Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo Merzger engine to be future classic?

kench said:
I came across this article stating how good the components are in the 997.1 turbo. Do you guys reckon it will be a classic in 10yrs time?

I suspect not as I think Porsche made the 997.1 turbo in the tens of thousands....

And the 997.2 Turbo in hundreds of thousands!

~ Maxie :grin:

Porsche News said:
we are getting some news in about the future of the 997TT from a reliable source...

Sorry, is that sarcasm? My sarcasm radar is offline?

There is no future for 997TT, it will be superseded by the 991TT (or TTT)?

I thought they dropped the Tiptronic with the 997.1, so shouldn't a non manual 997.2 be called a TP rather than a TT? :grin:

MC

MisterCorn said:
I thought they dropped the Tiptronic with the 997.1, so shouldn't a non manual 997.2 be called a TP rather than a TT? :grin:

MC

MC, I thought the TT in 997TT refers to Twin Turbo and not the transmission?

I could be wrong? :?:

...its already a "classic"

The engine block of the 996/997 Turbo and GT engines goes back to the air-cooled cars(inc the racers)

In std form the block was good for 600BHP.....+20 years ago!

Various top end, FI and turbo charging improvements of course but the bottom-end changed little.

wizard993 said:
...its already a "classic"

The engine block of the 996/997 Turbo and GT engines goes back to the air-cooled cars(inc the racers)

In std form the block was good for 600BHP.....+20 years ago!

Various top end, FI and turbo charging improvements of course but the bottom-end changed little.

If it is a classic, why are the 996TT taking such a hammering when they have the same engines?

996TTs will eventually bunch up around £20k, 997TT at £30k. I was going to go for the 996TT originally, but for an extra 15k-ish it was worthit as I believe Porsche didn't let the accountants loose on the 997TT.

Maxie said:
kench said:
I came across this article stating how good the components are in the 997.1 turbo. Do you guys reckon it will be a classic in 10yrs time?

I suspect not as I think Porsche made the 997.1 turbo in the tens of thousands....

And the 997.2 Turbo in hundreds of thousands!

~ Maxie :grin:

No way, are there any place where we can get figures of the 997TT sales figures?

Too many made to ever be a classic IMHO. They're more like white goods now, even the flashier stuff like a 360 is peanuts and disposable.

996 tubbies are already 10 years old, and far from being classics despite the engine.

TBH, whilst the production numbers might limit the 997 TT's status as a true classic, the engine definitely does qualify for classic status IMHO....

The 997 Turbo really is a complete package too, it's really tempting to pick one up for sensible money and take it to DMS for a mild fettle...

Ekona said:
Too many made to ever be a classic IMHO. They're more like white goods now, even the flashier stuff like a 360 is peanuts and disposable.

996 tubbies are already 10 years old, and far from being classics despite the engine.

I totally agree, although it hurts to say it as a owner of one, these cars will never make it to classic status, maybe after 25years. The bog standard 911s (996/997) will not be worth much, perhaps the limited edition ones GTs, but not the TTs.

Richyd said:
TBH, whilst the production numbers might limit the 997 TT's status as a true classic, the engine definitely does qualify for classic status IMHO....

The 997 Turbo really is a complete package too, it's really tempting to pick one up for sensible money and take it to DMS for a mild fettle...

I would hold on to your 993...... they're great cars and they will only appreciate in value over the years.

Please stop calling it a TT. Audi make a TT, Porsche make a Turbo, if you want to be lazy and can't be bothered to type 996 turbo or 997 turbo then I'll settle for 996T or 997T (begrudgingly), but not TT.

Thanks, I feel better now.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Please stop calling it a TT. Audi make a TT, Porsche make a Turbo, if you want to be lazy and can't be bothered to type 996 turbo or 997 turbo then I'll settle for 996T or 997T (begrudgingly), but not TT.

Thanks, I feel better now.

MC

lol, ok ok 997T :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back