Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Macan spyshots

Roro

Coming right up, 1 shrunken Cayenne....

Words & pictures from Autoevolution.com

No more renderings, no more speculative reports (for now), this is the real Porsche Macan, a brand new SUV from the German automaker, which is supposed to have sporty valences and a coupe-ish body style.

Porsche is moving ahead at blistering speed with development of the Macan, and in typical German fashion they look set to bring the goods to market on schedule.

The platform for the Macan is basically borrowed from the Audi Q5 and upcoming Q6, a fact that is clearly demonstrated by the very Audi-like wheels on this test vehicle. The differences will obviously come in the luxury department, and in the fact that the Macan will come with the sporty feel the Q5 obviously lacks.

But since we've got the fist spy photos of the car, let's talk about the design of the SUV. The headlights, taillights and that fake chrome strip towards the rear of the doors are actually stickers meant to fool you into thinking it's actually a Cayenne.

However, the differences aren't actually that big when you look at a picture of Porsche's best selling SUV. The Macan has a bigger center grille, no creases on the bonnet, a sloped back and longer overhangs. But you'd be forgiven for thinking they're the same vehicle if you're not an aficionado.

The overall impression we got is that the Macan and Cayenne will be differentiated by the price, with the former offering more mainstream powetrains borrowed from Audi than tuned to Porsche levels, culminating with a 375 PS V6 for the Macan Turbo. This would make the top Macan some 80 hp more powerful than the Cayenne base model. Think of it as the Cayman sitting underneath the 911 in the range.

The Macan will also reportedly be powered by the first Porsche four-cylinder engine since the 968 was phased out in 1995.

Sports SUV to end all? No, more like a market stop-gap!

spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_3.jpg

spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_1.jpg

spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_7.jpg

spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_6.jpg

spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_5.jpg

I'm going to hold judgment on the Macan until I see the finished article - if it sucks I'll just get a Cayenne :thumb:

I'm really hoping they don't drop another fugly clanger like the Panamera. I spent a while at an OPC the other day and had a good look at the Panamera. In isolation bits of it (rear light cluster, front quarter, front headlights) look good, but when you see the assembled article it just looks completely wrong and unbalanced to my eyes. It's definitely not better than the sum of it's parts!

the panamera is a porsche i love & hate very dependent on spec/wheels & colour ,
ive seen ones that made me snigger but also there,s one pops around near me that looks blinding :thumb:

What I really can't understand is why this Nissan (sorry, Datsun, I mean Infiniti) is starting to grow on me -

2009-Infiniti-FX50.jpg

I'm tempted to arrange a test drive :coat:

A Macan, yesterday:
2g_640.jpg

A Cayenne, yesterday:
spyshots-porsche-macan-first-photos-medium_3.jpg

I understand the Porsche design dept. poached the chap who presses the "COPY" button at Audi :dont know:

I like the Q5 but it looks a bit dull and like a lot of other Audi's which is why I won't buy one. I'd rather have that weird Nissan FX thing, or ideally a Cayenne (which I'm due to test drive this weekend) or a Macan.

It's so ugly it looks good :grin: It's the sort of motor Men in Black should be using. As for the new Macan Audi are determined to undermine it or water it down performance wise with their own offering. I really believed Porsche had a chance here to so something with the panels even though they had to retain the screen and bulkhead. I thought we had done with the "Family" look and where striking out for individuality not "Honey I shrunk the Cayenne" :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back