Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My blue C2 964 rebuild thread

PeterS

I've bought a baltic blue 964 nicely run in with 159,000 miles.

It has just been serviced by NiceExcellence and gone in to have a noisy tappet sorted and oil leaks sorted.

The car is oozing oil from every hole.

I have taken it to several indys for opinions and quotes, and to see where I should get it fixed.

My local indy is a chap called Martin Brown next to Shirleys Garage in Meriden, who I called on first. The problem is, being a one man band, it will take longer.

I also tried RSR Autotech in Bromsgrove on recommendation by Clinchy, and finally settled on Zentrum in Nottingham, recommended Big 'Un, and there is a nice thread on here of his rebuild. Cunno and Mistercorn also confirmed they were decent, and my car was booked in for 30 July, scheduled for 2 weeks.

On an early morning breakfast run on Sunday morning we passed a 4x4 driver who recognised the car, and had been negotiating to buy it.

He said that there was one chap who is the undisputed king of building 964s, a bloke called Martin, in Meriden!

So after a further chat with Martin I have decided it is he who will be doing the job. There will be a few mods and updates on the way too, to make it a bit more special.

It will take longer than Zentrum, (looking at a month) and possibly cost more, but as he is my local indy and has done work for me before, that's the choice I have made.

As a side-note, whilst on the breakfast run with Sausage and Adam2712, my wife commented that you dont get the "kick in the back" with the 964 that you do with the 996. Lets just wait and see!

I will be posting updates and pics as we go.

Good luck with the rebuild and I'll be watching out for your posts :popcorn:

I haven't posted on this as my indie is busy and have been waiting for work to commence.

However last week it was engine out, and we first found the true state of things.

It has been well and truly bodged on the past.

However upon stripping the news is even worse.

3 barrel studs were broken, the rocker shaft bolt had been repaired by being welded(!) a far greater job then just replacing the bolt.

The cam/ rocker carrier was loose and it has damaged the camshaft (or housing, the phone call became a blur!)

The crank bearings are on their last fragments plus a load of other stuff.

I am visiting it in intensive care tomorrow, when I will know more.

:eek: ... And yet you managed to do Le Mans Classic in this car I think? Lucky nothing went wrong on that trip

Sorry to hear so much work is required - at least once it's sorted you'll have yourself one blinder of a motor!

yes, 1000 miles, a bit of smoke out the back (well, a big bit!, but kept topping it up) and drove it round a bit afterwards too, a bit of daily use, plus driving it round various places for opinions.

It had a noise that sounded like a noisy tappet, but that was supposed to have been sorted before I bought it.

No wonder adjusting the tappet didn't sort it. I will know more when I see it tomorrow.

Loads of other brackets / bolts / bits bodged too, so this is just a continuation on a theme.

It will be sorted though.

PeterS said:
I haven't posted on this as my indie is busy and have been waiting for work to commence.

However last week it was engine out, and we first found the true state of things.

It has been well and truly bodged on the past.

However upon stripping the news is even worse.

3 barrel studs were broken, the rocker shaft bolt had been repaired by being welded(!) a far greater job then just replacing the bolt.

The cam/ rocker carrier was loose and it has damaged the camshaft (or housing, the phone call became a blur!)

The crank bearings are on their last fragments plus a load of other stuff.

I am visiting it in intensive care tomorrow, when I will know more.

Wow that is quite a bit of damage to rectify - I hope you got the car for cheap... Did you do a PPI?

So what are you thinking - standard full rebuild with cup cams (since your cam is damaged) and a remap?

What condition are the barrels, pistons and con rods? Hopefully no damage to the crank shaft otherwise you're really into serious ££££!

Its not the end of the world as you would have replaced the head studs anyway and a good replacement cam carrier will be fairly cheap I would think. So long as the Piston/Cylinders and the crank are serviceable then it will be a straight rebuild with the few extra's eluded to earlier. It will certainly give the wife a shove in the back when its done! :thumbs:

There is slight scoring, he is saying just rings is borderline but new pistons may be required.

I. Will look for myself tomorrow.

In reality I know it's going to be new pistons, but then you always think..... Hey 3.8?

I'll know more in a day or so.

All those going to the Midlands Meet will get the news hot off the press as I'm going straight there afterwards.

You could always stick a 993 lump in it :)

Why a 993 engine :?: As for 3.8 it is a whole lot of cash for little benefit.

ras62 said:
Why a 993 engine ? As for 3.8 it is a whole lot of cash for little benefit.

993 engine - cheaper than a rebuild. Has been done to great effect. Although it's another gamble on another engine. The car will no longer have matching numbers.

3.8 - torque values are higher. Which depending on preference can be preferable. If the OP needs new barrels and pistons the price jump between 3.6 and 3.8 is worth considering.

I personally would not consider 're-skimming' cams - I would replace. If the OP sticks with the intake manifold he has I would consider cup cams and a remap.

Possibly upgrade (if early 964) to the plastic manifold and consider a HotFilm/ MAF conversion.

Besides all these possible decisions are only worth considering once the full diagnosis is complete and the budget is considered...

gary.donald said:
You could always stick a 993 lump in it :)

And then bolt a turbo on it before you stick back in :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back