Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Son nearly 17 - First car/insurance

nickt68

Trainee
Hi All

My son is going to be 17 in November and we started having a quick look online at cars and Insurance. Got a quote the other day from Compare the Market on a Mini One (2002, value £3500, fully comp, plus me as a named driver) for £3500!!!!

Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice on most insurable first cars and how to get a sensibly priced Insurance policy? I know that Insurance costs for new drivers is expensive but surely if they are anything like we have been quoted there wouldn't be any (legal) new drivers on the road!

The Mini was a fictitious car that my son (and my wife!) liked but completely open to ideas - just want something safe, reliable and economical to run.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

imo it's best to start a young driver off as early as possible by taking out a policy in their name. Premiums can be reduced by naming as many other drivers of the car as possible. In your case get yourself and your missus as named drivers.

Be prepared for an increase in the premium when your son passes his test. Whilst this seems strange at first it is logical. Whilst he is a learner his driving will be supervised. Once he passes his test .............

Hopefully he'll build up a history of no claims and reap the rewards as he gets older and more experienced.

Regarding the 'best' cars to start with iirc the cheapest to insure are the ones that cost least to repair and/or the ones that are least likely to be nicked. Again, iirc, a Skoda Fabia is relatively cheap and a SmartCar is surprisingly expensive.

Posh first car!, my first car had a vinyl roof and came with a tub of filler...

We might be selling a Saxo Desire 1.1 around that time, owned from new, CD, sunroof, electric windows, fogs, all factory fitted, '02 plate. 60,000 miles, £750.

What's the Insurance on something like that?
:)

Thanks guys and Clarkycat will get a quote on a Saxo and let you know - thanks.

This is bl**dy crazy - quote for Clarkycat's car - TPF&T, me and wife as named drivers (mid 40's max NCB), live in low risk area £4431 to £8k++

Do you reckon they don't really want our business :sad:

Play around with different cars, and try some of the more obscure ones that aren't like by kids (maybe Hyundai's, Kia's and Daweoo's) and see if that helps bring it down...... :dont know:

nickt68 said:
This is bl**dy crazy - quote for Clarkycat's car - TPF&T, me and wife as named drivers (mid 40's max NCB), live in low risk area £4431 to £8k++

Ridiculous as it sounds you may find that a quote for Fully Comp is cheaper.

When ringing round to get a quote for my daily drive Nissan Primera (worth £800 max) I thought TPF&T would be the way to go but many didn't even want to quote for anything other than FComp.

Apparently ........... If you only go for TPF&T cover it can be thought that you may also be cutting corners on the maintainance of your own car thus making it a bigger risk. Historically some policy holders may even have had their poorly maintained cars coincidentally 'set on fire' or 'stolen' at around the same time that their engines finally expired.

T8996C4 said:
nickt68 said:

Ridiculous as it sounds you may find that a quote for Fully Comp is cheaper.

When ringing round to get a quote for my daily drive Nissan Primera (worth £800 max) I thought TPF&T would be the way to go but many didn't even want to quote for anything other than FComp.

Apparently ........... If you only go for TPF&T cover it can be thought that you may also be cutting corners on the maintainance of your own car thus making it a bigger risk. Historically some policy holders may even have had their poorly maintained cars coincidentally 'set on fire' or 'stolen' at around the same time that their engines finally expired.

Thanks T899, have tried fully comp but that went up to just under £5k....!

I appreciate that getting his own NCD is very important, but it may be more practical to insure him as a named driver on your policy until he has a few years driving experience? I drove on my Dad's policy until I was 21 and finally in a position to buy my own car - even back then the Insurance was more than 50% of the value of the car...

Just in the process of doing this myself :roll:

My son was 17 a fortnight ago and has a 2003 Golf Match 1.4

Via Comparethemarket etc, premiums quoted are £4,500+ in his name.

having had few months to discuss this a million times, the conclusion is that we will today be insuring via a friend of mine who has an Insurance brokers. The policy is a special Aviva young drivers scheme: Marmalade.

Step 1 is insure it in my name (I'm nearly 50) at £600pa ! ouch plus £81pcm to add him as a provisional driver
Step 2 is when he has passed - maybe end of October?. premium then goes up to £2,900pa :sad:

The downside is that he doesn't earn any NCB - which may or may not be the case!
The £600 isn't cheap but that's the way they tie you in i guess
If he has a prang then the NCB only on this policy is affected as he is the main user
He is paying his own premiums from next September so has an incentive to behave himself....nice theory!

Not ideal for the young drivers - but we all know the reasons why the underwriters don't like them :lol:

Over the last 6 months, he has quoted many many cars and the only type that seems to be cheaper is early '80's Golfs - but then you don't get airbags etc....

everyone today wants a new car with safety features,

years ago we bought the cheapest thing we could get

keep it old and cheap

chimp911 said:
I appreciate that getting his own NCD is very important, but it may be more practical to insure him as a named driver on your policy until he has a few years driving experience? I drove on my Dad's policy until I was 21 and finally in a position to buy my own car - even back then the Insurance was more than 50% of the value of the car...

Beware.

I believe this is illegal as the policy has to be in the name of the main driver. If the policy is for him and its his car then he has to be main driver. Many companies are wising up to this and may persue if any claims are made.

If he searches comparison sites for a quote then lo and behold the same car is insured in Dads name with him named they will know!

Yes you are correct, but in my case my Dad genuinely was the main driver and I only got the occasional look-in...:sad:

If you are buying a car for your son and he will be the main driver then attempting this approach will likely get you into bother...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back