Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC warranty

916SP

Hello all

Well time has come, do I or don't I? I have owned my 997 C2S for just about a year would seem and the shiny OPC warranty has run out. I have been invited to spend more hard earned cash to extend the warranty for another year after I have spent yet more cash for my zillion poi :?: nt check by OPC Reading.

Honestly speaking I have no issues with the car and she has 50K miles racked up, yet I have heard of some nightmare tales which if not covered under warranty would cost a proverbial arm and a leg to fix!

I am minded to extend the warranty for further piece of mind as I do not plan to change the car in the near future.

Any thought from you learned lot would be most welcome. I have her booked in for next week at the moment. :?:

Normally I am against warranty, in in fact only yesterday turned down the kind offer from Aston Martin to renew mine for the bargain price of £1400,

However with the potential IMS and scored bores, and the fact that they do replace pretty much everything, I would be renewing a Porsche one.

An old conumdrum, The warranty does provide peace of mind, the 111 point pre check assures you and Porsche the car is sound, you have the benefit of Porsche assist should anything go wrong - but you could be paying over 1k for something you dont need.

Its all a bit of a game, you are betting the car will need work and Porsche are betting it doesnt but the truth is the average repair under warranty must be less than the warranty price otherwise the warranty would rise to cover the costs.

The only negative to Porsche warranty is the number of items not covered and their restrictive clauses that invalidate the warranty - silly things such as not fitting a Porsche battery or wiper blades when their warranty does not cover these items in the first place.
I can understand why Porsche want all their vehicles with all genuine Porsche parts but non warranty components doesnt make sense, i think if Porsche want to insist everything is OEM then everything should be covered.

There are other warranty companies available that dont insist everything is OEM with as good or even better cover out there (warrantywise for example) but you will need breakdown assistance as a seperate product.

Piece of mind says get the Porsche warranty, sense says warranty with someone else, The gambler in me says no warranty and take my chance and for me this has paid off with every car i have had, the only thing i do do is get breakdown cover with relay.

Only you know what is right for you - how lucky do you feel?

You don't say what age your car is or how many miles you are intending to do this year so it's difficult to advise.

If it was me and the car was bought for relatively big money a year ago I'd happily renew an OPC warranty to give me the peace of mind for another years motoring, especially if I was wanting to make good use of the car.

If the car is older (pre 06 :dont know: ) and I only intended to use it for c3k miles in the next year I might consider not bothering with a warranty.

The one thing I definitely would not do is change the OPC warranty for a cheaper one.

OPC Warranty

Thanks guys for the comments

Arghhh it's a real gamble. Tructh of the matter is the car is awesome 55 plate with just 50K on the clock. I drive it sensibly but when opportunity knocks I "enjoy it". Frankly speaking I will cover less than 5K miles in her this year .....

I have already abided by the stupid rules of new battery etc...

I am minded to invest in the OPC warranty if nothing more than piece of mind and if I ever do sell her it is further evidence of it being a cherished vehicle etc....

Personally I would have it.

Ok it will oct about 2.3k for 2 years however it will help you sleep at night and fixing the little bits and bobs that come up will soon add up to a lot of money over the 2 years.

Just looked at Warrantywise myself... any suggestions for what to choose for the 'single repair limit'? It's set to £5,000 based on my car ('05 997 C2S on 65k)

"”single repair limit: £5,000
"”labour rate 2: unto £75/hour
"ӣ924

What was the cost indication from warranty wise?
Sorry can't help regarding single job cost but I will watch the answers from our learned friends.

I'm going to be in the same situation 1 year from now and have considered making some small modifications to the car using non OEM parts which would invalidate the warranty.

I'm planning on doing some track days and I spoke to someone in the car industry (not allighned to Porsche in any way) to get their thoughts. They thought it was a no brainer to renew the warranty especially as it covers track day use and there's no limit to the claim. For piece of mind I'm going to keep everything standard and pay for the extended warranty, I don't want to start to imagine what the bill would be if the engine goes pop.

windy said:
Just looked at Warrantywise myself... any suggestions for what to choose for the 'single repair limit'? It's set to £5,000 based on my car ('05 997 C2S on 65k)

"”single repair limit: £5,000
"”labour rate 2: unto £75/hour
"ӣ924

If this is for 12 months then it doesn't look great value. The Porsche warranty (without RAC) is £1020.00 with no max limit, and obviously Porsche labour rates paid in full.

Just had a quick look on the WW site. To cover Porsche labour rates, have a £10k limit and items covered by the Porsche warranty, brings the cost up to just under £1500 for a year !

Re: OPC Warranty

916SP said:
I am minded to invest in the OPC warranty if nothing more than piece of mind and if I ever do sell her it is further evidence of it being a cherished vehicle etc....

If it helps make it seem more palatable, think of it in terms of £2.79 per day :grin:

Hi there

If you want complete peace of mind buy the warranty!

If you don't mind the fact it may throw up faults, recently I had an engine mount snapped, Porsche replaced both under warranty, I suspect the parts and labour for that would have cost me over £500.

If you don't mind the potential of such things failing which can cost upto 2k then don't buy the warranty take the chance.

But if the engine fails, that could cost around 15k.

However if my engine failed on a car that was less than 10yr old and sub 100k miles and had been serviced on time always and looked after I'd be expecting Porsche to replace the engine or contribute to that replacement. Afterall you expect a premium quality car to last a reasonable amount of time and I don't think 10yr and sub 100k miles is an unreasonable amount of time for a premium vehicle to last.

So buy warranty if you want hassle free warranty repairs and peace of mind.

Don't buy warranty if you don't mind paying for minor issues (upto 2k) or are willing to have the stress and battles with Porsche of trying to get your engine replaced should it let go. Not saying it will but it could do.

The problem I see with getting a warranty from the OPC is having to pay for the 111 point inspection and then paying them to correct everything they "find" before you can have the warranty.

I looked at a 997 recently and that had about £4k of repairs required according to the notes on the last service (steering rack, dampers, damper top mounts, discs, pads and few odds and ends). The discs and pads were fine and further investigation showed nothing wrong with the rack or top mounts. The issue with the damper was a slightly corroded piston rod - and they all suffer from this. Another non-issue.

I didn't buy the car in the end based on other stuff the OPC hadn't picked up on, including scored cylinder bores, but to have put it under warranty for a year would have cost around £5k (poss more) mainly on stuff that didn't need doing.

Given that the main problem you're trying to protect yourself from is engine related I would go to a good indy and get them to do a boroscope and compression test for less than £100. If any problems show up, renew the warranty pronto. If nothing shows up you'll be better informed as to which direction to go.

Btw, I spoke to an OPC recently regarding the 111 point check and was amazed to hear that they don't check the engine!

If you can afford it, do it.

Once the car hits 10yrs of age you're on your own anyway so might as well extend it while you can.

I'm sure it will help any future resale.

Well I have 6 months left on my warranty so I plan to do the 111 point check while the car is still under warranty so hopefully anything they pick up will be covered anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back