Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would I get for my money? (Boxster)

BooSmile

I've been looking at a few Boxster 987s recently, but I'm just wondering what sort of year, spec and milage would I get for £13-14k?

I've only been looking at manual Boxsters, so I haven't tried tiptronic yet. So what is tiptronic like? Would you prefer it over a Manual? I can't stretch enough for Boxsters with PDK.. So any advice is highly appreciated. :D

I'm not sure anyone can help you with the manual/tiptronic choice. It's very much a matter of personal opinion. Try them both and decide whichever you prefer.
As for what you get for your money - the important things to consider together IMO are mileage/condition/documented history. After that it's all down to personal likes and dislikes with regard to spec/colour etc.
Happy hunting. You might find a better deal in November though.

pzero said:
I'm not sure anyone can help you with the manual/tiptronic choice. It's very much a matter of personal opinion. Try them both and decide whichever you prefer.
As for what you get for your money - the important things to consider together IMO are mileage/condition/documented history. After that it's all down to personal likes and dislikes with regard to spec/colour etc.
Happy hunting. You might find a better deal in November though.

Is tiptronic basically a manual but with no clutch? Never tried tiptronic, so I have no idea what's it like. :oops:

Why November? Because it's after Summer? But I'm not too sure I can wait that long to drive a Porsche.. :D

There's 000's on autotrader and even more on PH so you'd do well to spend some time browsing on there.

afaik £13k should get you into an 04 or 05 decent spec car with c50k miles if bought at a dealer.

Be aware though that cars of that age are still depreciating and will do for the next 5 years. Anything you buy at that price will retail at £1k per year less each year so as soon as you drive it off the forecourt it'll be worth £2k less as a trade-in.

Obviously you can save a lot of money by buying, and selling, privately but if you do, be sure to get a PPI done first.

Tips are probably a little cheaper but make sure that you drive one first, as it may not suit your needs. If you do drive one make sure that you give it a chance to show what it can do in 'M' mode.

Good luck :thumb:

BooSmile said:
Is tiptronic basically a manual but with no clutch? Never tried tiptronic, so I have no idea what's it like. :oops:

Why November? Because it's after Summer? But I'm not too sure I can wait that long to drive a Porsche.. :D

Tiptronic is an automatic but with the facility to select 'manual' mode and use buttons on the wheel to change gear at whatever revs you decide.

Auto fans think tiptronic is great. Manual fans seem to despise them.

Further to my previous post .......... also be aware that values of Boxsters tumble in the winter so if you buy one in the spring or summer and sell it in the winter it can cost you a lot of extra money. if you can't wait until the winter to buy one make sure that you then keep it for a year+.

I've also currently started looking at 987 Boxster S's.

I signed up for this forum as a prospective 996.2 owner but am now thinking for my personal circumstances a Boxster could me a more appropriate purchase in the immediate future.

My budget is £13k and there are a few very well spec'd 2005 Boxster S's with around 70-80k in my budget, with your £14k budget there's likely to be more choice.

I assume it's the S your after and not the 2.7 boxster?

From most of what I've read about these cars manual is a no brainer, especially if you can find one with the "sport shifter" as the yanks call it...

What you choose comes down to personal choice of spec, bare in mind the Boxster S comes better spec'd as standard.

In all honesty though I think I'm going to hold my cash until Christmas time when these car's take a significant duck in price.. Hopefully then my options will be more vast and I can the total package I want within budget.

Spec I want is: BOSE sound system, PASM with sport chrono, multifunctional steering wheel and 19" alloys..

Ideally a car with M030 suspension, extended leather and factory tinted glass would be good but beggars can't be choosers :thumb:

baderlfc said:
I assume it's the S your after and not the 2.7 boxster?

In all honesty though I think I'm going to hold my cash until Christmas time when these car's take a significant duck in price.. Hopefully then my options will be more vast and I can the total package I want within budget.

Cheers for the reply. :thumbs:
I'm actually looking at the 2.7.. being only 20, I won't be able to insure the S or I will definitely jump at the opportunity.

I don't think I could wait till Christmas time.. :duh:

-------------------

I recently have been looking at a 987 2.7 and I'd just like some views from you guys:

Boxster 987 2.7L
Atlas Grey
54k miles
PSM, Air Con, Cruise control, Leather Heated Seats.
Full service history - OPC, but the last service was done at an Indy at 45k miles which included the change of the brake fluid.
5 months left on Tax and MOT

18" Diamond cut cayman alloys
Alpine CDE-W203, Audison SRX-2 and Hertz Space K8L speakers.
Private warranty till 2013

Body work is supposedly very good (I haven't seen it yet - half way across the country for me).

What would you guys think this is worth? The owner wouldn't budge on the current price though..

For those that can wait until after the summer, then not only will the car be "out of season" so to speak (if that really happens with so very many for sale at the moment I am sceptical about it), but continung depreciation will mean you get a better car for you money. I.e. todays £15k cars will be less come Nov/Dec due to all sorts of factors, not least by then there will be more second hand 981 boxsters out there pushing prices further down.

Plus you can save a bit of extra cash in the meantime.

But why wait ?

Plenty of 2.7's around in that price range, you can pretty much have your pick of colour combo/spec etc...

I'd wait and get an "S" personally end of the year.

As Sausage says the new Boxsters will be coming into the used market causing 987's to initially depreciate quicker

baderlfc said:
Plenty of 2.7's around in that price range, you can pretty much have your pick of colour combo/spec etc...

I'd wait and get an "S" personally end of the year.

As Sausage says the new Boxsters will be coming into the used market causing 987's to initially depreciate quicker

Plenty 2.7s around, but there has only been 1 or 2 which I've liked and they're half way across the country, which I don't mind as much.. But I still don't see many I like.. :frustrated:

There doesn't seem to be many 2.7s around with the PCM. Is the PCM worth having? Or would an aftermarket one be better?

Could anyone give me a list of the extra options which were available for the 987 2.7? Thanks. :worship:

I honestly wish I could wait.. But it's getting extremely tempting, especially when I have the money waiting to purchase one straight away.. :sad:
Anyone have any guesses on how much the 987s will depreciate by, by the end of the year? If it's only £1-1.5k I don't think it's worth the wait.. but if it's more, I definitely will reconsider..

If you google for the options list you should find it.
Search for depreciation on the forum. I saw something a few days ago but cant remember what it was now - best not to think about it.

HOwever, if you want a 2005 and want to keep it for 2 years, then looking at the prices of a 2003 should give you a rough idea of how much it will deprecitate. Dont foget the new model will push prices down a little as well.

I think PCM is worth it with tel and sat nav.

Mark

I don't think a 2005 car will depreciate too badly over a couple of years.

If you get a low mileage model and keep the miles down then I'd be surprised to see you lose more than £2.5-3k on a £13k car.

People still asking £11k+ for 03/04 986's, whether or not they are selling I don't know.

I've heard differing opinions on the PCM, personally it's not something I'm interested in as I have sat nav on my iphone and have a garmin lying at home if I ever need it...

If I was you I'd hold out for an S though.. generally better spec'd and your avoiding that moment when your in your 2.7 and an S goes past and you wish you'd waited!

Well I've put deposit on one today. :D

But I'm just wondering, could anyone give me the options/extras price list for the 987?

I just want to know how much extra things such as leather, wind shield, xenon lights, extra storage etc costs.

Thanks. :worship:

I think I got a copy of the original doc "New price notification" from OPC which included the costs of the extras.

bi-xenon £600
Top tint £57
Leather int (dash/doors) £1600
wind deflector £184

metallic paint £485

The list is endless. Even my basic steering wheel (3 spoke) which I thought was standard was £120.
Colour wheel centres - £91.

Mark

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pazz
Back