Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Installing 997 airbox in a 996

pj_sibley

Montreal
For anyone considering doing this, I can confirm that it's well worth it and relatively straightforward to install :thumb:

I managed to pick up a genuine 997 airbox on eBay for about half the Porsche RRP, complete with nice shiny plate printed with 'Porsche 3.6'. I also bought a BMC panel filter to replace the standard paper item.

Owning a Tiptronic, I was mindful of the gearbox breather pipe, which connects to the intake pipe between the airbox and the throttle body. I struggled to find a 'cold air' intake pipe that would accommodate this feature. However, I was still keen to block off the resonator box / bypass pipe to generate a bit more noise under load. So, using the plastic cap supplied with the 997 airbox(!), I blocked the port into the resonator box (on top of the airbox) and simply clamped the bypass pipe on top of it. This meant I could retain the OE intake pipe and gearbox breather.

The 997 airbox sits nicely in the 996 engine compartment, using the same base mounting points and rear fixing. It certainly looks a lot better than the 996 item, although is functionally very similar I expect. You have to swap the 997 feed pipe (sits beneath the boot lid and enters the side of the airbox) for the 996 item, in order to get it sitting correctly next to the auxiliary air pump on the left side of the engine compartment, but this is a straight swap.

As for the noise - it's definitely louder / deeper than stock above 4k RPM and at WOT, sounds just about perfect to me! Can't say I noticed much in terms of throttle response improvement, just feels as sharp and smooth as ever.

The 997 airbox when it arrived, clearly showing the resonator box port on top of the airbox housing:

20121219_084107.jpg

Plastic cap sitting in the bypass pipe opening of the stock intake pipe (can also see the gearbox breather connection I wanted to retain):

20121223_152839.jpg

BMC air filter, fits perfectly in the 997 airbox housing:

20121222_165418.jpg

The result, a great looking 997 airbox in the engine compartment of a 996. Sounds good too!

20121223_121946.jpg

Engine looks much nicer...Good little Mod IMO :thumb:

Its definitely a great improvement over the 996 version. I want to do this mod as well but despite looking on eBay regularly I never seem to be able to find a suitable 997 air box for sale. There seems to be 3.8 ones from time to time but cant recall ever seeing a 3.6 one.

If anyone has one that they wouldn't mind parting with then give me a shout. :thumb:

Hi. Did mine a couple of weeks ago really easy as described but as I have a manual fitted the black SFS pipe and the ally bung from design911. Didn't really notice much change in the sound as have PSE. But really looks much nicer. Also spent a lot of time removing the glued in resonator box from the inside to allow more air volume (pia job) and don't really know what difference it made. :D :D

Hi. Forgot to ask, how did you attach the oil filler neck to the airbox??? :?:

Simply clipped it in place using the fitting provided on the 997 airbox. Fits absolutely fine!

Nice job, definitely looks better than the old 996 one. Will have to look on eBay for a replacement.

Thread revival.

There's currently a 997 airbox available on eBay if anyone's interested in doing this mod. They don't come up very often!

Ebay link

will this work on a 3.4 ? looks very nice

Yes, the airbox design is shared between (996) 3.4 and 3.6.

And the 997 3.6 is the same engine (basically) and hence if the 997 3.6 airbox fits in the 996 3.6 it also fits in the 3.4

(only the airbox external aesthetics changed between 996 and 997)

Are these airboxes for the Carrera 2 & 4 the same as those fitted in a turbo?

No, Turbo and GT3 (Mezgers) get their own design.

pj_sibley said:
The 997 airbox when it arrived, clearly showing the resonator box port on top of the airbox housing:

20121219_084107.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread to ask an obscure sounding question about the 997 air box if you can remember that far back! I have a ramair silicon intake hose and resonator bung (along with a k&n panel filter) on order, but have read that in addition to blocking off the resonator from the airway, it's worth removing the resonator altogether in order to free up more of the surface of the filter.

Therefore, can you remember if on the 997 air box the resonator port you mention is in fact a "neck" which is part of the top of the airbox or is it part of the resonator itself which is simply protruding through a hole on the top of the air box?

Reason I ask is if it's a neck on the top of the airbox I will be able to plonk the bung on that, but if it's the resonator poking through a hole and I remove the resonator, I'll need to find a way to seal the hole that's left. Thanks!

Genuinely not sure but I can have a closer look for you at the weekend!!

No worries, apparently the resonator is part of the top half 997 air-box, so unlike the 996 it can't be taken out (unless it is cut out) in any case, so I'll just use the bung rather than do that. You still happy with yours?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back