate Meadows, will strive to maintain winning form at Brands Hatch. The contest for second is now really between Scots Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) and Derek Pierce (Team Parker Racing), with Mortimer starting the Brands weekend with a ten-point advantage. Still in contention despite a non-finish last time out at Silverstone in Spanish racer Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air).

Things are much more straightforward in Pro-Am2, where Will Goff (Goff Racing) only has to take part in Saturday's qualifying session to be confirmed as champion. Once that formality is complete, Goff can turn his attention to resuming the tremendous battle he had at Silverstone with series returnee Richard Denny (Parr Motorsport).

Attachments

• brands3_133.jpg
    brands3_133.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 19,021
Gelzinis tops Carrera Cup GB qualifying at Brands Hatch

Jonas Gelzinis takes double pole position on the Grand Prix circuit
Ahmad Al Harthy claims Pro-Am1 pole for both races
Will Goff clinches Pro-Am2 title and takes two poles

Jonas Gelzinis was the star of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 20 October) when he claimed two pole positions during a fiercely contested qualifying session for the final two races of the season.

The Lithuanian racer set a mighty pace during a session twice interrupted by red flags to give himself a shot at taking second place in the final championship positions. However, the times were incredibly close and five drivers shared the next five positions, all lapping the Grand Prix circuit within three-tenths of a second of Gelzinis (Juta Racing).

'I had to do that to keep the battle for second open," said Gelzinis. 'There was a lot of pressure, but now we have a chance." Team Parker Racing duo Richard Plant and Sam Tordoff each took a second place, with Plant delighted to have continued his excellent from of Silverstone and Tordoff keeping also himself in the running for championship runner-up. 'That's back where I want to be," said Plant of his strong end to the season.

Third places were shared between Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport). 'That was quite a tough session," said Butcher. 'I went for one last lap on my second set of tyres and it worked." Barker, meanwhile, held both poles early in qualifying but just didn't get a clear run on his second set of tyres and was edged down the order as the session went on.

On the grid for round 19 the top six will be completed by Barker, Tordoff and Michael Meadows (Redline Racing), while on the grid for round 20 the top six is rounded out by Plant, Butcher and Meadows.

A strong late run from Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) clinched Pro-Am1 pole for both races at the expense of Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker). 'We had limited dry running and I knew the time would be in the second set of tyres," said Al Harthy. 'Two poles are very important, especially if it rains tomorrow."

Pierce was disappointed to be edged off the top of Pro-Am1. 'The car was really good and did everything I asked it to do: I just pushed too soon on the second set of tyres," said Pierce. Spaniard Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) bagged third in Pro-Am1 for both races. 'I like Brands Hatch a lot: the Grand Prix loop is very beautiful," said Jimenez.

Goff (Goff Racing) made certain of the Pro-Am2 title simply by starting the session and went on to take Pro-Am2 pole position for both races from Richard Denny (Parr Motorsport). 'I'm pleased with that," said Goff. 'The red flags kind of played into my hands as I was at the end of a run both times."

Round 19 grid:
Pro category: 1 Jonas Gelzinis (1m28.072s); 2 Richard Plant (1m28.174s); 3 Rory Butcher (1m28.186s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m28.942s); 2 Derek Pierce (1m29.398s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m29.503s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff (1m31.223s); 2 Richard Denny (1m32.136s).

Round 20 grid:
Pro category: 1 Jonas Gelzinis (1m28.336s); 2 Sam Tordoff (1m28.423s); 3 Ben Barker (1m28.426s).
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Ahmad Al Harthy (1m29.058s); 2 Derek Pierce (1m29.551s); 3 Victor Jimenez (1m29.593s).
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff (1m31.283s); 2 Richard Denny (1m32.372s).

Attachments

• brands4_445.jpg
    brands4_445.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19,019
Goff secures Pro-Am2 title in Carrera Cup GB

Norfolk-based Will Goff has been confirmed as Pro-Am2 champion in the 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at the conclusion of his first season in the championship. Goff (IN2 Racing) only needed to take part in qualifying at Brands Hatch today (Saturday 20 October) to be finally confirmed as champion.

The 26-year old from Dereham had already scored enough points to see off his Pro-Am2 rivals, but the championship regulations stipulate that drivers need to take part in at least seven race weekends to be eligible for end of season awards. By starting qualifying at Brands Hatch, Goff met that requirement and so was confirmed champion.

'It has been fantastic and I've thoroughly enjoyed it," he said after taking two Pro-Am2 poles in today's qualifying session. 'I did not think when we first arrived at the pre-season test day in March that I would end the season as a category champion in the Carrera Cup, so it has gone far better than I could ever have imagined."

Graduating to the Carrera Cup for 2012 was a big step up the racing ladder and the Pro-Am2 title was his first championship success in six seasons of racing. 'This season was a major jump in the deep end and to win Pro-Am2 is a real tick in the box," said Goff.

'The Carrera Cup is a championship that you can't help but be impressed with. Porsche does everything very well and I'd like to be a part of it again next season. It would be good to start next season carrying on the momentum from this year. The guys at IN2 Racing have done a great job."

Attachments

• brands5_209.jpg
    brands5_209.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19,017
Gelzinis takes Carrera Cup GB victory at Brands Hatch

Jonas Gelzinis dominates round 19 in challenging conditions
Derek Pierce takes superb Pro-Am1 victory
Will Goff wins Pro-Am2 after stirring performance

Jonas Gelzinis scored a brilliant victory in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 21 October) when he mastered tough track conditions to dominate an absorbing race.

While Gelzinis blasted clear on a wet and slippery track to take his first Carrera Cup race win, Sam Tordoff battled through to second as Rory Butcher completed the overall podium. Derek Pierce turned in one of the best drives of the race to take the Pro-Am1 category, while Will Goff had a great race to claim Pro-Am2.

Despite difficult track conditions, Gelzinis (Juta Racing) fired into the lead from pole position and drove a beautifully controlled race to win for the first time in his Carrera Cup GB and keep himself in contention for the runner-up position in the final championship standings. 'If I had finished the season without a win I would have been very disappointed," said the Lithuanian racer. 'We set the car up for a drying track and the conditions were perfect for our set-up," said a jubilant Gelzinis.

While Gelzinis pulled clear at up to a second a lap, there was some tremendous battling over the other podium places as Sam Tordoff fought ahead of his Team Parker Racing team mate Richard Plant to take third and then set about chasing second placed Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed). In a tight run past the pits, Tordoff dived down the inside into Paddock Hill Bend to take second only to lose it back again and then get ahead for good under braking for Surtees.

'I did what I had to do and just kept working forwards," said Tordoff after taking second place. Butcher held off the closing Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Parker) for third. 'That was tough: the car went off a bit over the second half and Dan had better pace then me later on," said Butcher. Lloyd drove a great race to take fourth from seventh on the grid, battling ahead of Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) in the process, while Andy Meyrick (Team Parker Racing) battled through to sixth and finished close behind Barker.

Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) was the star of Pro-Am1 with one of the best drives of the season. He had to overhaul class rival Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) as well as Pro racers Michael Meadows and James Sutton (Redline Racing) on his way to eighth overall. 'That's the best podium I've ever had," said Pierce. 'It was a superb race and the car was amazing." Al Harthy took second in Pro-Am1 with team mate Victor Jimenez third.

Up among the Pro-Am1 pack for much of the race was Pro-Am2 winner Goff (Goff Racing) after the best drive of his career to date. He then slid off the road at Surtees and briefly lost the class lead to Richard Denny (Parr Motorsport) but Goff went back ahead when Denny had his third spin of the race. 'I loved that," said Goff. 'But at Surtees I hit the brakes at the same point as before and off it went."

Round 19 results:
Pro category: 1 Jonas Gelzinis; 2 Sam Tordoff; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 2 Derek Pierce; 2 Ahmad Al Harthy; 3 Victor Jimenez
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Richard Denny.

Tordoff takes final Carrera Cup GB round at Brands Hatch

Sam Tordoff masters the conditions to win round 20
Victor Jimenez takes Pro-Am1 victory
Will Goff completes Pro-Am2 double

In some of the toughest conditions experienced in the 10-year history of the championship, Sam Tordoff drove a superb race to win the final round of the 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 21 October).

While Tordoff (Team Parker Racing) shot ahead from the start to control the race from the front, Ben Barker (Parr Motorsport) battled home second to secure the runner-up position in the final standings. Victor Jimenez (Redline/Oman Air) drove a fine race to win Pro-Am1 while Will Goff (Goff Racing) completed a double win in Pro-Am2.

Track conditions were truly challenging as the pack lined up for the 20th and final race of the season and visibility was very limited as clouds of spray were thrown up around the Brands Hatch Grand Prix circuit. 'I got the best start and I was able to get away," said Tordoff, who was the only driver with a clear view over the opening laps. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) slotted into second place, but was soon under attack from Barker and the place changed under braking for Surtees on the lap two.

Three laps later, with Rory Butcher (Celtic Speed) and Daniel Lloyd (JD Pierce with Team Parker) on his tail, Gelzinis slid off at Surtees and dropped well down the order. While Tordoff and Barker consolidated their positions Lloyd tigered ahead of Butcher and set off after second-placed Barker. Lloyd set the fastest lap of the race, but then also slid off at Surtees and dropped to sixth behind Richard Plant (Team Parker Racing) and James Sutton (Redline Racing).

Tordoff turned in a faultless drive to wrap up his season with a win. 'I just got my head down and Gelzinis helped me get clear," said Tordoff. Barker, too, raced well to second place. 'That was really tough out there," he said after staying clear of Butcher and Plant, while Lloyd regained fifth with a bold move around the outside of Sutton at Sheene Curve. 'You couldn't see a thing: it was like driving into a wall," said Butcher. 'That's a good way to finish the season," said Lloyd. Tordoff took third in the final standings as Gelzinis battled home in tenth place to end the season fourth.

In Pro-Am1, Jimenez drove superbly under constant pressure as Ahmad Al Harthy (Redline/Oman Air) and Derek Pierce (JD Pierce with Team Parker) challenged relentlessly. Al Harthy then spun at Surtees and later spun out of the race at Paddock after clipping the back of Oly Mortimer (GT Marques). Pierce then took up the challenge on Jimenez, but the Spanish racer held on for a deserved win by eight-tenths of a second. 'That was very, very tough with the spray," said Jimenez. Oly Mortimer (GT Marques) took third place, but lost second in the final standings to Pierce on a tie-break.

In Pro-Am2, Goff got a poor start, but worked ahead of category rival Richard Denny (Parr Motorsport) to take his second win of the day. Goff's progress was aided when Denny had a mid-race spin.

Round 20 results:
Pro category: 1 Sam Tordoff; 2 Ben Barker; 3 Rory Butcher.
Pro-Am1 category: 1 Victor Jimenez; 2 Derek Pierce; 3 Oly Mortimer.
Pro-Am2 category: 1 Will Goff; 2 Richard Denny

Attachments

• brands6_171.jpg
    brands6_171.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 19,013
Redline Racing wins team title in 2012 Carrera Cup GB

Redline Racing secured the coveted teams' championship title in the 2012 Porsche Carrera Cup GB during the final race of the season at Brands Hatch today (Sunday 21 October).

The team, headed by Simon Leonard, scored team points with Michael Meadows and the car raced by Glynn Geddie and then James Sutton this season. To win the title, the Redline squad saw off the challenge of old adversaries Team Parker Racing, represented by Sam Tordoff and Richard Plant and just eight points split the teams after 20 races.

This was the fifth team title in 10 years for the Cleveland-based Redline team, which had previously won the crown in 2004, 2007, 2009 and 2011. Already this season, Redline had won the overall drivers and Pro-Am1 drivers' titles with Michael Meadows and Ahmad Al Harthy. With a championship total of 72 wins, Redline remains the most successful team in the Carrera Cup GB.

'We made hard work of it at the final race weekend, but we got there," said Leonard. 'It has been tough as there are some very good teams in the Carrera Cup. Team Parker Racing has been here a long time and gave us a run for our money. We led it from the start, so we wanted to keep it going until the last weekend.

Leonard paid tribute to the effort put in by all his team members. 'The guys are fantastic: I've got some great guys with me and they make it happen. The Carrera Cup is a brilliant championship and we want to be part of it for another 10 years. We'll be back next year to defend the title."

Team Parker Racing, team champions in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2008 finished runner-up, while third place was taken by Parr Motorsport where Ben Barker was the key points' scorer.

Attachments

• brands7_558.jpg
    brands7_558.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 19,011

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back