Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To 'tracker' or not to 'tracker' . . . . ?

lofi

Barcelona
I'm in the process of getting quotes for Insurance on a 996 C4s. In the paperwork with the car I noticed that it has a Trackstar certificate. I have no idea yet whether the tracker still works but assuming it can the subscription appears to be £147 a year (or £133 if you buy 3 years up front).

Best Insurance quote is £172 cheaper with the tracker. So all in all in year one only a £30 saving overall and no guarantee that type of discount will stay over three years.

I may have answered my own question, i.e. it isn't worth it (do I want the joy ridden car back anyway?) but does anyone have any views on this?

I'd say unless it is mandatory to get the Insurance, or the savings are great: No.

There may also be a reactivation charge too. I would only consider a tracker if you really wanted to increase your chances of recovery should your car be stolen. The financial incentive alone as far as Insurance premiums are concerned seem pretty negligible...

Would you really wont your car back after days of abuse or even hours after it had been stolen? . I don't like the idea or though in the past I have been forced to activate various trackers on some cars.
I do also have my doubts on the capability or interest the police would show on a tracked cars theft.

Thanks all - confirmed as a no.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back