Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 1st 911...... So many choices!?!?!?

15delux

Hi all, I'm new to the world of the watercooled Porsche, done a lot with vw's and older 911's in the past....

So I have about 25k to spend, do I go carerra 2, 4, 4S or turbo?? I have read the issues of engine failure lean towards the 3.4 not saying the 3.6 is immune but the turbo didn't seem to suffer...

I've been looking for a few weeks and see the c2 starts around £13k for a decent low miles and the turbos start at £25k for a 2000ish model.

Apart from the obvious engine difference what else is there?? I was leaning towards the C4S then saw a couple of turbos.... I'm not really fussed on the speed but more reliability and running costs.

Any advice or experiences on this would be gratefully appreciated as the money is now starting to burn a hole and I don't want to just buy any old shed cos it looks nice.

Thanks in advance

Welcome , u will enjoy the forum

:bandit: :bandit: hi 15delux , Welcome , take your time . i have a Porsche Carrera S , manual , coupe . It's been perfect for me . Good Hunting . Cuba :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Attachments

• welcome_145.gif
    welcome_145.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 7,486
The C4S is probably the looker of the 996 family IMHO, but tastes vary. Faults with the whole family are relatively rare compared to most other performance cars, but there are a couple of things to be aware of, the IMS bearing is worth replacing if you ever need to replace the Rear Main Seal (which can leak) or the clutch (if fitted) with a ceramic unit for peace of mind.

The Turbo is probably less likely to explode, but more likely to consume fuel. Equally pretty to the C4S, but in a more aggressive kind of way.

Either is a great car to own, I have a C4s and do eye up the Turbo from time to time but very happy with what I have.

You also have convertible and Targa options to consider (but no Targa for the C4S or Turbo) in the 996 family, and again IMHO I think a high spec'd Targa could be a rare and valuable car in the future, they are also great cruising Porsches... As are the convertibles.

Get a well specked Carrera 2S.

Unless you are a wide bodied fan, but for me it's two wheel drive all the way.

And manual.

And PSE!

£25k is a nice budget to have :thumb: . Assuming that you are talking about 996s the only car on your list that would need you to spend all of it on is the Turbo.

If you went for any of the other cars not only would you be able to pick up the newest, highest spec available you'd still have a decent fund for fettling it over the next few months.

If you're keen to spend the whole sum there's some nice 997s around.

In your position, albeit after having a C4 for the last 3 years, I'd try for the best Turbo I could find and worry about the extra costs of fettling and running it at a later date.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

PeterS said:
Get a well specked Carrera 2S.

Unless you are a wide bodied fan, but for me it's two wheel drive all the way.

And manual.

And PSE!

997 C2S for me as well. There are a LOT around at the £25k price point (private sales) that look like great cars for the money... :thumb:

Hi welcome to the forum :thumbs: As others have said, you have a wide range of cars at your disposal with your budget. Don't overlook the 993's as well. You're less likely to lose in terms of depreciation if you chose that model.

For me, I'd include in my search:

- 993 C2
- 993 C4
- 996 C4S with X51 powerkit (very rare)
- 996 40 Jahre Anniversary Edition (includes X51 power kit as standard)
- 996 Turbo
- 996 Turbo X50 powerkit (though these may be just above your budget)
- 997 early C2S with X51 powerkit (very rare)

Happy hunting!

~ Maxie :)

Maxie said:
Don't overlook the 993's as well.

But Maxie , he already said "I don't want to buy any old shed just cos it looks nice"

:grin:

I have just been through the process and bought a 996 Turbo with X50 which will be outside your budget. But I can tell you, my mind was made up after driving a 4S tip and my car the 996 Turbo Manual with X50. I knew right away that it had to be the Turbo and increased my budget and created a reserve fund for work to put it all right - there is a good chance that after you get over the lust ogling at the shiny side up and that rear-end view, when you put it up on a ramp with a PPI it will need work doing to it - some of it might be right away, some might be within the next 12 months when you hit the annual service. I became paranoid reading all the problems on the non-turbo models. But let me highlight that the turbo is not bulletproof in the absolute sense but only in a relative sense. It is not a car to purcahse with a shoestring budget - costs to put things right are high and the engine drives a lot of power that can take its toll on suspension, transmission, it runs hot and the rads and condensers are located in an area that means they are subject to debris. Tyresbrakes and discs all take a heavy toll. But at the end of the day the choice is yours. I firmly believe in bazhart (Martech) analogy that these cars have peaks and troughs of expense. They may be being sold because of impensing bills and work needed. After all, if I had just paid a shed load of money to oput things right, why would I be selling it? There are always exceptions such as the guy who has to sell cos he's emigrating etc. My final piece is to always go for a PPI no matter who you are buying from and in the age of the vehicle scrutinise the warranty very closely. Hope these comments help and good luck.

Thanks for all the info. I've now sold my range rover and and on the hunt.... Ive narrowed my search down to a 996 c4s or a 997 c2s I haven't really researched the 997's but do they have the same issues as the 996's

15delux said:
Thanks for all the info. I've now sold my range rover and and on the hunt.... Ive narrowed my search down to a 996 c4s or a 997 c2s I haven't really researched the 997's but do they have the same issues as the 996's

Sadly ,yep :sad:

Keep things in perspective though. An awful lot were made and only a small % have major problems.

I seem to remember there was a very pretty looking Black C2(S?) in the classifieds here quite recently (Black, black wheels, aerokit). I'm sure the last-ish post on the thread said £25995 or thereabouts.....I thought it was a terrific looking car for the money!

Scrub that last post! Just searched for the post & it looks like it was sold a few days ago!

Marky72 said:
I seem to remember there was a very pretty looking Black C2(S?) in the classifieds here quite recently (Black, black wheels, aerokit). I'm sure the last-ish post on the thread said £25995 or thereabouts.....I thought it was a terrific looking car for the money!

This one >> http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=75590&highlight=

Just sold but shows what's out there. You can save yourself an awful lot of money by buying one that's already got the kit fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back