Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suggestions for a £25k budget

BooSmile

Since being on the search for a Boxster 987 for myself, and having my dad test drive a few to help me out a bit.. He has officially fallen in love with Porkers! So he's now wanting to sell up his Evo 8 (running 400/400) and he wants to spend around £25k on a Porsche of some sort.

So to put it simply; What can my dad buy for £25k? It will probably be a 996 Turbo or a 997 of some sort. Would a 996 turbo be better because of his evo background? Or will the power of a 997 Carrera of some sort still be good enough?

Any suggestions would be great. :D

one of the best parts of porsche ownership is the looking ,wanting, trying , studying & researching before finally getting the keys :worship:
try a few out ? different ones may appeal that at first did not ? :thumb:
the search is part of the pleasure

BooSmile said:
he wants to spend around £25k on a Porsche of some sort...

...Any suggestions would be great. :D

Ok, look in the ads and you can buy two early 996's for the price of a late 993, or a very very good 997, but in the long term he has...

...spent no money!

As, in a year, in five years, or in ten years, the 993 will be worth what he paid, maybe more. So the old 'nest egg' is intact, AND he gets to own what many are already calling 'the last eleven'.
:thumb:

997 if something modern, 996 Turbo has great power.

Not a 993 IMO!

What part of Porsche has he fallen for?

If it's the badge, build quality and handling he'd probably be best spending the cash on the newest car he can find, so a 997.

If he's still into the performance thing then, after his previous steeds, only a 996 Turbo will suffice.

If he's ready to don slippers, grow a beard and smoke a pipe he'd probably be best looking at 993s.

Seriously, a 'cooking' 997 would probably only give him a short term fix and would hurt depreciation wise. A decent 'keeper' 993 would cost more than £25k. A 996T would tick all the boxes and not depreciate too badly if bought sensibly and well looked after.

Boo Smile

:bandit: hi Boo Smile , In my opinion £25k will get u a good 996 Carrera S , Manual , Coupe . Don't get automatic or soft top . :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: Look at JZM website , i recommend them , ask for Chris :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Attachments

• 3e003cfec057736f28c52d3c685bd536_8_203.jpg
    3e003cfec057736f28c52d3c685bd536_8_203.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 10,320
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

T8996C4 said:
What part of Porsche has he fallen for?

If it's the badge, build quality and handling he'd probably be best spending the cash on the newest car he can find, so a 997.

If he's still into the performance thing then, after his previous steeds, only a 996 Turbo will suffice.

If he's ready to don slippers, grow a beard and smoke a pipe he'd probably be best looking at 993s.

Seriously, a 'cooking' 997 would probably only give him a short term fix and would hurt depreciation wise. A decent 'keeper' 993 would cost more than £25k. A 996T would tick all the boxes and not depreciate too badly if bought sensibly and well looked after.

I think he's fallen for the build quality, handling and the feeling when he drives one.

He's definitely not willing to give up performance just yet.. but he has said that he likes the look for a 997 much better, especially if it has a spoiler.

I don't think he'd like to go to a car as old as the 993 though.. :dont know:

I'm trying to get him to try a few Porsches before he decides, But he hates the attitude of most sales people at dealers/traders, especially when you walk in like a normal person and not something 'special'..

Re: Boo Smile

cubasteve said:
:bandit: hi Boo Smile , In my opinion £25k will get u a good 996 Carrera S , Manual , Coupe . Don't get automatic or soft top . :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: Look at JZM website , i recommend them , ask for Chris :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

I've looked on the JZM website, but is it me, or is there not many Porsches for sale on their site? Most of them are sold? Any ideas if their website is up to date? Or I might just give them a call sometime soon. :D

BooSmile

:bandit: True the JZM website doesn't seem to have many Porsches for sale . What you need to do is speak to them . tell them what your looking for . They hear of customers thinking of selling , know the car and hopefully recommend one to u . CubaSteve :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

997 C2S - there are loads available for £25k, esp if you're not worried about haggling a little on the price...

It's all the Porsche you'll ever need.

Which Porsche to Buy

:bandit: True the 997 Carrera S is the Best , i have that model . But mine cost £40k . Maybe it's possible to get one for £25k . :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

:) I was in a similar position last November. I had previously owned Boxster S & a 993 (911); but after my 993 I had an A6 Quattro. Then Porsche asked me if I wanted a new 997 GTS for the weekend. Rude to say no I obliged. It just got me wanting another one!! I didn't want to spend more than £25K & narrowed it down to a 997 S, 996 C4S or a 996 turbo. To be honest I didn't think I could get a 996 turbo for that price. IMO it's a no brainer - def 996 turbo. It's such an iconic model & also the engine is based on the GT1 block which is more reliable. The 997 can suffer from bore scoring & other problems. That did play a small part in my decision. The Chief Porsche Mechanic at Dovehouse (where I bought mine) said he has done several engine re-builds on 997's but has never had to do one on a turbo. Also side by side the 996 turbo has much more presence IMO. Mine is a 2001 car, full OPC service history, 55K miles; cost £25K.

Don't get me wrong I do like the 997 & I'am sure if he went down that route he would be very happy.

Good Luck!

what to buy

:bandit: Dovehouse is another very good porsche dealer . Mine is a 2007 C2S and did buy it over 2 years ago . But owning many cars over the years , my only one from hell was a Renualt turbo GT5 , had problems with engine and turbo . Just put me off Turbos . I prefer a original 996 or 997 Carrera S , manual , coupe (too many problems with soft tops) , with £25k to spend you could really buy a fine 996 Carrera S . :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

If he wants to get most of his money back a 964 or a 993....If he's after a modern car skip the 996 and look at 997s GL :thumb:

Not a single problem on the Turbos on my 997 in 3 years of ownership and no problems in the slightest with the canvas tops on my cabs over 7 years.........

But, give the budget I'd most likely go for a 997S

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back