Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Evo Mag, Drives New Porsche 911 (991) Carrera 4S in Austria

I saw this feature in the latest issue of the magazine and personally I think the C4S is the best-looking 991 I've seen yet. Maybe it was just the colour of the one they used for the test but it looked stunning I thought... 8)

Very interesting.... The 4S has better steering than the 2S because of the 4WD. By that logic the 4S will have more feel than the 991 GT3 steering, which will obviously lack the 4WD which provides this 'extra' feel. Strange world...

Not for the first time, but I would consider it probably more significantly dependent on the increased weight over the front wheels too.

Regarding even the 991's predeccessor's fundamental chassis characteristics and the AWD variants' better (closer to 50:50) weight distribution and slightly more weight over the front hence mitigating some of the over-lightness and floaty/bobbing front end inherent in 911.

Additionally with the AWD's stronger front chassis and suspension structures (shared with the forthcoming GT3, as with all previous GT3 models), the front is more torsionally rigid than the C2/C2S and hence more consistently helmed in the right direction.

The fact the drive is effectively in "coast" at 5% torque for all but the times the rears spin and lose traction, means there isn't really any drive to the front for most drivers' experience.

Here is Autocar's take on the 996:

4 SURE - 911 Carrera 4

• All wheel drive doesn't just give Porsche's newest 911 extra stability and safety - it also boosts driver involvement. Peter Robinson reports.
Your fingers convey the information the instant you turn the wheel. The steering is heavier, meatier, less sensitive. Not much, but enough of a difference to be immediately discernible to hands acquainted with the rear-drive Carrera.

The distinctions grew the longer we played with the Carrera 4 on the wonderfully demanding roads surrounding Porsche's Weissach proving ground. A bit more steering lock, a sense of mild understeer in a second-gear hairpin. Extra steering effort as increasing lateral forces amplify steering loads through a fourth-gear sweeper. A fraction less self-centring. Finally - and prepare for the ongoing arguments - a perception that this steering is actually more involving than that of the Carrera 2.
It takes no more than a couple of corners to fall in love with the C4. It's a normal 911, only better. More stable, especially at the high speeds the Carrera so quickly attains, less nervous in strong crosswinds, and even more consistent in its dynamics. At first it seems slightly less agile, because wheel movements are bigger, but experience reveals that its handling is actually more neutral, less oversteery.

Experimentation with the PSM reveals that the C4 responds to a smooth driving style and minimises the need for driver reactions, making it more relaxing to drive than the C2, not least a very high speeds on the autobahn.
All the driver understands is that the nose is less prone to pushing wide. The engine management system is set up so that if you lift off suddenly in a bend, a degree of torque is maintained to smooth out the weight transfer and reduce the car's reactions. It all makes for a supercar that is as failsafe as any, yet remains fun to drive quickly, the electronics doing their job so unobtrusive that most drivers won't even notice, unless they attack corners with arms flailing. Even then, it's effectively impossible to throw the C4 off balance, though not even the C4 can defy the laws of physics.
The choice between C2 and C4 remains as complex as ever. The C4 is undoubtedly the more talented car, exuding an invincible air that many will find irresistible.

.....you absolutely could not drive on the snow with a 996/997 C4S like that. Respect to the 991's new 4WD system :thumb:

wizard993 said:
.....you absolutely could not drive on the snow with a 996/997 C4S like that. Respect to the 991's new 4WD system :thumb:

I think GT4 should demo his 993 C4's abilities in the snow :D

("What!? Drive my car?? Drive it in the SNOW?? Where there might be SALT?? And more SNOW? DRIVE my car??? WHAT????? HELLLLOOOOO?? WTF??")
:floor:

GT4 said:
Here is Autocar's take on the 996:

<snip>
If I had a pound for every time you've posted that Autocar article...!! :hand:

If I had a pound for every time some one asked about [fill in any number of repetitive questions]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back