Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 or 996?

yorkyboy69

I know you guys will be biased but i would like a 964 and my wife wants a 996! Which is better? Honest opinions would be gratefully recieved. Personaly i think the looks of the 964 cant be beaten but we are looking at every aspect from running costs to reliability. Many thanks for any advice

I was in the same position and even drove a couple of 996's but common sense prevailed and I won.

Two years on and I still love my 964. Stick with your gut feeling, the 964 is wonderful car to drive and offers a taste of the old with enough modern touches to not be a pain in everyday use.

Running costs aren't too bad but it is a Porsche and sadly parts are not always cheap to buy. Insurance isn't bad.

Thomas

How much are you looking to spend? Everyday car or weekend toy?

MC

Honest reply coming up !
I have only had and still have a 964 but have driven a 996 , got my 64 two years ago , it had 130000 miles on the clock well serviced without a rebuild but had a new clutch and fly wheel at 100000 miles , i have put 35000 miles on it in two years , its never failed in any way what so ever , oil pressure and compression all still good use it "every" day, it is ultra usable and reliable.
They are know to leak oil but these problems should have been sorted out years ago if you buy one.
Servicing costs i think are slightly higher than a 996, i have spoke to a few people who have gone from the 996 to the 964 but none that went 964 to 996 although the 996 is still a beautiful car to look at , i had good drive of one and it was not at all like a 964 , still a lovely solid 911 but closer to a everyday car than the 64 somehow a totally different experience .
The 964 just has more connection to the road, more heart & soul, air cooled , sounds and smell , you just cant beat looking out over those torpedo wings, for me anyway more of a drivers car but each to there own , you MUST have a good drive of both.
no offence 996 drivers , we all have our faves :bye:

I have a 997 but I love the look of 964's ,lots of good advice / points above .Budget, running costs ,daily driver ? etc. Hope your final choice turns out ok for you. :thumb:

If the car has to be used on a daily basis as a means of transport then get the 996. Its much more modern and far easier to get on with. Simple things like functioning air con or the demister etc will bug you in a 964 if you "have" to use it daily.

If on the other hand the car is a weekend toy to be used simply as a "going for a drive" kind of car then the 964 is by far the better option. 964 feels so much more special and more of an event to drive BUT will get you down if you have to drive it daily and have no other cars at your disposal.

Dream911 said:
If the car has to be used on a daily basis as a means of transport then get the 996. Its much more modern and far easier to get on and simple things like functioning air con or the demister etc will bug you in a 964 if you "have" to use it daily.

If on the other hand the car is a weekend toy to be used simply as a "going for a drive" kind of car then the 964 is by far the better option. 964 feels so much more special and more of an event to drive BUT will get you down if you have to drive it daily and have no other cars at your disposal.

:agree:

Sounds like good advice.
Depends on what you want the car for :grin:
Good luck :thumb:

Just buy a 964 and stop mucking about :wink:

Buy the one your heart tells you to, then enjoy your new 964 everyday :thumb:

I love the 964 Turbo 8)

dazzagt3 said:
I love the 964 Turbo 8)

+1
I think if I was looking at a 964, the turbo would be the only consideration.

Hi

The 964 turbo is a very special car. What's your budget? If you get a fully sorted 964C2 or C4 it should be fine as a daily drive, but as has been said you will have to live with some quirks that a 996 will not have.

Berni.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back