Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 28
997 : 2004- 63
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 23
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 7
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too worked out an ideal solution (and the equivalent fractional solutions)

And the one I implemented was the most appropriate to the existent hardware (ie there is a certain beauty in reusing the PCB with the fewest cuts)

You should also consider any array's sensitivity to voltage drift (for me, the brake lights must work both with engine off: 11.5-12.5v and with engine running alternator: 14.5v)

If you run the max current calcs on both extremes on the non-linear LED characteristics, you realise you are better (more tolerant) running external voltage drops across linear reisistors.

Any way, long story short, if you use "normal" 2.5mm diameter resistors (in high power design), the headroom is plenty in the back of the brake light enclosure (cf the 1.5-2mm diameter of the standard wiring etc that already fits in there: just cut the supply cable and run the resistors in series) .

EDIT: just look at the supply tabs (spades) on the track side of PCB, they are circa 3mm off the board, and accept the female spade caps too (adding 1+mm), so you can see the resistors are easily lower than that.

NB: you will need to extend one side of the internal supply wiring/cabling by about 20cm (from memory) anyway, as I flipped one of the original entry/exit supply tabs to be opposite end of the PCB: my current runs from one end of the PCB to the other (via alternating batches of LEDs on the array "ladder"), unlike the original 100% parallel incandescent bulb design (which had a top and bottom/positive and negative supply "bus bars").

PS - I should perhaps have updated this thread, but still wanting more power, I tweaked the current even higher (it was technically on the conservative side of the available 8,000 mcd), so I swapped one pair of resistors for 23R (IIRC).

ie 11.5R effective @ 1.2W max on one end, and 23.5R @ 1.2W max at the other (don't forget to stagger the resistors for most efficient packing).

So a drop from 47R total, to 35R.

You may wish to start @ 47R|47R x 2 too, and see how you go, intensity wise (given current LED output characteristics may be better now any way), and drop down as you see fit.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RobIpswichUK
Watkins Glen


Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2038
Location: Ipswich (at a guess!)

1994 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangecurry wrote:


arrrrrrrrgh I don't understand!



I don't understand either.
GT4 - Any step by step instructions on the array wiring for Electrical numpties (like me)?
_________________
Rob
'94 C2 Iris Blue (+ White Stripes!) Cup 2's, Big Ovals, FSD's/Eibach, OMP Strut Brace, 200 Cell Powerspeed Cats, 1.75" Hollamby Exhaust bypass, Carnewal FPB.
Mercedes SL (R230 lowered + AMG wheels)
Range Rover Sport V8 (L320 chipped)
TT Roadster (standard - wife’s daily!)
W211 E320CDI Barge (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)
E91 320d SE Touring (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Big Jock
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 310
Location: Culroy


PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all that supposed to be interesting?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe for meringue is invariably less enjoyable than the eating.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobIpswichUK wrote:
orangecurry wrote:


arrrrrrrrgh I don't understand!



I don't understand either.
GT4 - Any step by step instructions on the array wiring for Electrical numpties (like me)?


I'll draw a picture next time I'm on the PC.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
PeterS
Fuji


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 9298
Location: Solihull

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT4 wrote:
The recipe for meringue is invariably less enjoyable than the eating.


Great quote.

Smile
_________________
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Citori
Kyalami


Joined: 09 Oct 2010
Posts: 1825
Location: Rural Essex..

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT4 wrote:
I too worked out an ideal solution (and the equivalent fractional solutions)

And the one I implemented was the most appropriate to the existent hardware (ie there is a certain beauty in reusing the PCB with the fewest cuts)

You should also consider any array's sensitivity to voltage drift (for me, the brake lights must work both with engine off: 11.5-12.5v and with engine running alternator: 14.5v)

If you run the max current calcs on both extremes on the non-linear LED characteristics, you realise you are better (more tolerant) running external voltage drops across linear reisistors.

Any way, long story short, if you use "normal" 2.5mm diameter resistors (in high power design), the headroom is plenty in the back of the brake light enclosure (cf the 1.5-2mm diameter of the standard wiring etc that already fits in there: just cut the supply cable and run the resistors in series) .

EDIT: just look at the supply tabs (spades) on the track side of PCB, they are circa 3mm off the board, and accept the female spade caps too (adding 1+mm), so you can see the resistors are easily lower than that.

NB: you will need to extend one side of the internal supply wiring/cabling by about 20cm (from memory) anyway, as I flipped one of the original entry/exit supply tabs to be opposite end of the PCB: my current runs from one end of the PCB to the other (via alternating batches of LEDs on the array "ladder"), unlike the original 100% parallel incandescent bulb design (which had a top and bottom/positive and negative supply "bus bars").

PS - I should perhaps have updated this thread, but still wanting more power, I tweaked the current even higher (it was technically on the conservative side of the available 8,000 mcd), so I swapped one pair of resistors for 23R (IIRC).

ie 11.5R effective @ 1.2W max on one end, and 23.5R @ 1.2W max at the other (don't forget to stagger the resistors for most efficient packing).

So a drop from 47R total, to 35R.

You may wish to start @ 47R|47R x 2 too, and see how you go, intensity wise (given current LED output characteristics may be better now any way), and drop down as you see fit.


OK. Thanks for that information.
I will try the 47R resistors first off and see how I get on, also I have some of these to hand which helps.
I agree that the less chopping about of the original board the better so I think I will follow your original example.
The thing that bothers me the most if getting the top cover off without damaging it! It does seem very tightly fixed on.
Off on holiday pretty soon, so I will get to it when I get back.
Thanks again for the info.
ATB
Steve.
_________________
Previously enjoyed Porsche:
1996 C2 Coupe.
1983 911 Carrera Targa Sport.
1981 911SC Sport.
1978 911SC.
1970 911E.

I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE..

Aircooled or nothin....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Citori
Kyalami


Joined: 09 Oct 2010
Posts: 1825
Location: Rural Essex..

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobIpswichUK wrote:
orangecurry wrote:


arrrrrrrrgh I don't understand!



I don't understand either.
GT4 - Any step by step instructions on the array wiring for Electrical numpties (like me)?


Rob.
If I get mine working OK I will do yours for the cost of the parts and breakfast at The Hare. How's that for a deal?
_________________
Previously enjoyed Porsche:
1996 C2 Coupe.
1983 911 Carrera Targa Sport.
1981 911SC Sport.
1978 911SC.
1970 911E.

I have CDO. It’s like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE..

Aircooled or nothin....
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RobIpswichUK
Watkins Glen


Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2038
Location: Ipswich (at a guess!)

1994 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citori wrote:
RobIpswichUK wrote:
orangecurry wrote:


arrrrrrrrgh I don't understand!



I don't understand either.
GT4 - Any step by step instructions on the array wiring for Electrical numpties (like me)?


Rob.
If I get mine working OK I will do yours for the cost of the parts and breakfast at The Hare. How's that for a deal?


Done
_________________
Rob
'94 C2 Iris Blue (+ White Stripes!) Cup 2's, Big Ovals, FSD's/Eibach, OMP Strut Brace, 200 Cell Powerspeed Cats, 1.75" Hollamby Exhaust bypass, Carnewal FPB.
Mercedes SL (R230 lowered + AMG wheels)
Range Rover Sport V8 (L320 chipped)
TT Roadster (standard - wife’s daily!)
W211 E320CDI Barge (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)
E91 320d SE Touring (must not forget - NEED TO SELL!)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterS wrote:
GT4 wrote:
The recipe for meringue is invariably less enjoyable than the eating.


Great quote.

Smile


It wasn't a quote (although it is now) worship
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citori wrote:
RobIpswichUK wrote:
orangecurry wrote:


arrrrrrrrgh I don't understand!



I don't understand either.
GT4 - Any step by step instructions on the array wiring for Electrical numpties (like me)?


Rob.
If I get mine working OK I will do yours for the cost of the parts and breakfast at The Hare. How's that for a deal?


I'm assuming my usual 15% applies here? food food
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citori wrote:
OK. Thanks for that information.
I will try the 47R resistors first off and see how I get on, also I have some of these to hand which helps.
I agree that the less chopping about of the original board the better so I think I will follow your original example.
The thing that bothers me the most if getting the top cover off without damaging it! It does seem very tightly fixed on.
Off on holiday pretty soon, so I will get to it when I get back.
Thanks again for the info.
ATB
Steve.


The high level brake light enclosure is sealed with an adhesive foam gasket.

I deliberately didn't refer to it as "sticky", because it no longer is (it may have been set/hardened at factory, but it is certainly set now!)

You will need to carefully pry it away from one side (back lid) using a thin, but not sharp tool (I slowly slid a needle along the join).

Once the LED work was complete and rehoused, I carefully "painted" the foam gasket with a PVA glue using a thin artists paintbrush and reassembled the back to seal it up again.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCB diagrams

Click here for larger

NB:35-47R is appropriate for use with the 2.1v / 20mA LEDs I used.

Using 4 individual resistors allows greater total power rating than one single equivalent resistance resistor of the same physical size.

If the operating parameters of your LEDs differ, you will need to calculate new resistors (resistance and power ratings).

If you use higher intensity LEDs, you may need to decrease the current too.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre caps @ 14 v3 now (Schwarz, L744)

Nut caps @ 15 v2 now (Black * 20)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
stuttgartmetal
Indianapolis


Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Posts: 2429
Location: Caterham. Surrey


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels off to change centrecaps?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 13228
Location: Cheshire

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come the spokes are black Dont know
_________________
The game's afoot. It's time to put a bit of (Colini) stick about......"Shall I open her up Miss Jones and show 'em a clean pair of heels?" "Do you think that's wise Mr Rigsby this is a very old car"
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuttgartmetal wrote:
Wheels off to change centrecaps?


Yes.

But how often do you change centre caps and not the wheels Dont know

Stops then getting nicked and I don't think plastic suits the 993.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife


Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 30174
Location: Hertfordshire and Hampshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
How come the spokes are black Dont know


I think Exel Wheels are to blame.

Just to clarify - last night's post was a progress update (the original thread is TWO years old now), I also updated my garage mods (click my sig pic below or "1996 Porsche 911" linky in the bar to the left under my post count)

So all 34 are now listed (or corrected, if removed or replaced), with relevant photo evidence and/or linky thread.

Wheel refurb is #30.

Other threads have been updated, but I just edited them, rather than added a post - which of course, in this case, had the unintended consequence of bumping up an old thread and begging silly questions.

But fire away ...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum